Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Ferroli Modena 80E no central heating - strange pressure jumps! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

diyapprentice

Hi All,

This is my first post to the forum - brought on by a lack of central heating....!!

We have a Ferroli Modena 80E which has been fine until recently.

Central heating water pressure had been dropping recently. We'd top it up a bit, back to about 1 bar. That'd be fine for a day and then we'd find it low again.

After a couple of days we spotted a wet patch under a radiator - argh! I've replaced the radiator - there were isolation valves at each end - phew - a thermostatic valve with an 'off' setting, and an isolator valve on the outlet end.

Although I've replaced the radiator, I haven't yet checked it and put it back in to the circuit as a new problem as appeared.

Symptoms:

1. boiler used to fire immediately hot water was turned on. It still does fire, but not instantly, maybe 15 seconds later.

2. central heating not coming on at all (except see below)

3. it is possible to get the central heating to come on by:

a. turn control knob to 'reset'

b. turn hot water tap on for about 30 seconds - ie. long enough to get the boiler to come on

c. turn hot water tap off. Wait for the 2 minutes enforced gap between water and heating

d. central heating will come on - boiler will light

At this point the heating pressure will rise from 1 bar to 2, then 3, then then boiler will cut off (safety, I guess!). The increase in pressure isn't smooth - it's jumpy from 1.5 bar onwards and I can hear what is probably air bubbles (water boiling, or air in the system and not being released?)

The central heating pressure drops slower, resting at 1.5 bar for a while.

When turning on the hot water tap after this process, the hot water will be *very* hot initially.

The central heating water pressure is still going low, below 1 bar. In case the low pressure was the issue I have topped up which was fine at the time, but the pressure then drops again over time.

I don't really know where this extra water is going....!!!!

My wife has reported that there was, on one occasion, a small amount of brownish water coming out of the hot water tap.

Obviously we'll need to get a plumber in, but does anyone have any ideas of what might be going wrong, and hence what sort of bill I'll be looking at...?!!!

Thanks in advance!!!

DIYApprentice

Welcome to the forum

You need to call a GSR to come and sort your boiler out as it against the law for you to work on it without being qualified to do so.

The boiler is a very simple boiler and by your description not a massive issue but probably a couple of issues rather than one.

There might be someone on here that can come and look at it for you, what area are you in?

Hi Thermological,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, totally agree about getting someone in - I said that at the bottom of my message! It's certainly not something that I'd take a look at, but I'd appreciate if anyone has any comments as it's always useful to have a little information before talking to an expert!

Did you have any ideas as to what the problem(s) could be?

Thanks!

Thread closed. Please read the forum rules and Thermo's advice above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Ferroli Modena 80E no central heating - strange pressure jumps! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I have a Worcester 28i junior boiler that has started to lose pressure, only when using the central heating. When using hot water I have no...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hi everyone, Looking for a bit of advice, recently went to a job where heating was operating when called for however not for the hot water. I...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock