Search the forum,

Discuss Does a corroded / damaged flue mean I need a new boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

brian.h

I have just purchased a flat with an Alpha 240E boiler. On getting the annual gas check (the flat is rented) the Gas Engineer has identified previously badly repaired corrosion holes in the flue and joints that have come apart. The flue is horizontal approx. 4m long and vents through a side wall.

The engineer has said the flue pipes will cost GBP100 per meter plus a similar amount to break out & replace the ceiling (the flue is in a plasterboard bulkhead) - giving a total cost of around GBP1,000. Instead, I have been recommended to buy a new electric boiler at GBP2,800, as they say the boiler which is 15 years old may only last another year or two anyway.

This seems an awful lot of cost for a failed 4m length of flue, so I am hoping you experienced engineers on this forum can give me a second opinion:

1. Does flue pipe really cost GBP100 per meter?
2. Does it have to be supplied by the original boiler manufacturer?
3. Is 15 years a realistic life for a boiler such as this?

Hope you can assist me here.

yes and yes if you can still get hold of it and you mean gas/oil boiler not electric ?

and they engineer should of turned your boiler off/ you cant repair flues

alpha spares are extortionate anyway ,bin it and get a decent boiler,he should have capped it off and made safe,why are you thinking of having electric?

Thanks for your responses guys - very quick!

So 15 years means the boiler is close to its end of life anyway?
And the reason I was recommended electric was I think so that there was no need for a new flue.
Is electric a lot more expensive to run than gas?

15yrs especially for a boiler such as this Alpha is very good going!
ÂŁ1000 to replace the flue this length is probably not too far off so best option is to replace boiler as your Alphas days are numbered really.
Stay away from they terrible electric boilers. Pound for pound it will cost you more to heat your home than gas!

Gas at the moment verses electric, roughly 3-1 in gas's favour , so yep you need a new gas boiler my friend

I have just purchased a flat with an Alpha 240E boiler. On getting the annual gas check (the flat is rented) the Gas Engineer has identified previously badly repaired corrosion holes in the flue and joints that have come apart. The flue is horizontal approx. 4m long and vents through a side wall.

The engineer has said the flue pipes will cost GBP100 per meter plus a similar amount to break out & replace the ceiling (the flue is in a plasterboard bulkhead) - giving a total cost of around GBP1,000. Instead, I have been recommended to buy a new electric boiler at GBP2,800, as they say the boiler which is 15 years old may only last another year or two anyway.

This seems an awful lot of cost for a failed 4m length of flue, so I am hoping you experienced engineers on this forum can give me a second opinion:

1. Does flue pipe really cost GBP100 per meter?
2. Does it have to be supplied by the original boiler manufacturer?
3. Is 15 years a realistic life for a boiler such as this?

Hope you can assist me here.

just this week ive replaced a 13yr old boiler due to it needing a new flue and other parts, due to the age of the boiler it works out better to install a new boiler sometimes,

get a few quotes to install a new boiler and bring the system up to scratch

Hi again all. I have now got several quotes and the best one includes a Keston Boiler. Are Keston OK?

Hi again all. I have now got several quotes and the best one includes a Keston Boiler. Are Keston OK?

Keston are manufactured by Ideal now so I'd have fewer reservations about them. Previously they were not very good in my opinion.

I would say no not for now as above but wouldn't trust them just yet

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Does a corroded / damaged flue mean I need a new boiler? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello I’m hoping for some perceptive / input as I’m a long-distance landlord trying to unpick the best thing to do. Gas safety certificate was done on my rental flat (1st floor) which has a 10 year old Aviston E-combi EVO boiler. It failed based on rusting external flu components, which has...
Replies
Views
Had our gas Baxi Combi inspected and serviced today, as it has been every year. Gas safety cert issued and says all okay, but engineer gave what I think was very... ambiguous... advice. 12yo boiler with the following readings on the analyser printout: O2% = 4.1 CO ppm = 192 CO2% = 9.5 Ratio =...
Replies
Views
We live in a 1980s four-bedroom detached house. The time has come for new central heating. The current system is a mild revision of the original heating installed when the house was built, and this revision was largely to replace a life-expired boiler: non-condensing fan flue boiler open...
Replies
Views
I'll pop this into the general advice forum as it seems the most active, but mods - feel free to move if there's somewhere more appropriate. Thank you! --- Apologies, but yet another "boiler losing pressure" thread - I've read many others, but am no closer... Not my boiler (parents), so...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the radiators but still gave hot water to the shower and taps. Naturally we thought there was a fault with the boiler. We had already arranged a yearly...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock