Discuss Galvanic corrosion in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

darren bastin

Gas Engineer
Wondered if anybody could offer some advice. I have to join onto some steel central heating pipes, i was planning to to do this with standard brass threaded fittings and then off I go on copper pipes. It has been pointed out to me that this will cause problems with corrosion in the future. I dont like using plastic if i can avoid it, i assume the corrosion occurs at the fitting and not on the pipe itself ? Are there any alternatives ? What measures could I employ

if the steel does not touch the copper then you should be fine.

I would use a male inch to 22mm soldered fitting to connect directly into a steel inch t. Would the brass fitting not corrode ? Should I use a plastic fitting to seperate the metals?

if the steel does not touch the copper then you should be fine.

the whole problem with corrosion by dissimilar metals is that the corrosion occurs through electrolytic action and the higher up the galvanic scale a metal is the easier it will corrode, hence why brass d bronze etc corrodes where steel is present, and there's no better place for this to be seen than ships propellers rotting in sea water where because of the additional salt the reaction works quicker. Hence ships and some water vessels have sacrificial anodes that corrode getter than the bronze props which are then protected. Same in a heating system where it would be best to have no dissimilar metals but all of one metal, impractical, so keeping impurities (flux) out of the heating water and use of inhibitors will prolong the life of the system, but physics will always win in the end and corrosion will win!

the whole problem with corrosion by dissimilar metals is that the corrosion occurs through electrolytic action and the higher up the galvanic scale a metal is the easier it will corrode, hence why brass d bronze etc corrodes where steel is present, and there's no better place for this to be seen than ships propellers rotting in sea water where because of the additional salt the reaction works quicker. Hence ships and some water vessels have sacrificial anodes that corrode getter than the bronze props which are then protected. Same in a heating system where it would be best to have no dissimilar metals but all of one metal, impractical, so keeping impurities (flux) out of the heating water and use of inhibitors will prolong the life of the system, but physics will always win in the end and corrosion will win!

wiki is very helpful :)

if all parts in a heating system were made of plastics, then there would be no problem

quality brass is better to use than copper as the gap on the "thingy" scale is less, if the system water is clean/fresh then its normally a weak electrolite (spelling?) so you will not have a problem.

think about it, normal heating system is a mix of copper pipes, brass fittings and steel/iron rads and boiler parts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Galvanic corrosion in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am probably being unduly paranoid here but I noticed under our kitchen sink that there is some corrosion evident on a small section of...
Replies
Views
P
Hi there I’m 10 weeks pregnant and found out we have some steel galvanised pipes with corrosion which was causing our tap water to run...
Replies
Views
In December 2022 (i.e. 5 months ago) I had a full system power flush conducted. Now the previously clear UFH flow gauges are black again. Is it...
Replies
Views
    • Winner
Hi all, I joined today and am a newbie at plumbing DIY. Thought I'd share my experience replacing the stopcock under my sink. The old one looked...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock