Discuss First Gas Safe Inspection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Just wondered if there were any particular areas they will definitely ask. I assumed tightness testing, gas rating maybe clearances etc. I wasn’t sure on certain things like Se or U ducts were going to come in or ducts in series anything like that as it’s not stuff Ive done bar the classroom

I cannot see them quizzing you on S + U duct installation to be honest. Those are things many of us don't come across that often.

The main things will be that you know the basic everyday safety checks e.g. Let-by, Tightness, Standing pressure, Working Pressure, Burner Pressure, Ventilation, flue termination, Gas Rates, Spillage testing (don't forget extract fans and interconnecting doors), Flue flow, ECV (Emergency Control Valve) position and labeling, Earthing/bonding etc etc.

If you test something make sure you test the test point/nipple with something like LDF or a sniffer if you have one (if you don't it won't matter for this) when you have finished. Check the anaconda joints and the thing itself with LDF (wipe it off after) or a sniffer. They are pre-governor so will be likely to have a higher pressure inside than the test pressure you use on the installation side, so will the ECV. I always test the joint pre-ECV with something too as that is definitely not tested during a tightness test. The Governor can lock up in some circumstances and any leak on the anaconda or ECV would fail to show a drop on the tightness test being carried out on the delivery side of the Governor (rare but seen it with my own eyes), that's another reason to test the anaconda.

If he is going to take you to see work, have your general everyday kit ready. e.g. LDF (Leak Detection Fluid), manometer and tube, stop watch (phone will do nowadays), FGA (calibrated), calculator (phone will do nowadays), Smoke bombs, Closure plate/duct tape, some caps/plugs/stop ends, fittings etc, warning notice pads, your book of words.

I hope this helps ease the worry. He is not coming to trick you in any way. If there are doubts/questions in your mind I'm sure they would prefer that you asked. It is up to them whether they release you into the world to work on Gas so they will want to see that if you don't know the answer, you'll find out!!

Any questions over anything I mentioned, I'm sure I or others will answer you.

Don't panic.

Last edited:
Just out of curiosity has anyone ever failed this inspection ?
If so what was the outcome ?
The other Gas Safe guy at my work had an inspection ( he’s been gas safe his full career and in his 50’s now ) don’t know what he had to do or what the outcome was because he wouldn’t tell me but my boss told me he failed it.

Reply to First Gas Safe Inspection in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I’m looking to retrain as a gas engineer and do a new entrants gas course. I’m a bit concerned by the ‘on-job’ work experience/shadowing, as...
Replies
Views
Hello, I have recently had a conservatory installed, covering the full length of the kitchen. I have just failed my gas safety inspection due to...
Replies
Views
Hi. just had my probationary inspection. Most of the inspection went ok, apart from when the inspector asked me questions about gas fires and gas...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hi everyone, I’m just DIYing a bathroom refurb and came across this blanked off pipe in the wall that protrudes out about 2cm. The previous owners...
Replies
Views
Hi, need your honest views if you would be so kind. I’m 48 and work for the NHS (office based) and earn 44k a year. Ive been do fustrated and fed...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock