Search the forum,
  • Thread starter Billy Bob Bob
  • Start date
  • Replies 45
  • Views 5K
  • gas

Discuss gas explosion in notts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope this isnt down to another inexperienced engineer, sad for the poor families.

sad to see, and there will be a few tight sphincters around that area tonight as some people start wondering if they were the last gsr in there.

Quite a few of these incidents of late have turned out to be criminal acts of vengeance rather than incompetence.

My bum twitched when this came on the news a few, well nearly five, years ago. I'd worked in every single one of those flats a few years earlier doing upgrades (OV CH to sealed) and no gas work was involved, didn't stop me sweating for a second though.

think steve diamond gas has had the biggest asre twitcher of all,he had done a service in a house that exploded turns out tenant had tried to commit suicide

think steve diamond gas has had the biggest asre twitcher of all,he had done a service in a house that exploded turns out tenant had tried to commit suicide

Probably thought his life was over when he seen Steve's bill.

Address is 28 Wright St... if that rings a bell. Apparently there are people trapped and people could hear kids screaming. Not nice, not nice at all.

sad to see, and there will be a few tight sphincters around that area tonight as some people start wondering if they were the last gsr in there.
lol

just out side my covered turf (25 miles) but i had to check as the last time i was there it was from one of the members on here!.
i think this house is a basement gas meter?.

latest report it is believed there are still 2 men trapped under the rubble although they can see evidence of one of them, so not looking good..

"Me and another guy ran over there and number 28 was just a pile of rubble.

"I've never seen anything like it in my life. It was carnage, devastation.

"There was a guy there and I asked him whose house it was and he said 'mine' and there were people still inside.

"He'd been pulled out from under a beam. He was covered in dust and had blood coming from his eyes.

"We climbed the rubble but there was a risk of the rubble collapsing into the cellar and then the whole thing caught fire.

"We had to withdraw, then the first of the emergency services arrived.

"They were saying there was one in the loft and one in the cellar. If there was anyone in the loft - well they're gone.
People hurt in gas blast | Newark Advertiser

well its a major incident as its on sky news.

not all make the nationals

The councillor said: ‘Les told me he was going around to help install some new central heating radiators. There is talk of a boiler exploding but there wasn’t one at the house.

‘Les told me they were going to get the radiators sorted and then call a plumber in to fit a boiler.’

Councillor Isard added: ‘I don’t know what has happened. Les was competent at DIY - he’d fitted radiators before - but he wouldn’t have had a blow lamp or been messing about with the gas supply. ‘
Newark gas explosion: Retired company director and daughter-in-law killed as it's revealed baby was pulled from rubble | Mail Online

Competent DIY'er eh?

I saw a plumbing & heating van on bbc news, it looked liked it must have been there at time of explosion, because the area was all boarded off! It had a gas safe logo on it too! I won't put the company on here, because that would wrong.

I saw a plumbing & heating van on bbc news, it looked liked it must have been there at time of explosion, because the area was all boarded off! It had a gas safe logo on it too! I won't put the company on here, because that would wrong.
probably totally unrelated miss marple and i would remove your post if you did imagine you were innocently working there and your name got bandied about

Sure you're not mistaking it for the National Grid van that was there?

Looks like a new boilers been fitted from this picture. Vaillant flue.

I don't like the condensate pipe, doesn't look professional.

uploadfromtaptalk1369086750613.jpg

but thats next door though? how do we know its new?sad fact of this is 2 people died and it was totally preventable

If they can't get their hands on the appropriate fittings they'll just turn to gaffer tape and god knows what else.

If they can't get their hands on the appropriate fittings they'll just turn to gaffer tape and god knows what else.

If that were to happen, it would make it obvious to investigators that the last person at the scene was at the very least incompetent and most likely DIY / friend helping friend etc.

Sad that it takes the loss of two lives to prove a point.

If that were to happen, it would make it obvious to investigators that the last person at the scene was at the very least incompetent and most likely DIY / friend helping friend etc.

Sad that it takes the loss of two lives to prove a point.

Also sad it'll be forgotten about by the general public within a week and back to asking the handy man down the road again for most.

This is when gas safe ,hse and the local mp's should be putting pressure on diy stores and merchants for encouraging diy gas works .
This will happen again at some point and thi doesnt even show the 200,000 dodgy ,spilling appliances fitted around the country .
This explosion just doesnt effect the immediate family but also all the nearby neighbours who have had the family homes ruined .
i dont work on my car brakes for obvious reasons so why the hell do people feel the need to do diy gas works just to save few pounds .
If it is diy which it looks like then just to save £300 ended up costing the ultimate !!!

This is when gas safe ,hse and the local mp's should be putting pressure on diy stores and merchants for encouraging diy gas works .
This will happen again at some point and thi doesnt even show the 200,000 dodgy ,spilling appliances fitted around the country .
This explosion just doesnt effect the immediate family but also all the nearby neighbours who have had the family homes ruined .
i dont work on my car brakes for obvious reasons so why the hell do people feel the need to do diy gas works just to save few pounds .
If it is diy which it looks like then just to save £300 ended up costing the ultimate !!!
It's also people's ego's. Having a big ego when it comes to DIY gas work kills.

Anyone think there's a better way to educate people on the dangers of playing with gas? If someone says "Don't get a GSR, I can do that for you it's easy!" and the friend or family member or whoever says "Yeah okay, if it saves me a few quid" - then aren't they as guilty as the DIY'er?

If a gang of people get in a car during a night out and the driver is obviously drunk like them then aren't they aiding and abetting? Is it not the same when failing to check if your "gas engineer" is competent?

explosion apparently happened in the cellar is the latest.
as i have already mentioned, i think the meter is down there in these houses!.

6 other properties are also being pulled down for safety.

On the news only minutes ago it was stated;

"The domestic gas supply to the destroyed property was NOT THE CAUSE OF THE EXPLOSION".

Last edited:
On the news only minutes ago it was stated;

"The domestic gas supply to the destroyed property was NOT THE CAUSE OF THE EXPLOSION".

Seriously? What else sounds like a gas explosion, looks like a gas explosion and destroys a house like a gas explosion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to gas explosion in notts in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Morning all. We moved house a few months back (Notts UK), the CH and DHW and for that matter the oil boiler were a bit of a mystery to someone who has only ever tickled gas combi boilers along previously. The oil boiler has a few issues, and that's why I'm here. See you in the oil boiler forum...
Replies
Views
Hi, Non-professional / knowledgeable person here. I'm a Brit in Romania who volunteers for a charity building an old peoples home for needy old people. Out here competence and integrity is harder to come by in a worker, in fact it's hard to find workers at all where we are in the countryside...
Replies
Views
Hello, We live in an 18 year old town house on three floors and have lived here from new. We changed the downstairs cloakroom and the family bathroom on the middle floor. Since then there has been a terrible smell of sewer gas in the house. This is not localised to the bathroom alone, it...
Replies
Views
D
Recently noticed a gas smell coming from my ideal classic RS50 boiler. Cadent have been out and confirmed a small leak and capped off the gas. The question I have though is that the gas smell only appears when the boiler fires up not when the pilot is burning normally. Gas smell continues as...
Replies
Views
Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as some course want to charge £1500 to pair you up with a qualified engineer. Some courses don’t offer pairing and suggest you find your own engineer to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock