Discuss fully qualified plumber in two weeks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A genuine Newb error... I meant C&G 2 :eek:

ps I'm a gas fast tracker not water

NVQ is C&G???? C&G are an awarding body not a qualification?
gas fast tracker, so you have gas quals or only your acs? what you dont seem torealise is the acs is for experienced trades people, not newbies or fast trackers, if you and others have found a loop hole dont then blame he course, its you and the people charging you for the short cut who are at fault

'Never stop learning' interesting choice of words Fuzzy.

I clearly have a lot to learn & I realise that.
I thought I was going in the right direction.
You seem very intollerent of my inexperience, what do you suggest ?
Maybe I can get a job as a tea boy for a plumber at the age of 35 with a family & morgage for the next some years.
There is one thing that I have noticed in the short time that I have been retraining & that is that there are a lot of unhelpful plumbing & heating guys out there.
It's not as if I woke up one morning & thought, d'ya know what, I'm going to embark on a very expensive & lengthy process of upsetting every bloke who fixes leaky taps!
Why would I realise the ACS is for experienced trades people? I'm new to the industry !
What are you talking about a 'loop hole' & 'short cuts'?.. how long do you propose it should take to be Gas qualified? so far it's taken me 8 months full time.

'Never stop learning' interesting choice of words Fuzzy.

I clearly have a lot to learn & I realise that.
I thought I was going in the right direction.
You seem very intollerent of my inexperience, what do you suggest ?
Maybe I can get a job as a tea boy for a plumber at the age of 35 with a family & morgage for the next some years.
There is one thing that I have noticed in the short time that I have been retraining & that is that there are a lot of unhelpful plumbing & heating guys out there.
It's not as if I woke up one morning & thought, d'ya know what, I'm going to embark on a very expensive & lengthy process of upsetting every bloke who fixes leaky taps!
Why would I realise the ACS is for experienced trades people? I'm new to the industry !
What are you talking about a 'loop hole' & 'short cuts'?.. how long do you propose it should take to be Gas qualified? so far it's taken me 8 months full time.
im not sure what point your trying to make? you say you are surprised how easy it was to get your acs, then you question how long it should take as if 8 mnths is too long, please make your ming up and make it clear what your issues are and i can help you get on the right course and the right direction.

dont know what point your making with unhlepful plumbers either?

Just to add to my previous thread. Another thing that concerns me, a chap on my course had been a plumber for the best part of 25 years & he nearly failed his gas ACS. I've changed a few sink wastes & flew through my ACS.
I'm now fully qualified to fit an entire heating system in someones house & he very nearly wasn't!

i was following your thread amd wondering how you have you ccn1,i was under the impression you have to have at least a plumbing qualification level2 nvq , and you say your qualified to fit a central heating system, but can you !

No!
That's exactly the point that I'm trying to make.
I paid for a gas ACS (ccn1,cen1,ckr1,htr1,cpa1,EEDH-part L) training course which took me 6 months to complete, it was a full time practical, workshop, theory & classroom course, the course could be theorectically completed in just two months as you only had to complete 25 gas related jobs. Once the exams are passed, which they are, I am now legally allowed to install a full heating system from scratch! To me, that's mental ! As I have no industry experience, gas or water, I am now trying to gain some training related to water (to be able to do it right). Although there is actually no requirement for me to do so. I am agreeing with the time served guys on here that it isn't enough time. The 8 months reference is how long I have been training for as I have been going on other courses & getting work experience (unpaid) elsewhere (my choice). There seems to be a set path into the industry which I appear to be skipping certain parts or doing in the wrong order. This was never an issue for me before as I came in directly into gas from a completely different sector.

dormouse i dont think you are following what i am saying as you seem to be contradicting yourself again, let me try to explain.

The correct route for newbies into the trade is a NVQ2 then a NVQ3 whether this be plumbing, H&V or gas, all related trades. The ACS is NOT I repeat is NOT a trade qualification. It is a 5 year safety qualification designed to check you are working safe and is designed for qualified and experienced trades people.

Some centres use the qualification for vunrable or inexperienced people wanting to get into the trade, which it shouldn't be. There is a route (Cat 3) which allows unqualified to gain the qualification but this is only if the candidate has significant experience, centres can ask for 240 days proven experience on a wide and varied type of gas work (ACS is gas only, not central heating). You wouldnt be expected to know how to fit or service a boiler just because you have done your ACS, that would be a plumbing L3 or gas course for that. ACS is just a competence person scheme like part p, part l unvented and water egs etc and does not prove you can carry out the range of tasks but work safely, presuming you have prior experience in a related trade

So when you say you are surprised that you are allowed to fit central heating because you have your ACS it shouldnt be a surprise. The loop hole i speak of is the short cut of completing a ACS competence person scheme without either experience of prior related qualifications.

i said and i stand by, you cannot blame the qualification but the centre that misled you. You shouldn't have even done the qual without substantial experience, were did you do the course?

well its supposed to be a plumbers job, thats why they teach it on the plumbing course, you need a vrq part p to enable you to certify, no different to learning gas then needing you acs. thats why competence person schemes are excellent for the industry

the problem is people use them as short cuts, often sold as full courses by private money making companies. dont blame the qual or the tradesman, blame the people misusing and miselling them
My point is that as plumbers are we to be electricians, joiners, builders, roofers or whatever else. What's the point in having apprenticeships and learning each trade if we can go on a two week course and become a jack of all trades, master of none. I know a former bank clerk who'd never lifted a hammer in his life and he's out claiming to be able to fit gas appliances after sitting a week long course. Bloody dangerous this! A proper apprenticeship takes time as mine did (4 years) and you actually learn more on the job than sitting in a classroom. Every day's a school day and you never stop learning new things. There's no way anyone should gain trade qualifications in 2 weeks, and even moreso if they've never even done any diy or building work in their life. The industry is getting hit from all sectors and the TV is full of Cowboy Builders programmes. We don't need any more hassle. If someone employs me to fit their bathroom, it's because they think that as a professional I can do a better job than if they attempted to diy. All it takes is for one inexperienced "tradesman" to muck it up and blow their perception of why they employed a "professional" in the first place.
Electrics are for electricians, joinery for joiners etc. or why bother sitting an individual trade apprenticeship in the first place. And just because you have a piece of paper stating that you are qualified to fit electrics, doesn't make you competent to do it!

i have no issue ith them if used with their intended purpose. Its the people who take short cuts and sell inapropiate courses who are to blame and this has caused alot of concern for summitskills. Competence person scheme are here to stay im afraid, better to educate people rather than dismiss them because we are either scared of confused by them.
I am a plumber with my VRQ full scope part P. i dont think im an electrician but i know i can wire up a central heating system better than many sparks i know. I use it for the right reasons on appropiate jobs, thats what its for and in that scenario it works.

Blame the centres misleading people like Dormouse, not the qual itself

right, going to bed now, dont want you to miss my reply dormouse, goodnight all,

dormouse i dont think you are following what i am saying as you seem to be contradicting yourself again, let me try to explain.

The correct route for newbies into the trade is a NVQ2 then a NVQ3 whether this be plumbing, H&V or gas, all related trades. The ACS is NOT I repeat is NOT a trade qualification. It is a 5 year safety qualification designed to check you are working safe and is designed for qualified and experienced trades people.

Some centres use the qualification for vunrable or inexperienced people wanting to get into the trade, which it shouldn't be. There is a route (Cat 3) which allows unqualified to gain the qualification but this is only if the candidate has significant experience, centres can ask for 240 days proven experience on a wide and varied type of gas work (ACS is gas only, not central heating). You wouldnt be expected to know how to fit or service a boiler just because you have done your ACS, that would be a plumbing L3 or gas course for that. ACS is just a competence person scheme like part p, part l unvented and water egs etc and does not prove you can carry out the range of tasks but work safely, presuming you have prior experience in a related trade

So when you say you are surprised that you are allowed to fit central heating because you have your ACS it shouldnt be a surprise. The loop hole i speak of is the short cut of completing a ACS competence person scheme without either experience of prior related qualifications.

i said and i stand by, you cannot blame the qualification but the centre that misled you. You shouldn't have even done the qual without substantial experience, were did you do the course?

right, going to bed now, dont want you to miss my reply dormouse, goodnight all,

surly dormouth can not do any gas job of any significance competently with a clear conscience, but is he to blame,these companys offering people dreams with no regard to the person or the industry,

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fully qualified plumber in two weeks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon, before I start I appreciate I may be on a hiding to nothing here but here goes. I spent time working as a tradesman with my Dad...
Replies
Views
The new proposed points system has been a hot topic over the past weeks. Especially relevant is what seems to be a total stop to allowing...
Replies
Views
S
Hello everyone, In 2010 I was doing a course in plumbing, I think it was a BTEC in Plumbing level 2. It was a 2 year course which I completed and...
Replies
Views
Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I...
Replies
Views
Hi PlumbersForums. I've been having some issues with my central heating system in a 4 year old new build property for over a year now. I have...
Replies
Views
Back