Search the forum,

Discuss Gas Pipe Duct/boxing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

thecalvers

I would like to create boxing around gas and water pipes for the installation of a shower. The shower is part of an extension that has a steel gas pipe rising into the new bathroom that was once external. Can I duct around the pipe to take it to the wall... could the term duct include boxing around that pipe and other water pipes as long as it is vented where I can run it externally, then back through a wall to the meter in a adjoining garage.

Can I have this duct/boxing directly under a shower creating a type of shelf in the shower?

yes you can box a gas pipe in, if the boxing is over 0.01m2 then you will need to vent it with the correct size ventilation. If you want the pipework altered then get a local gas safe engineer to give you a quote for the work.

Would I have to buy ready made vents or could I just drill venting in? If the boxing is 0.6x0.1x1m then what size vent would I need??? Thank you.

yes you can box a gas pipe in, if the boxing is over 0.01m2 then you will need to vent it with the correct size ventilation. If you want the pipework altered then get a local gas safe engineer to give you a quote for the work.

vents need minimum and maximum sized holes, and you need to be able to see that the venting has the correct free flow of air.
the best way to do that is to by purpose made vents that clearly state the vent area size in cm2.
as already said by AW your gas engineer that does the pipework will be best suited to advise on this.

going by the sizes you've given, there's a caveat in BS6891:2005 (section 8.11.1) which could apply - if the volume of your boxing in is less than 0.1 m^3 then it is considered to be adeqautely ventilated via adventitious means and therefore no additional ventilation is required. The sizes you've given result in a volume of 0.06m^3, don't know if that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Gas Pipe Duct/boxing in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Had conventional boiler and tanks removed last year and new combi fitted and just recently had it serviced but the guy who did it has given me a gas warning notice for at risk as the outside wall meter box has been drilled through for the gas pipe to go horizontal straight to the boiler. The...
Replies
Views
Hi all I really need some help or advise….. Back story….. Some years ago my dad had an extension to his house which included a newly built downstairs shower room. Recently he had this downstairs shower room re-fitted/decorated. Quite a simple set up consisting of a sink, toilet and shower...
Replies
Views
Hello. I am planning to build a small half bath in my garage, next to a washing machine, using old showers plumbing. There was a stand-alone shower in the garage which has been removed. Unfortunately the pipes are only 1.5" on that side of the house since there's no bathroom and the house is...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, hope all is well! I’ve fitted a compression cap on two of my shower mixer copper pipes (15mm). One of them has scratches and burring and is very slightly out of shape. It leaked but I added some PFTE tape over the olive and it seems to of done the job. However… I’m tiling the wall and...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a couple of leaks coming under shower tray downstairs. One is along the wall so think might be joint between wall and tray and the other seems to be near waste tray, there is a slight hairline crack in shower tray near waste . This happens when I leave the shower head near the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock