Discuss Finding subcontractors? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Andyc321

Hi folks, thought I'd post up looking for advice as I'm sure there will be people on here in the same situation (or have been in the past) as me.

I'm a heating engineer with about 9 years experience in the domestic market and for the past year and a half I've been getting flooded with enquiries for jobs that I can't take on due to time constraints.

6 months ago I decided to take on a friend that is also a heating engineer as a subbie as he was out of work and I seemed to be getting plenty of enquiries, so far it has gone well and I'm pleased to say I'm experiencing more calls than I can take on.

Here's the thing, the only reason I came across the chap that's doing work for me as a sub at the moment is because he is friend, I have asked at my local trade suppliers etc and considered putting an advert in the Manchester evening news but they are looking for about £1000!

I really don't know who to turn to and I actually posted up on this forum advertising for subcontractors but I realise that might have been a mistake as I'm fairly new on here and I'm well aware that these are the types of places scam artists like to prey on folk looking for work then promising the world and taking a fee upfront etc.

Can anyone give me some advice on how they managed to get their fledgling operation staffed with sub contractors?

My long term plan is to employ a salesman/technician for new system installs and take a backseat from doing the work myself and focus on marketing and customer service and hopefully grow into a decent sized concern one day!

Thanks in advance for any help

Andy

Maybe have a look at local recruitment firms, but i dont know how much they might charge

Try the local job centre
Try asking in local plumbers merchants
Try the local colleges, not just for newly qualified engineers but people updating their quals

Contact an agency. They will have loads of blokes on their books.

I never thought about the college's that might be good idea for getting in touch with folk that have experience but maybe been out the game for a little while and are looking to get going again,

I haven't phoned any agencies yet as I'm frightened about what they might want to charge but that's daft I suppose because if you don't ask you'll never know!

I'm forever getting text messages offering reliable plumbers for only £12.97 + VAT / Hr... Pain in the proverbial.

I could do with those messages right now! Mind you, I don't know if I'd trust a random text message on my phone offering that!

Just realised your from Glasgow as well, maybe I should move back home! All in all seriousness though if you are after a bit of extra work my mates family own a large well known central heating firm in based in Glasgow that are always taking on folk, I can put you in touch if interested

No probs il pm you as soon as I'm in the door and on the comp in about an hour my phone is taking ages to load just now!

get down to your assesment center and ask there, plenty of people doing there acs and looking for teaming up doing installs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Finding subcontractors? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back