Discuss Foreigners? I mean jobs. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

macka09

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hi all. How did you guys initially start getting foreigners on the side of your normal 9-5????

Thats very open minded of you Keiran. If one of my staff set up in competition with me, weekend or not, that would be the end of that.

In fact, exactly that has just happened. Its a "breach of trust and confidence" and a clear conflict of interest, and the end of someone's career with us.
when my dad worked for BT(he was with them for 20 years)if they caught you installing phonelines out side of working for them,it was deemed a instant,sack able offence,they deemed that they trained you,you then take the urine by being in competition with them,so cant blame you Ray

I'd like to clarify I don't do private jobs. Infact I never work weekends. I'm knackered by Friday and can't be arsed with the grief of dealing with the general public.

290 quid tax
87 quid national insurance.

there are some pro's to it tho. There has to be!

Paid holidays. Relax when you finish work and not sit and do pricing etc. not have to chase money. There are quite a few pros and self employed lads who earn the same as you will pay the same tax and ni.

I though much prefer self employment.

Paid holidays. Relax when you finish work and not sit and do pricing etc. not have to chase money. There are quite a few pros and self employed lads who earn the same as you will pay the same tax and ni.

I though much prefer self employment.

yep, no gas safe fees, no acs costs, no van or van insurance, no fuel costs, paid holidays, sick pay, pension, power tools supplied, ppe supplied, no evenings spent pricing up jobs for time wasters, paid every Friday without fail. I'm happy with employment really.
Only thing I miss is my old transit van.

The problem with people doing foreigners on the cheap is it devalues the entire trade. I lost out on a full heating install not long after I started back self employed. I quoted a reasonable price but the guy the got the job quoted my materials cost and did the work over a couple of weekends. I realise it's possible that he could have really good terms but the chances are he was doing a foreigner and getting most, if not all, of his materials off the back of his van that he uses for his 9-5.

When I worked for eagaheat anyone caught doing a foreigner was supposed to be goonered. The best one was when the office received a call that the boiler that had been fitted over the weekend had stopped working. The customer had taken the number off the side of the van the lad fitting the boiler was driving. Shame the guy was not doing it through the company.

I have no problem with people doing work in their own time as long as they have PLI, Gas safe etc. and use their own transport. That's no different to me working a few extra hours then and fair competition.

In the example you give the guy is just stealing, it crosses that blurred line between what's morally acceptable and not. He's stealing stock from his employer and selling it. I would be calling the police for something like that tbh. The customer is buying stolen goods too but even though they probably know that nothing will be done about it I'm sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Foreigners? I mean jobs. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock