Search the forum,

Discuss Donut washers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

mfgs

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
What donut washers do you guys find best. Also are there bigger ones available for the old 2 1/4 inch cistern holes?

depends old pans the rubber ones

ae235

but flat bit down to pan as more surface area and better squeeze unless there's a special indent for radius bit

newish ones

$_57.JPG

and get a donut for a 2" will stretch 1/4"

Last edited:
I seem to struggle to get a good seal with the standard donuts on the bigger 2 1/4 inch outlets. Although I have only ever done two, both have been a nightmare to get to seal with a standard donut.

I hate myself but i smear clearfix on doughnuts now and never had one leak since. Had to many of the dreaded wet finger on a late evening jobs.

I find if the cistern seems to stay up off the pan because the donut washer is clearly hitting solid, then those seals will not leak.
It is the loos where the cistern and pan china hit together that are more likely to leak.

If find the bigger softer donut washers seem to work in most cases, more so than the harder smaller ones that often come in the close-couple kit.

I've been coming across more of the 4 1/2'' ones lately, I think they're only found on ideal standard loos. I looked one up a while back and if I remember correctly they're ÂŁ6 each.
Luckily I have managed to re-seal the old ones I have come across so far. Although they're a rip off they do seem to be well made and keep their spring.

The 1.5" and 2" foam ones will seal on 99.9999% of WC's (i only don't say 100% as i believe - because i've seen pics -there are triangular ones out there? what on god's earth is the point of that..)

I bet if you put the doughnut in place and put the cistern on straight and level and get your mate to hold it in position, no c/c bolts, no screws to wall and flush it, it will never leak. Your job then is to keep it in that position, be that with spacers between tiles and cistern, be that leaving c/c bolts barely tight if a bad installation will force the cistern off level or off striahgt when tightened and so getting it solid by others means. That's the trick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Donut washers in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer are) and one of the guys there reckoned it might be "The Gap". I went to the new stockist and the guy there disagreed it was "The Gap" and that he'd...
Replies
Views
Hi All I have a leak coming from within my Mira Elite QT shower. It seems to be flowing from behind the switching Control. Any ideas what could be causing this leak. Already Changed the Pump Elbow as one of the clips had popped which was causing a second small leak, Any idea? Is it time to buy...
Replies
Views
Morning to any Australians lurking around! Register its free, then message me, I'll sort your account out for you. We will need a moderator from each main country too. I'll post this in the Australian forum now.
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock