Discuss First Gas Safe Inspection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Hi Guys,

Hoping some of you can help me out slightly as I’m bricking it at the minute. I am going to register for my own Gas safety registration soon and am really worried about the inspection.
I have always been under an employers registration and have never actually have a inspection of my own.
I don’t really know what to expect and am worried as I don’t actually have any jobs of my own to take them to so not even sure how I could be inspected as such?

Any pointers would be
They are there to help not hinder. You can save up as many questions for them as they have for you. They will only ask you questions that you really will (should) know the answers to. In any event the worse that will happen is they will say we will come and see you in 3-6 months. Then you need to sharpen up a bit. The fact that your experienced and care enough to worry and come on here and pick brains says you will pass with flying colours.

Don’t be nervous, you know/can find the answer to any questions presented. Don’t guess, admit you need to look at regs/viper book to clarify, I still look frequently, you can’t be expected to learn and retain it all. I have a lot saved in iBooks - technical bullitains, unsafe situations etc so they are at my fingertips. You can be knowledgeable but not compitant, compitance comes with with time and diligence.

If it helps.... on my initial meet I was asked a lot about pipe sizing and gas pressure. He looked over my boiler which I fit and asked some basic ‘what if’ questions - all of which were easily answerable.

In my opinion they are basically checking that you are a genuine applicant and not some thicko goon, you’ve passed ACS and demonstrated competence, the rest is just fomality.

Remember he’s not there to catch you out, he ‘SHOULD’ be there to help you along the road to being independently Gas Safe and furthering your career!

Get some decent biscuits in, make him a good brew, be a nice and strike up a repor.

Job done.

Don’t be nervous, you know/can find the answer to any questions presented. Don’t guess, admit you need look at regs/viper book to clarify, I still look frequently, you can’t be expected to learn and retain it all. I have a lot saved in iBooks - technical bullitains, unsafe situations etc so they are at my fingertips. You can be knowledgeable but not compitant, compitance comes with with time and diligence.

If it helps.... on my initial meet I was asked a lot about pipe sizing and gas pressure. He looked over my boiler which I fit and asked some basic ‘what if’ questions - all of which were easily answerable.

In my opinion they are basically checking that you are a genuine applicant and not some thicko goon, you’ve passed ACS and demonstrated competence, the rest is just fomality.

Get some good biscuits in, be a nice genuine bloke and strike up a repor.

Job done.

I bought the company I had worked for several years. Kept the name of the company then decided to change the name. Turns out even though I was the responsible person, I didn't own the registration. I had to register a new company. Six weeks later I had my inspection. I was concerned as you seem to be. But to be honest if you keep good records and answer all the correct questions and have the correct materials if you need to check, you will be ok. If your standard is good no problems. Make sure your equipment is calibrated and upto date. Warning, do not use labels etc. It was like being back at college. Remember to tell the customer they might smell gas while your checking the meter. :).

Nothing to worry about, just be confident. Tightness test, boiler service (although not thorough, just inlet pressure, burner pressure and gas rate). A few questions about meter and flue. You will be asked a couple of questions on all the categories on your card that you’ve passed but it’s open book so if you’re not sure you can look it up. Good luck.

Nothing to worry about, just be confident. Tightness test, boiler service (although not thorough, just inlet pressure, burner pressure and gas rate). A few questions about meter and flue. You will be asked a couple of questions on all the categories on your card that you’ve passed but it’s open book so if you’re not sure you can look it up. Good luck.

That’s actually reminded me of another question related to this. I’ve got an LPG crossover ticket that my old employer asked my to do yet I never did anything on site with it. So have next to no experience with it. Could I ask gas safe to disregard that as I don’t really want an inspection on LPG as I’ll be lost at sea!

I've had loads of inspections and I still worry them every time. I have no idea why I worry so much as every single time they've turned up we have a cuppa and a chat I usually get told no that changed 4 years ago so read up about that then we go off and do some work.

They want to see one of your jobs if possible if not then take them to a service or 2 if you haven't got the customers yet take them to a family member (only time they get me to do work for them is when I'm being inspected lol). They are not there to try and trick you so try and relax If your unsure of something look it up or ask.

Reply to First Gas Safe Inspection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have recently had a conservatory installed, covering the full length of the kitchen. I have just failed my gas safety inspection due to...
Replies
Views
Hi. just had my probationary inspection. Most of the inspection went ok, apart from when the inspector asked me questions about gas fires and gas...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi everyone, I’m just DIYing a bathroom refurb and came across this blanked off pipe in the wall that protrudes out about 2cm. The previous owners...
Replies
Views
Hi, need your honest views if you would be so kind. I’m 48 and work for the NHS (office based) and earn 44k a year. Ive been do fustrated and fed...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock