Discuss fully qualified plumber in two weeks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
These courses make a mockery of my 4 years both in college and on the job as a proper apprentice. No wonder many house holders are going down the DIY route as they're sh*t scared who'll come and work in their homes with all the inexperienced and cowboys out there claiming to be experts.

I don't touch electrics as I'm not trained or qualified, or major joinery work or large gas installations, even though I know how and have the skills to do these, yet in two weeks someone can claim to be a trained professional. I've been a plumber since 1982, but how is a house holder to know that over someone who'se been one for two weeks? It should be law that a qaulified trainee should have to do a further probationery period.

so who does the electrica when youve fitted a central heating system? do you want to spend another 4 years as an apprentice to wire it up?

so who does the electrica when youve fitted a central heating system? do you want to spend another 4 years as an apprentice to wire it up?
A fully qualified electrician does that for me and he gives me a safety certificate when he's finished. I add his fee on to the bill and when I explain to the customer that he/she is getting electrics done by a fully qualified electrician and it will be guaranteed safe complete with a certificate and guarantee, they always agree.

A fully qualified electrician does that for me and he gives me a safety certificate when he's finished. I add his fee on to the bill and when I explain to the customer that he/she is getting electrics done by a fully qualified electrician and it will be guaranteed safe complete with a certificate and guarantee, they always agree.

well its supposed to be a plumbers job, thats why they teach it on the plumbing course, you need a vrq part p to enable you to certify, no different to learning gas then needing you acs. thats why competence person schemes are excellent for the industry

the problem is people use them as short cuts, often sold as full courses by private money making companies. dont blame the qual or the tradesman, blame the people misusing and miselling them

well its supposed to be a plumbers job, thats why they teach it on the plumbing course, you need a vrq part p to enable you to certify, no different to learning gas then needing you acs. thats why competence person schemes are excellent for the industry

the problem is people use them as short cuts, often sold as full courses by private money making companies. dont blame the qual or the tradesman, blame the people misusing and miselling them

These courses make a mockery of my 4 years both in college and on the job as a proper apprentice. No wonder many house holders are going down the DIY route as they're sh*t scared who'll come and work in their homes with all the inexperienced and cowboys out there claiming to be experts.

I don't touch electrics as I'm not trained or qualified, or major joinery work or large gas installations, even though I know how and have the skills to do these, yet in two weeks someone can claim to be a trained professional. I've been a plumber since 1982, but how is a house holder to know that over someone who'se been one for two weeks? It should be law that a qaulified trainee should have to do a further probationery period.

well said you have my vote

As a fast tracker I completely agree, I was & still am very surprised at how little studying was involved to become Gas Safe registered. I've been re-training full time for the best part of a year & I don't feel as though I have enough knowledge which is why I'm starting a Level 2 NVQ. As for probation, Gas Safe have all new subscribers on a 3 month probation & request evidence of work, although saying that the evidence can be landlords certs :confused: where's the evidence of safe gas work there ? yes... cooker works.... yes.... boiler works.... no soot, smells or dodgy flame... heres your certificate... £90 please !

Just to add to my previous thread. Another thing that concerns me, a chap on my course had been a plumber for the best part of 25 years & he nearly failed his gas ACS. I've changed a few sink wastes & flew through my ACS.
I'm now fully qualified to fit an entire heating system in someones house & he very nearly wasn't!

As a fast tracker I completely agree, I was & still am very surprised at how little studying was involved to become Gas Safe registered. I've been re-training full time for the best part of a year & I don't feel as though I have enough knowledge which is why I'm starting a Level 2 NVQ. As for probation, Gas Safe have all new subscribers on a 3 month probation & request evidence of work, although saying that the evidence can be landlords certs :confused: where's the evidence of safe gas work there ? yes... cooker works.... yes.... boiler works.... no soot, smells or dodgy flame... heres your certificate... £90 please !

you took the short cut if your doing your nvq after the acs! its not desinged for newbies, if you bluffed your way onto the course it is you at fault not the course

you took the short cut if your doing your nvq after the acs! its not desinged for newbies, if you bluffed your way onto the course it is you at fault not the course

A genuine Newb error... I meant C&G 2 :eek:

ps I'm a gas fast tracker not water

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to fully qualified plumber in two weeks. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Good afternoon, before I start I appreciate I may be on a hiding to nothing here but here goes. I spent time working as a tradesman with my Dad...
Replies
Views
The new proposed points system has been a hot topic over the past weeks. Especially relevant is what seems to be a total stop to allowing...
Replies
Views
S
Hello everyone, In 2010 I was doing a course in plumbing, I think it was a BTEC in Plumbing level 2. It was a 2 year course which I completed and...
Replies
Views
Hi, some professional advice would be greatly appreciated, We are having an Unvented Cylinder installed into our 2 bedroom ground floor flat. I...
Replies
Views
Hi PlumbersForums. I've been having some issues with my central heating system in a 4 year old new build property for over a year now. I have...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock