Search the forum,

Discuss flue gas analysis in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

migoplumber

sorry about the wait for my epic story, didnt realise you get timed out in the writing something section. wrote this earlier so hopefully copy and paste.

Be nice and gentle with me boys, this is how i do it, and how i interprete my results.
ime a commercial guy, and things are a little different but have the same end result.
first thing you must do is know what to expect in your flue gas analysis. the only way to do this is consult the manufacturers instructions.
if you dont know the exact type of boiler you are playing with, then you may as well stay at home and thumb twiddle.
one really annoying thing with the fga is boiler hitting temp and cutting out, be aware of this. try to turn off boiler/s for an hour before you get started.
perfect time for visual checks and basic servicing.
if you know the boiler, and are pretty sure its not been touched by anyone else life is simpler,
if not first thing to do is gas rate appliance, and watch it work for a while. most of my boilers are looked after by me so i have a fairly easy life.
turn on boiler and high fire for 10 mins to get flue temp up.
locate your analyser point and stick probe in hole.
some manufacturers specify the depth of probe insertion - most do not.
first thing i watch for is the co reading. if its rising rapidly at a rate that i know is gonna go high i take probe out and check gas rates and burner pressure/fan assembly (with zero governors)
hate getting more than 2 cells a year for analyser !
remember co levels over 200 ppm the instalation is ID and should be capped. always cap before informing client is my attitude - but technically not correct, you are a proffesional, you should be able
to locate problem before it comes to this.
next ime looking for the specified co2/o2 levels always found in the MI.
most manufacturers i know specify the co2 levels, for me typically around 9%, the broagg manufacturers for example specify o2 to typically 5.4%
now i make small adjustments on the gas valve generally, to obtain this target figure.
a quarter turn is the most i do at one time and wait for 30 seconds for flue to stabilise before i look at readings. NB you will always turn the adjustment screw in the wrong direction first time
thats life.
after a few adjustments your co2/o2 levels will be as per manufacturers instructions. if you are unable to obtain these numbers, proceed to a full strip down service continuing.
next i look at flue temperature, if the reading is above what i am expecting, i would like at flue issues, primarily lack of flow, i always start with termination and work my way backwards.
depending on system could be an issue with the fan, and sometime but not often ventilation.
the last number that i use is the ratio. this is the money earner number ! the cpa1 course shows these numbers and what to do with them, but as a general rule of thumb ( which dosnt exist in gas )
always consult the MI numbers. less than 0.004 means you have a heat exchanger issue. this will require strip down clean, possibly acid bath. a real in depth service. if the number is close to that
then advise the customer because they may wish to wait till next year ( or get somebody else in who hopefully wont notice is what they mean ) but generally ime advised to do what is neccessary at the time.
thats how i interprete the figures that i get in most circumstances. the manufacturer is god and talking to them if you are unsure is vital.
another co note, i carry a portable co detector in plant rooms, better safe than sorry - nearly got me once and i learned my lesson.
most importantly, i do not consider sticking the fga in the hole a "service" or an "inspection" it just does not cut it. always at bare minimum take boiler casing off and visually inspect the thing
running the fga around the casing in room safety mode is a good detector for combustion leaks.
some boilers have a low/high fire system. some have a modulation system from 10% to 100% sometimes the co2/o2 requirements are different for high low fire. if you dont get them spot on for a
modulating boiler all the values from 0 to 90 % will be wrong and you are potentially killing your customer.
also the ignition or low fire co2 values are important for the correct start up of system combustion. incorrect co2 levels at start up can cause sooting of thermocouple/ionisation probes, leading to
unrecognised flame failure signals and lock out. which leads to call outs to non starting boilers. ( hate those ) , they can also cause poor flame with same results or worse explosive ignition
sounds horrible and scares customer !
there is nothing like being sat down in front of your boiler for 30 minutes before you start, watching the flame and listening to the boiler, this will tell you as much about the state of the thing
as the fga results.
good luck.
did a nice one today on a lovely wessex 250 stack, recorded it cos i could ! will post link youtube video as soon as i upload it !
shaun. x

Hey shaun :) ...... just a correction needed matey ... "....less than 0.004 means you have a heat exchanger issue..." I believe you meant "more than" yeh?

Good post otherwise :)

Hey shaun :) ...... just a correction needed matey ... "....less than 0.004 means you have a heat exchanger issue..." I believe you meant "more than" yeh?

Good post otherwise :)
Just to add to this. More than 0.004 can be due to burner, flue or fan issues as well as directly linked to the H/E. Basically anything combustion related may result in elevated ratio.
Good post!

sorry about the wait for my epic story, didnt realise you get timed out in the writing something section. wrote this earlier so hopefully copy and paste.

Be nice and gentle with me boys, this is how i do it, and how i interprete my results.
ime a commercial guy, and things are a little different but have the same end result.
first thing you must do is know what to expect in your flue gas analysis. the only way to do this is consult the manufacturers instructions.
if you dont know the exact type of boiler you are playing with, then you may as well stay at home and thumb twiddle.
one really annoying thing with the fga is boiler hitting temp and cutting out, be aware of this. try to turn off boiler/s for an hour before you get started.
perfect time for visual checks and basic servicing.
if you know the boiler, and are pretty sure its not been touched by anyone else life is simpler,
if not first thing to do is gas rate appliance, and watch it work for a while. most of my boilers are looked after by me so i have a fairly easy life.
turn on boiler and high fire for 10 mins to get flue temp up.
locate your analyser point and stick probe in hole.
some manufacturers specify the depth of probe insertion - most do not.
first thing i watch for is the co reading. if its rising rapidly at a rate that i know is gonna go high i take probe out and check gas rates and burner pressure/fan assembly (with zero governors)
hate getting more than 2 cells a year for analyser !
remember co levels over 200 ppm the instalation is ID and should be capped. always cap before informing client is my attitude - but technically not correct, you are a proffesional, you should be able
to locate problem before it comes to this.
next ime looking for the specified co2/o2 levels always found in the MI.
most manufacturers i know specify the co2 levels, for me typically around 9%, the broagg manufacturers for example specify o2 to typically 5.4%
now i make small adjustments on the gas valve generally, to obtain this target figure.
a quarter turn is the most i do at one time and wait for 30 seconds for flue to stabilise before i look at readings. NB you will always turn the adjustment screw in the wrong direction first time
thats life.
after a few adjustments your co2/o2 levels will be as per manufacturers instructions. if you are unable to obtain these numbers, proceed to a full strip down service continuing.
next i look at flue temperature, if the reading is above what i am expecting, i would like at flue issues, primarily lack of flow, i always start with termination and work my way backwards.
depending on system could be an issue with the fan, and sometime but not often ventilation.
the last number that i use is the ratio. this is the money earner number ! the cpa1 course shows these numbers and what to do with them, but as a general rule of thumb ( which dosnt exist in gas )
always consult the MI numbers. less than 0.004 means you have a heat exchanger issue. this will require strip down clean, possibly acid bath. a real in depth service. if the number is close to that
then advise the customer because they may wish to wait till next year ( or get somebody else in who hopefully wont notice is what they mean ) but generally ime advised to do what is neccessary at the time.
thats how i interprete the figures that i get in most circumstances. the manufacturer is god and talking to them if you are unsure is vital.
another co note, i carry a portable co detector in plant rooms, better safe than sorry - nearly got me once and i learned my lesson.
most importantly, i do not consider sticking the fga in the hole a "service" or an "inspection" it just does not cut it. always at bare minimum take boiler casing off and visually inspect the thing
running the fga around the casing in room safety mode is a good detector for combustion leaks.
some boilers have a low/high fire system. some have a modulation system from 10% to 100% sometimes the co2/o2 requirements are different for high low fire. if you dont get them spot on for a
modulating boiler all the values from 0 to 90 % will be wrong and you are potentially killing your customer.
also the ignition or low fire co2 values are important for the correct start up of system combustion. incorrect co2 levels at start up can cause sooting of thermocouple/ionisation probes, leading to
unrecognised flame failure signals and lock out. which leads to call outs to non starting boilers. ( hate those ) , they can also cause poor flame with same results or worse explosive ignition
sounds horrible and scares customer !
there is nothing like being sat down in front of your boiler for 30 minutes before you start, watching the flame and listening to the boiler, this will tell you as much about the state of the thing
as the fga results.
good luck.
did a nice one today on a lovely wessex 250 stack, recorded it cos i could ! will post link youtube video as soon as i upload it !
shaun. x
sound mate but i'm at a loss on why you felt the need .this is basic flue gas anal stuff

You have drew my attention to something I was not aware of. The ID boiler over 200ppm

Just been through the unsafe situations book and there is no mention of this at all. Was the on a technical bulletin that I missed?

will find it and post tommorow. its just an important number i remember.
thank you for corrections.
it was just to start a conversation (from a previous imbecilic thread)
anybody want to watch me play
migoplumber fga - YouTube

feel free to add your interpretaions of fga results, and what they mean !

shaun. x

Head burned out looking for this off to bed! Checked unsafe procedure book and both corgi publications on the subject none mention it!

That video shows a commercial boiler. Does the 200 rule apply to domestic?

Right just spoke to gas safe about this. They have never heard this rule and stated its ratio only.

Glad I'm not the only one talks to my boilers! I have to be in the right mood for Hamworthy boilers!

200ppm was an action level so to speak, im unsure if it has any official standing now? or ever did regs/bs wise? but as mentioned alot of manufactures use this figure in MI.

okay, poo - hat off too everybody and bowing. cant find the reg that says 200 ppm is ID, give me 24 hours to dig deeper into my memory to where that came from.
best i can do today is point towards gas safe edition six, 10.6.
remember MI beats gas regs.
failure to achieve satisfactory combustion readings.
villa tom hits nail on head,
all though today found out potterton EC two 160 only allow 50ppm CO which was a shock, and they would only class it as AR
annoyed cos i think ime rigt on that number then potterton says ime not its lower, will chase tommorow with more time.
on the plus side i do look beautifull on my video .
shaun. x

okay, poo - hat off too everybody and bowing. cant find the reg that says 200 ppm is ID, give me 24 hours to dig deeper into my memory to where that came from.
best i can do today is point towards gas safe edition six, 10.6.
remember MI beats gas regs.
failure to achieve satisfactory combustion readings.
villa tom hits nail on head,
all though today found out potterton EC two 160 only allow 50ppm CO which was a shock, and they would only class it as AR
annoyed cos i think ime rigt on that number then potterton says ime not its lower, will chase tommorow with more time.
on the plus side i do look beautifull on my video .
shaun. x

You owe me several pairs of boxer shorts! ;-)

When I did my OFTEC 200ppm CO was mentioned as being the limit too.

ok now its official. migo is dumb. there is no gas safety reg that states the permitted ammount of co that is allowed in the flue.
so long as the combustion anaylsis complies with MI there is no limit.
i would like to grovel to zebedee and plead forgiveness, ime sorry you poo'd pants
some boilers like the pott mentioned aboved allow 50 ppm, others such as the remeha gas eco 210 (broagg(my favorite boiler)) allow unlimited co
which seems very strange.
as far as i have been able to find out today there is no difference between commercial and domestic, other than what the client requires from you.
so once again apologies, Manufacturers Instructions are the key as usual. always consult them.

if it's of any consequence my anton beeps at 200ppm co telling me to leave the building.

this humble post brings to me a great thought, i consider myself to be a truly fantastic, big headed engineer who knows most stuff, and if i dont know it - i can find it. one of the traits of being a good engineer is the ability to cover up or hide your mistakes. just realised its pretty hard to cover up a mistake when it is written in black and white 20 odd posts upwards. wish i still had my edit button !

to zebedee if it wasnt for people like you, my head would explode after it became so big. thank you. x

shaun. x

no. leave it, give it a couple of weeks, when everybody has had there say and we have a good correct thought on the fga line, maybe we could edit the post with everybody contributions/additions !
hopefully that way you should end up with a factual, fga thread that helps all !
but thank you.

private convo. please delete zebedee for bringing me down to earth for week !

x

We all make mistakes from time to time, god knows I've made a fair few!

OFTEC figure I was given is not to allow C0 go above 90, preferred C0 figure to aim for is below 50 on condensing boilers.

thanks pete, dont suppose you a regulation number for that quote ? cheers
shaun

As far as I know they are using BS 7967 I don't see the actual figure of 90 ppm in the OFTEC manual I remember from the OFTEC course.

Just to add something to this.
A maximum 200ppm CO is a limit BG work by.
Worcester also state this limit for their boilers.

And Veissmann quote 100ppm, Lochinvar quote 100ppm.......

MI's are king!

Hahaha i remember something about 200ppm but cant think where from, dont beat yourself up. im on the case and i'll try to find where i read or heard it from..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to flue gas analysis in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all. Hope you have all been keeping well. A while back I decided I only wanted to fit one brand of boiler and decided on Viessmann due to space for servicing and changing parts if ever needing to. I am finding my decision rather hard due to the different clearances on flue runs and cupboards...
Replies
Views
  • Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock