Search the forum,

Discuss Flue cores in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

stratplus

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
What size cores do you use for the boiler flues, 117 or 127mm?

I dont use foam, bit of loft lagging etc then sand and cement/plaster

Isn't expanding foam frowned upon now, from reading another post yesterday??

I have allways used fire foam when working with others so use it now im on my own I remember about a year ago a gas safe inspector came onto our job as my mate was foaming the flue he didn't say anything about it whats so ever, the inspector even watched him foam It while waiting to talk to him

I have always used fire foam it goes in a standard foam gun though http://www.NoLinkingToThis/p/no-nonsense-fire-rated-expanding-foam-gun-grade-750ml/90589

Last edited by a moderator:
Using fire foam is ok, but you need to know it's fire foam and that's where the issue comes. If woody fits his foam and then I service it next year I don't know that it's fire foam. Apparantly a very few foams give off harmful fumes when they are heated.

fire foam in pink in colour surely that's done for identification ? that's my thinking anyway

fire foam in pink in colour surely that's done for identification ? that's my thinking anyway

Very true woody, the powers change or apply these updates don't really apply much logic to them sometimes. It's not like a condensing flue gets hot these days is it!

I allways sand and cement them in after the foam its the easier way to pack them out so the mortar doesn't just crumble away for having nothing to rest against inmy opinion

In the old day woody them Victorians would have packed there flue holes out with newspaper or horse hair/poo, non of that foam rubbish, then made good with a lime mortar

Yeh back when I were a lad we stuffed in the old template and bits of kitchen roll

I was with a mate last year who was having his inspection by GS, he took them to a job we'd done on a Vaillant install. Sand n cement, inside and outside both covers fitted.

GS bloke pointed out that we hadn't put the three screws in the internal white flue cover, I said it's been stuck back with a bit of silicone to keep it in place, he said ''If there are screw holes in the cover, then screws must be inserted and screwed into the wall' I was a bit gobsmacked tbh considering some of the sh1te I drive past every week.

Edited to add : I always core 5" btw.

Last edited:
Well your supposed to I never have but
Might start belt and braces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Flue cores in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi. I need a new toilet supply line but don’t know the size type of the fitting at the shut off valve. It is not 3/8 compression. It is a plastic nut about the same size as the one going into the cistern but has a different thread. Attached is a photo. Can you advise. Thanks.
Replies
Views
Recently had a Viessmann Vitodens combi boiler installed, quite often when the adjacent cold mixer tap is opened the boiler starts for a few seconds! Can anyone tell me what is causing this? And how to cure?
Replies
Views
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer warming up. The heat exchanger has been changed 6 months ago, so I do not believe it is that. Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? Thanks
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock