Discuss Flush central heating when adding a rad? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

jaydh

Hi

I have had a quote from a plumber to add a couple of radiators to a conservatory and in the quote, he said he needs to flush the central heating system. The system was installed about 6 years ago and probably hasnt been flushed in this time.

Does the system need to be flushed when adding new rads?

Thanks

Jamie

Technically yes, Jamie! New pipework will have within it some residue or other and if they're soldering fittings then they'll need to flush out the flux used in the process! IMO

in the real world i doubt that it happens very often just for adding a couple of rads! if the system is sealed (combi) as corrosion will be minimal and draining the system will usually suffice......

:iagree: in the real world there would be few who would add the price of flushing, especially with a powerflush machine as I doubt they'd get many takers ... lol

On his quote, he wrote 'drain down heating system'. It is a combi boiler I have.

On his quote, he wrote 'drain down heating system'. It is a combi boiler I have.

Draining down is a bit different to flushing Jamie ... sometimes we add stuff like drain and refill, add new inhibitor fit thermostatic rad valves ...etc ... Those sort of things give you a better idea of what you're paying for rather than just quoting "fit a couple of radiators!" Then you thinking "HOW MUCH???" :)

if all your rads are working fine with no cold spots etc, a drain down will suffice. it is not a flush per se just emptying the system so water don't pee everywhere when he cuts into pipework to add your rads. this is necessary!

if he has itemised a 'flush' then this isn't necessary as long as your rads work

Sorry for the confusion! Does it mean just draining it of water so he can work on it?

Thanks for clearing it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flush central heating when adding a rad? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi I have recently bought a house which is 17 years old. There was a small leak from one of the radiators So I took the pipe off and drained the...
Replies
Views
My Mother-in-law was quoted £1,000 by British Gas to do a power flush on her system as her rads aren't performing well. I was wondering, as 4...
Replies
Views
I would like to add an additional radiator to our central heating system. We have an attached double garage converted to a man-cave and workshop...
Replies
Views
  • Question
My daughter's place has a small water leak on a ground floor radiator valve. The radiator pipework is small diameter.i.e 8 or 10 mm. A plumber...
Replies
Views
Hi, I have 3 port value for HW & CH. Loft extension added many years ago so they added a T to go upstairs, only 2 rads up but 11 downstairs...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock