Currently reading:
Fast track gas course

Discuss Fast track gas course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

looking at doing a fast track gas course in the Glasgow area and was wondering if there’s any in the Glasgow area that do these course and after the course is done is it possible to get a job with little experience

Was it hard to get a job after you had finished the course? Hiw long did it take you ? City of glasgow college do the gas foundation course one day a week for 6 months am looking at that the now failing that i will go to skills training group

Its more of who you know when you qualify as although you have the required certificates Employers are only interested in experience and how are you meant to get experience unless someone gives you a chance????? Catch 22 hence why you really need to know someone within a company to help get you started

Its more of who you know when you qualify as although you have the required certificates Employers are only interested in experience and how are you meant to get experience unless someone gives you a chance????? Catch 22 hence why you really need to know someone within a company to help get you started
Yeah like most jobs need so many years experience but you cant get experience without some company taken a chance on you but in saying that skills training group has a work placement in place for your portfolio hopefully that company may take me on after that

Yeah like most jobs need so many years experience but you cant get experience without some company taken a chance on you but in saying that skills training group has a work placement in place for your portfolio hopefully that company may take me on after that

Don't be dragged into that thought of the placement company maybe taking you on. Everyone always thinks that buddy

Hi @Pickwickpick

From your post above it looks like you are doing your gas with Logic4training?

I am thinking of doing the same, would you recommend it?

How is the course going?

Thanks

Sorry about the delay @WC1 in getting back to you, last week was crazy work wise thanks to a customer doubling the amount of work in a week where I had another job with imovable deadlines, leading to 14h+days and then just sleeping all weekend. Had tried to pm you but won't seem to let me.

Yes I am using Logic4training, I went with them as I'd had a couple of word of mouth recommendations and unlike other training centers I contacted they weren't doing too much of a hard sell.

I think they are probably about as good as can be within the confines of this sort of course and the tutors I've had have all been really good, passionate about gas, good fun and really keen on passing on their knowledge and best practice. The course has worked quite well for me as have bout 6yrs experience plumbing as sole trader, got taught a lot when I was young by family that are in the trade including more recently helping out my uncle up in Manchester who has been doing gas for 40yrs.

During the MLP (the main 3 week tution with some tests at the end of it which you have to complete before you can do CCN1, the final exam once portfolio signed off) we were in class of 10, about half of us with plumbing experience and about half with none, they did a 4 week 'plumbing' course before hand and I really don't see how they are going to be able to work in the field and it was a bit frustrating at times having some of them slowing things down quite a bit, but think that's going to be the case on any of these courses.

The other thing that I like about them is that they have booted out people that are clearly not cut out for it/dangerous, know that not all training centers would do that.

On a whole if this sort of course is the right thing for you I would recommend them. You will learn the safety side of things, but won't really get that much practical experience, if that makes sense. e.g. you will know rules and regs, how do all the safety checks, but there won't be any practice in actually fitting a boiler, repairing a boiler, doing pipework... Do you know how you would go about doing the portfolio side of things?

Happy to chat more about it/answer any questions, just drop us a pm or something

Had tried to pm you but won't seem to let me.
Haha! I would say the same, I tried to pm you but couldn't.
I've changed my settings, give it another go when you have a minute ;)

Screenshot_20190311-220731_Samsung Internet.jpg

Screenshot_20190311-220638_Samsung Internet.jpg

Reply to Fast track gas course in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back