Search the forum,

Discuss Fixing towel rails on plasterboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI
I have a client who wants a large towel (approx 500mm X 850mm) rail fitted onto a plasterboard stud wall. I am only concerned about the weight. I have used Gripit fixings before and they seem ok but can anyone recommend anything even more secure.

I guess I could batten it but has anyone come across anything really good without battening it?

thanks

Paul

Old fashioned toggle fixings should do the job, better if it could be battened
It's not an overly large one though..................as my missus keeps telling me

We never run the risk with towel rails and always batton.

Rads are sometimes ok as they have the bracket to spread the load, where as rails don't. That said, we have never actually not battoned a rail to prove our point/be proved wrong.

We never run the risk with towel rails and always batton.

Rads are sometimes ok as they have the bracket to spread the load, where as rails don't. That said, we have never actually not battoned a rail to prove our point/be proved wrong.

How do you batten a towel rail out of interest without messing up the walls?

500mm x 850mm towel rail is a very small rail surely? If the plasterboard is being tiled over it will add greatly to the 'sandwich' strength.
Check first for any stud work that might just be in right area for a fixing bracket.
The brolly anchors in link above are fairly decent and good enough for medium duty jobs.
You can get fixings that have a solid bar that do heavy duty.

Make sure you use the setting tool with the fixings from Ray, - we use those for rads on plasterboard too (remember our rads are 3 x bigger than the ones you guys fit )

We use toggles all the time when the chippys don't first fix some wood in there. Gotta be big ones though or they'll fail too quickly. Always better to screw to wood or block though.

You can easily fix toggles/brollys without a gun. Use your impact driver whilst pressing the bracket against it. Just wind the screw in a bit by hand first because if you cross thread it you'll spin a nice big hole through the board.

How do you batten a towel rail out of interest without messing up the walls?

Thinking about we have never had to install a towel rail on plaster board where either the wall Is not being tiled/refurbed or we can't access the stud work from the other side of the wall, we have been lucky. I think my boss does a good job of convincing the customer to batten when at quoting stage.

If you have to fix a brolly toggle without a gun, use a dot of oil or silicone grease behind the screw head, as the friction is at that point while the toggle compresses & pulls the toggle together.

just pay a fiver for the gun and do it right first time

Much as I would love to sell more guns, I must confess that I have never used one myself.

<hangs head in shame>

The fixings work a treat though, for medium duty stuff. Anything heavier than about 10 kgs per fixing point, you need to batten it.

the item weight is not my concern with towel rails, its the user factor of pulling towels off etc........

battern if at all possible if not try and hit a studd (not me :) ) if possible and spring toggles which are alot stronger than umbrellas.

Yep its the user factor i inform them its a towel rail not a child's ladder etc etc, just fit them with brown plugs and a dot of sticks like on each fixing .

Works a treat

Toggle bolts are the best thing to use. Used them hundreds of times in the past and always hold up.

Anchor/toggle fixings are rated to around 20kg each for the larger ones. You will be struggling to find a towel rail which weighs 80kg when full.

None of the other stud wall fixings hold as much weight per fixing so why compromise?

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. I am not tiling behind, so I think the best way is to batten it, especially as the client has two small children you might try and climb the ladder rail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fixing towel rails on plasterboard in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi they used to say as a last resort you could discharge the D2 pipework at high level and turn it back to the wall. Similar to a combi boiler. I have just looked back through the regs this seems to have changed and it isn't mentioned now. It now mentions if at high level it should be discharged...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16 mm copper water pipe. I exposed the pipe by removing a ~30cm section of the plastic sleeve and a ~10 cm section of the pipe around the hole. Several...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock