Discuss Foreigners? I mean jobs. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all. How did you guys initially start getting foreigners on the side of your normal 9-5????

I think if the employees are getting enough side work to worry the boss, then the boss isn't doing his job very well.

In the example you give the guy is just stealing, it crosses that blurred line between what's morally acceptable and not. He's stealing stock from his employer and selling it. I would be calling the police for something like that tbh. The customer is buying stolen goods too but even though they probably know that nothing will be done about it I'm sure!

I would say 9/10 people doing foreigners use their bosses stock. It is so easy to do though. I installed a full central heating system in a house I lived in and all the fittings, rad valves, clips, gas, solder etc was provided by the company I worked for. (I didn't even pay for the radiators but that was not through the company)

That to me is why anybody doing a foreigner would be gone in a shot.

I understand that there are people out there that are setting up for themselves who do work evenings and weekends and have all the costs but most of them still take stock off the bosses.

The old boy that taught me used to do a boiler every weekend (this was before you had to register them) and he used to build his stock up during the week then use it at the weekend. The boss found out because as mike said a customer took the number off the side of the van and couldn't get hold of him so phoned the company. That then made the boss stop all the lads using the vans outside of work and he got a warning (he was never going to get rid of him as he was the only gas installer they had)

I think if the employees are getting enough side work to worry the boss, then the boss isn't doing his job very well.

Or the boss can't compete with people who are stealing materials, he also would have to make more money to replace stolen stock.

I would say 9/10 people doing foreigners use their bosses stock. It is so easy to do though. I installed a full central heating system in a house I lived in and all the fittings, rad valves, clips, gas, solder etc was provided by the company I worked for. (I didn't even pay for the radiators but that was not through the company)

I understand that there are people out there that are setting up for themselves who do work evenings and weekends and have all the costs but most of them still take stock off the bosses.

The old boy that taught me used to do a boiler every weekend (this was before you had to register them) and he used to build his stock up during the week then use it at the weekend. The boss found out because as mike said a customer took the number off the side of the van and couldn't get hold of him so phoned the company. That then made the boss stop all the lads using the vans outside of work and he got a warning (he was never going to get rid of him as he was the only gas installer they had)

That's the most double standard message I've ever seen

That's the most double standard message I've ever seen

Yeah I know lol.

Just saying that even if you do 1 foreigner how much you use and how the boss didn't know that I installed a heating system at his expense. I tried to get the HA to fit us radiators in every room as when we moved in there was a boiler and 2 rads in hallway and bathroom, this would of been passed to my company as they had the contract but they refused to do it. So I did try to do it right. Lol.

I very rarely did foreigners only for close family and friends and most of the times it was under an hour or 2 work like servicing and breakdowns so had to buy bits.

When i worked for bg doing work outside the business was gross misconduct, instant dismissal if found out.

The MD, chaiman and board members all sat as non execs on other boards earning more dollar for their already bulging bank accounts.

Now that is double standards.

Exactly why I'm getting a stock control systems set up for our business. If someone nicks stock I will soon know!

I would of thought impossible for fittings though as you can't really know 100% what fittings you need for each job. The larger things then yes easy enough.

As long as people don't take the mick it's quite hard to spot, if like a lad I used to work with you book a bundle of 15mm for every job then you can tell straight away, I heard rumours the boss called him in and said if you haven't got 5 bundles of 15mm on the van make sure you bring a lot of cash with you.

Simple stock tracking is easy to do. We have bins in the van for every item we stock. We barcode each bin and the lads scan everything they take in and out of the van. Sounds like a nightmare but it's very simple to do, they just do it on their mobile phone. When we count the stock any errors suggest it's been nicked!

Last edited:
Even though i'm working for someone on a self employed basis, it's long term, the boss has said i have a job as long as i want. He provides the van (i crash it :p ) and fuel, I have just started having to pay my own insurance as are the other 3 guys. It's fair enough.

I don't earn a great deal but boss is fairly laid back 95% of the time and rarely hassles us to get jobs finished. It's not always the most organised and don't always get told the right information for jobs so there's only so much pressure he can expect us to take. Also i'm still gaining experience.

He has said to me that he is ok with us doing our own jobs. I have used their fittings but then I have also had a few lengths of pipe on the van i paid for and ended up using on their jobs. When I have to pay and display i never put the tickets in to get my money back. It's pretty much evens for me. I have passed the company details on for jobs too.

I stay late to get jobs finished or do extra after my hours on a regular basis where as the other guys are getting itchy feet at 4 pm and at 31 minutes past are sweating and getting annoyed.

I would say my loyalty is pretty good. I would like to be busy enough on my own one day to go full time and if that day ever comes I would give 4 weeks notice even though I don't have to. I could get a text tonight saying no more work and that would be it.

Last edited:
Simple stock tracking is easy to do. We have bins in the van for every item we stock. We barcode each bin and the lads scan everything they take in and out of the van. Sounds like a nightmare but it's very simple to do, they just do it on their mobile phone. When we count the stock any errors suggest it's been nicked!
Be careful kieran whilst i think it is an excellent way of keeping control of stock. You also need to take into account user error. And stuff being put back that isn't re entered back onto the system and stuff that is knackered that may be thrown away without them remembering you need to made aware of it.

Yes definitely. I would certainly err on the side of caution before accusing someone of stealing! The odd item going missing is one thing but lots of items would be another!

Just hypothetically say I work for you, I'm on a job and I book out 10 15mm elbows viva barcode but then I get my pipe bender out and machine bend 6 of the elbows but put the fittings in my pocket, how do you know, if you see what I mean

I dont but it gets charged to the job. At this stage I have a good idea what fittings will be used as I see each job. As the business grows it will be harder to keep an eye on it. No system is perfect but it will make it a lot harder for employees to nick from me.

I dont but it gets charged to the job. At this stage I have a good idea what fittings will be used as I see each job. As the business grows it will be harder to keep an eye on it. No system is perfect but it will make it a lot harder for employees to nick from me.
I'm not saying the idea isn't great or wont work, I think its a brilliant idea
But employee imput will be the only downfall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Foreigners? I mean jobs. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back