Discuss Fast track gas course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

If you really want to get into gas then you really need to work along side a good and competent enginner, believe me I know. I didn't go the usual route and although I'm employed and gas registered, i wouldbt class my knowledge as the same as most engineers and it has held me back. Have you tried British gas? I think they train their engineers up fairly quickly compared to the traditional route and would be a better choice than those training centres.

If you really want to get into gas then you really need to work along side a good and competent enginner, believe me I know. I didn't go the usual route and although I'm employed and gas registered, i wouldbt class my knowledge as the same as most engineers and it has held me back. Have you tried British gas? I think they train their engineers up fairly quickly compared to the traditional route and would be a better choice than those training centres.
Yeah I have spoke to British Gas they just said keep looking on our job page for apprenticeship there never mention if they would take someone on who does a course like that have you done a course like that or did u go down a different route?

Yeah I have spoke to British Gas they just said keep looking on our job page for apprenticeship there never mention if they would take someone on who does a course like that have you done a course like that or did u go down a different route?
As far as I'm aware, British gas only like to use enginners they've trained up themselves.
The route I went down was long winded. I did 2 years of full-time college followed by getting a work placement with a gas registered company. I stayed with the firm for around 7 years doing alot of domestic gas installation etc but in that time my boss never allowed me back to college to complete my nvq2 and kept promising my I would get gas qualified through a fast track course instead. That never materialised and I left and joined my current construction firm. They have been good to me and paid for me to get my gas qualifications but it took them 4 years to actualy do it and in that time i forgot alot of what id learnt with my previous company. I believe it was around £4k for me to do it. I completed a Small portfolio followed by an access to gas course, which was literally a 2 day 1 on 1 assessment which basically bypassed my nvq3 so I then had the minimum requirement to do my acs which was another 2 days of training and 3 days of assessment. I'm greatful I'm qualified but I'm sure some enginners on here would be horrified at how easy I got it compared to how they did.

As far as I'm aware, British gas only like to use enginners they've trained up themselves.
The route I went down was long winded. I did 2 years of full-time college followed by getting a work placement with a gas registered company. I stayed with the firm for around 7 years doing alot of domestic gas installation etc but in that time my boss never allowed me back to college to complete my nvq2 and kept promising my I would get gas qualified through a fast track course instead. That never materialised and I left and joined my current construction firm. They have been good to me and paid for me to get my gas qualifications but it took them 4 years to actualy do it and in that time i forgot alot of what id learnt with my previous company. I believe it was around £4k for me to do it. I completed a Small portfolio followed by an access to gas course, which was literally a 2 day 1 on 1 assessment which basically bypassed my nvq3 so I then had the minimum requirement to do my acs which was another 2 days of training and 3 days of assessment. I'm greatful I'm qualified but I'm sure some enginners on here would be horrified at how easy I got it compared to how they did.
If British Gas were to train you up you I would think they would want someone younger rather than someone in there 30s that’s why I was wanting to do fast track course as the apprenticeship takes four years and most company wouldn’t employ a 30 year old apprentice the training course am looking at gives you 7 weeks work placement to get your portfolio built up

I'm sure some enginners on here would be horrified at how easy I got it compared to how they did.

You showed a sustained interest in gas work over more than a decade and did the training and passed the tests as and when your circumstances permitted. It doesn't seem like you had it particularly easy to me.

You showed a sustained interest in gas work over more than a decade and did the training and passed the tests as and when your circumstances permitted. It doesn't seem like you had it particularly easy to me.
I have committed to the trade since I left school at 16. But as I've mentioned in another thread, my portfolio consisted of 6 boiler installs and that was enough to do my access to gas followed by acs. In my opinion I didn't feel I knew enough to pass, and if the assessment was closed book I likely wouldbt have done.

Reply to Fast track gas course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the...
Replies
Views
Hi, My current hot water system needs to be replaced. Anyone got any suggestions or can recommend any plumbers around Derrimut area that won't...
Replies
Views
Fitted unvented hotwater cylinder building control looking forms signed it off job was in england i am qualified northern ireland send out a form...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock