Search the forum,

Discuss Fast track courses worth it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Fast track questions and answers

I'm off to the track tomorrow. Kelso races to blow my weeks takings :smile:

Alright lads! I've just finished my 6129 lvl2 in plumbing and now looking to get my NVQ2 complete, I've been told I need to get assessed on site for 2 bathroom suites and 2 central heating circuits, is this correct? Or is there more involved?

Alright lads! I've just finished my 6129 lvl2 in plumbing and now looking to get my NVQ2 complete, I've been told I need to get assessed on site for 2 bathroom suites and 2 central heating circuits, is this correct? Or is there more involved?
yeah it is 2 bathrooms, health and safety, prep work, and some other bits and pieces, can all be done at your 2/3 bathrooms. I think the college also ask for another job, like guttering/ 6 rads, i.e.

I have a serious fast track question... I have some ACS, is there any point in me getting a "plumbing qualification"??

That surely depends on your knowledge and experience of plumbing and how you want to work id have thought. If you need a cscs card you can only get an operatives card without nvq's unless you are GSR where you get a white gas card acs doesnt count for anything. That is if your ever looking for site work.

Fast track should be named 'basic skills'. I'm at college full time studying plumbing and I love it, currently self employed the other days in a trade I've done for ten years. My tutor is fantastic, and not for one minute am I under any dis illusion I will be a plumber after just a year. My grandad was a plumber, he is 80 now, he told me to expect around five years providing I shut up and listen, good advice. Second piece of good advice, if your self employed, your a salesman first and a plumber second. If you don't follow these rules you'll fold.

Hope I've not put a damper on anything, you can't be good at anything if you only have a brief go at it.

Second piece of good advice, if your self employed, your a salesman first and a plumber second. If you don't follow these rules you'll fold.

I expect the people who run these fast-track courses follow the same line of thinking, i.e. "You're a salesman first, and a trainer second!"

Such is the way of the world in a market based economy.

Hi, I am looking at becoming a self employed plumber, I have fitted over 10 bathrooms for friends and familly and a few kitchens. I really enjoy the work and have been told by many that I should do it for a living, I have been offerd payment for my work but untill now have never concidered it. I work in London monday to friday and travel home for the weekend and this has now become to much for wife and kids. So thought of training to be a plumber. The business side of things doesnt phase me as I have been in business development for 14 years and have started my own company before.

The thing that gets me is that I want to train and start working for myself at the same time, all the so called fast track cources dont lead you to the SQV you need to be certified, (although they offer some good basic training.

I like studying and would happily spend a day a week and weekends studying for all the certificates for boilers, heating, electrics. I just need to work at the same time.

To get the SVQ I cant be self employed and I cant survive on Sub Ā£20K trainee money. Is there no way my self employed work can be assessed and taken into account? Even though I could probably make a living not doing the courses Id rather do things properly.

The demand seems to be there, I was away and had a water leak and it was two weeks before a plumber could get to me! There are two local plumbers.

Hi, I am looking at becoming a self employed plumber, I have fitted over 10 bathrooms for friends and familly and a few kitchens. I really enjoy the work and have been told by many that I should do it for a living, I have been offerd payment for my work but untill now have never concidered it. I work in London monday to friday and travel home for the weekend and this has now become to much for wife and kids. So thought of training to be a plumber. The business side of things doesnt phase me as I have been in business development for 14 years and have started my own company before.

The thing that gets me is that I want to train and start working for myself at the same time, all the so called fast track cources dont lead you to the SQV you need to be certified, (although they offer some good basic training.

I like studying and would happily spend a day a week and weekends studying for all the certificates for boilers, heating, electrics. I just need to work at the same time.

To get the SVQ I cant be self employed and I cant survive on Sub Ā£20K trainee money. Is there no way my self employed work can be assessed and taken into account? Even though I could probably make a living not doing the courses Id rather do things properly.

The demand seems to be there, I was away and had a water leak and it was two weeks before a plumber could get to me! There are two local plumbers.
It sounds to me like you need the new Fast Fart Track Course I can offer you a really good rate only 2K instead of the normal 4K+ because it is only 4 weeks, is that sort enough (if not let me know & I will tell you about our very special fast fast fast one)
So as a you work in business development you will no doubt be aware that ever business depends of its success on the produce/s it sells & you think that after completing the plumbing work in a few bathrooms & kitchens plus a sort it of studying you will have a produce (skills) that anybody would be willing to pay for, to give you an income of +Ā£20K? all that travelling is effecting your grey matter my old mate.
I am not being funny but I would just quit your job, don't bother about the training, buy some books & start up on your own as a self-employed bathroom & kitchen plumbing installer give it a go for a few months to see what is really like to work as a plumber.

Very funny Chris. I was sying that I didnt want to do a fast track cource Id rather do one that leads to a propper industry recognised one like the SVQ3, I was struggling to find a course that offered the flexibility. And do I think people would pay for the work I am capable of doing at the moment? Yes I do, and I do it very well. Im wise enough not to attempt anything Im not capable of doing, hence wishing to study alongside working. Would I replace a whole central heating system? no I wouldnt, would I replace a radiator yes I would. The work I have done to date is as good as ive seen anywhere else if not better. Granted I probably do not have the speed of an experienced plumber in fitting a bathroom, but It will come.

Evertone has to start somewhere (You did)

So nothing wrong with my grey matter my old chum. and thanks for your encouragement or lack of it!

It sounds to me like you need the new Fast Fart Track Course I can offer you a really good rate only 2K instead of the normal 4K+ because it is only 4 weeks, is that sort enough (if not let me know & I will tell you about our very special fast fast fast one)
So as a you work in business development you will no doubt be aware that ever business depends of its success on the produce/s it sells & you think that after completing the plumbing work in a few bathrooms & kitchens plus a sort it of studying you will have a produce (skills) that anybody would be willing to pay for, to give you an income of +Ā£20K? all that travelling is effecting your grey matter my old mate.
I am not being funny but I would just quit your job, don't bother about the training, buy some books & start up on your own as a self-employed bathroom & kitchen plumbing installer give it a go for a few months to see what is really like to work as a plumber.

When I started out a self employed I used to hate calling it a business, I was just a bloke with tools and a van and everything else just fell in place. Sick of everyone saying you can just fast track your way into everything. Qualifications mean **** in the plumbing world, even in 2012. Nobody asked to see a tech cert at 11 at night on Christmas Eve on a call out. Rant over, forget the courses and find an old plumber, if its meant to be it'll all fall in place.

Very funny Chris. I was sying that I didnt want to do a fast track cource Id rather do one that leads to a propper industry recognised one like the SVQ3, I was struggling to find a course that offered the flexibility. And do I think people would pay for the work I am capable of doing at the moment? Yes I do, and I do it very well. Im wise enough not to attempt anything Im not capable of doing, hence wishing to study alongside working. Would I replace a whole central heating system? no I wouldnt, would I replace a radiator yes I would. The work I have done to date is as good as ive seen anywhere else if not better. Granted I probably do not have the speed of an experienced plumber in fitting a bathroom, but It will come.

Evertone has to start somewhere (You did)

So nothing wrong with my grey matter my old chum. and thanks for your encouragement or lack of it!

Just set yourself up as property maintenance, bathrooms etc, if you are good then you will last. This is not a dig, I just think that is the best place to start then you will learn as you get paid, and the mistakes you make will cost you, so you will learn to not make them. Best of luck, cos its hard on your own

Thanks for the advice Ill look into it, and yes nothing like hard finacial lesons learnt

Scots Jay, if you feel confident enough in your abilities, then go for it! It's not all doom and gloom out there, I've got 7 bathrooms booked in and 2 more to come.

All this negativity on here is pure bull **** and if you work hard and do the very best work that you can, set yourself very high standards and be prepared to go out there and do everything possible to bring the work in, then you'll succeed. If you sit on your rse in front of a computer and moan like some of them on here about a lack of work when you should be out there chasing it then you'll crash and burn just like them.

Welcome to the forums.

Thanks System3. I am going to give it everything, Im not afraid of hard work (I do circa 80 hours a week at the moment) and I was starting to wonder about all the negativity. Glad to see that there are those willing to be encouraging and help full.

West lothian, just out side falkirk
Contact your local Business Gateway and they run free business start up courses, offer tax and accounting advice and info about available funding. If you're in the Falkirk area, their office is in the Falkirk Stadium and you could qualify for a Ā£5,000 loan from the BP Loan Fund. East and West Lothian areas have their own offices, just Google for Business Gateway. Well worth it and it's all 100% free.

Help is available for training courses too.

Thanks, Ill do that, Ill contact them first thing in the morning. Thanks for all your help, if your ever doing a weekend job and can handle someone watching and asking questions while carrying your materials and equipment, let me know!

Contact your local Business Gateway and they run free business start up courses, offer tax and accounting advice and info about available funding. If you're in the Falkirk area, their office is in the Falkirk Stadium and you could qualify for a Ā£5,000 loan from the BP Loan Fund. East and West Lothian areas have their own offices, just Google for Business Gateway. Well worth it and it's all 100% free.

Help is available for training courses too.

fair do's system 3 knows he stuff - sound advice

Scots Jay, if you feel confident enough in your abilities, then go for it! It's not all doom and gloom out there, I've got 7 bathrooms booked in and 2 more to come.

All this negativity on here is pure bull **** and if you work hard and do the very best work that you can, set yourself very high standards and be prepared to go out there and do everything possible to bring the work in, then you'll succeed. If you sit on your rse in front of a computer and moan like some of them on here about a lack of work when you should be out there chasing it then you'll crash and burn just like them.

Welcome to the forums.
I hope he is not to close to you C, otherwise you may find you only have 5 booked in & no more to come. LOL

I have no problem with people starting up any form of business involving carry out plumbing work, so long as it is legal work i.e. gas, water reg,s etc. why should I there is nothing to stop you.

But please don't degrade the status of Plumber by suggesting that after a few bathrooms & a sort course you would in anyway shape or form be comparable to somebody who has trained both on & off the tools for a minimum of 4 years & still has to work for another 4-5 years perfecting those skills before they feel competent.
Do I feel aggrieved at this undermining of what is required to be a trained Plumber, you bet'yar, How would you feel ??????????

There is also a version of the Business Gateway in England, although I know very little about it. Some of the regulars from South of the Border will know or again do a Google search under "English Business Gateway".

Chris, Scots Jay was not making any aspertions about becoming a plumber after doing a short course, he was asking for advice and I gave this to him.

As to him or anyone else competing with me, well that's what business is all about......competition!

Competition ? your right, just make it on a level'ish playing field, will he know the Water By-law 2000 or does that not matter?

Thats right, I dont claim to be a time served plumber, but would like to get there one day. I have only 3 kitchens and 2 bathrooms lined up over the next 3 months so no competition to anyone just yet! But all good experience and should help build a buffer for when i take the full time plunge!

Competition ? your right, just make it on a level'ish playing field, will he know the Water By-law 2000 or does that not matter?
Our water regs up here are different from yours and yes it does matter. The guy has a least got SOME practical experience unlike some who have read it all from a book, so good luck to him.

A "level" playing field has been taken from our industry years ago with large corporations like BG and now even Tesco and the AA offering plumbing and gas services at rock bottom prices.

By the way, I'm not cheap but I'm swamped with work, so in my opinion everyone has a level playing field, moreso if you're experience shines through to a customer when surveying/quoting for a job over someone much less experienced.

I dont see why you have to be so negative chris... No I dont know every regulation, hence I would take advice on every job and look at regulations that pertain to the job i under take. What you should be saying is "make sure you look up xyz or ensure you work within abc. but no, you have to just snear and put down. Good job there are others more helpful and less threatened like system3.

I dont see why you have to be so negative chris... No I dont know every regulation, hence I would take advice on every job and look at regulations that pertain to the job i under take. What you should be saying is "make sure you look up xyz or ensure you work within abc. but no, you have to just snear and put down. Good job there are others more helpful and less threatened like system3.

If you have no understand as to why I am getting a little tied for all the "I know, I don't like my job so I will start plumbing after all I have done a few jobs at home" then you should read the threads & posts on here a bit more.
Jay if you start work & come back on hear you will find I will more than happily answer your questions, the problem is with due respect, that you know very little about plumbing & the regulations so how are you going to know what questions to ask me or any of the other. For that you need to be trained don't you ??

1) if you look back my first questions were about finding flexible training.
2) Youre right I dont know the questions, but I know what job Ill be doing and an experience plumber offering me advice will point out what i need to watch for.
3) all Im doing is replacing existing kitchens and bathrooms, (Usually in the same layout)

Therefore fairly familiar ground for me, Ill only undertake different jobs out side of this after i have had training and probably tried it out on my own properties!

There does that make sence? enough of your plumbing police attitude I think

Yes, thats lovely, good luck at the kitchen/bathroom replacement business, hope it does work out well for you.
PS. could you let me have details of your London job, cos I have a 24year old son, been out of work for nearly a year now, who could jump right into your shoe's, he has a degree & the loans to prove it.

HI Chris,

Im sure he could jump into my job at a lower rate of pay and be limited in what he is able to do, just like me in plumbing. Interestingly I started out in what I do now 14 years ago with no experience at all, started small and grew over time, had some great people who offered me advice when I asked and sometimes when i didnt allways helping me improve. And yes the sector I work in has allways been far more regulated than plumbing (its the medical sector) so there is hope for me that I can learn a new skill in another regulated environment.

Jay thats good to know & I really do hope you make a go of it, let us know how you get on. You may see from my posts that I am not so bad after all, just trying to help keep a trade from disintegrating completely from such a massive influx of un-trained, inexperienced people with unrealistic expectations, which does not help anybody connected with it.

& you are sure that he could take over your job without any training, albeit at a lower rate of pay? It is just that I have heard that them medical type don't like it unless you have some formal qualifications ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Fast track courses worth it? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
My son has an apprenticeship interview for to become a plumber and heating engineer. The have said there will be a multiple choice exam for this for suitability. The thing is my son panics during tests/exams. Is there any book I can buy him to practice the multiple choice test for the exam? What...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Iā€™m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. Iā€™m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock