Discuss Do we NEED a pressure reducing valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SlowMoFlow

We have had problems with poor flow rates in newly-installed taps. Pressure was measured at 2.3 Bar at the kitchen tap.

The plumber has removed the Pressure Reducing Valve (rated at 2.1 Bar) which was fitted just after the main stopcock where the mains supply comes into the building. This has improved flow rates, but I'm concerned that now the building's plumbing is at full mains pressure, it might be putting too much stress on things like the boiler. We have a non-combi boiler and a hot water tank. No cold water tank in the building.

Should I be worried about this? Presumably the 2.1 Bar pressure reducing valve was installed for a reason.

Have you pointed your concerns out to your plumber? As you offer very limited information in your post it would be handy to know what your plumber said about it.

Was the PRV installed at the same time you had your boiler or another appliance fitted? If so, there may well be a good reason for it having been there.

Hi Keefy, yes the PRV was installed at the same time as the boiler etc. was fitted. I'm going to go back to them and see if they can tell me why it's there. Thanks for your help.

Sounds like you've got an unvented cylinder in which case it's needed.

Sounds like you've got an unvented cylinder in which case it's needed.

you dont find many unvented cyl prvs fitted where the mains comes into the building, so the above comment probably doesnt apply as an unvented cyl will have its own prv as pary of the combination valve in the pipework on the cyl.

I have seen 3.5 - 4 bar pressure into a combi and the main effect was that it simply couldn't heat the water up quick enough!

you dont find many unvented cyl prvs fitted where the mains comes into the building, so the above comment probably doesnt apply as an unvented cyl will have its own prv as pary of the combination valve in the pipework on the cyl.

I sometimes fit a prv by the stop tap when it's impossible to create a balanced cold without ripping the house to bits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do we NEED a pressure reducing valve? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

P
Hi All, I have replaced my existing Shaw and Mason chrome set with the Shaw and Mason forward bowl spindles/ Handles. I have kept the same tap or...
Replies
Views
PRJSyd
P
Hi All, I replaced my existing washbasin bowl set with new Shaw and Mason forward bowl set spindles and chrome handles. The water pressure has...
Replies
Views
I have a bathroom in my first-floor loft conversion. The header tank for the vented boiler is located as high as possible but the sink tap is just...
Replies
Views
A
Hi all - hoping to get some advice here on a plumbing issue in our house. When we are showering / filling the bath and another appliance draws...
Replies
Views
Azonic
A
Low hot water pressure Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone is able to shed some light on my situation before I have to call out the professionals...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock