Discuss Do more bends = less pressure? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

templar06

Howdy all.<BR>We have very low pressure to our shower. Its a low pressure system but since changing from a manual mixer to a new thermostatic bar type mixer it is now non existant. Well nearly, its 750ml per minute at the shower head! On nosying about in the loft there have been previous pipe amendments which include adding more bends than necessary to the hot water inlet! Looks like 3 have been added. The previous owner appeared to be quite thrifty and I was wondering if by adding these that he may have purposely reduced the flow rate in order to save on hot water. <BR>So then, do more bends equal less pressure in a low pressure system?<BR>Many thanks in advance.

I think im right in saying this, more bends/longer run will reduce the flow rate, but not the pressure.

Bends will make a tiny difference. A thermostatic valve has more gubbings inside which reduce pressure. You almost certainly need to fit a shower pump.

As mentioned bends will reduce the flow but not so much, if you take them out you might get 1lpm

Thermostatic valves are more restrictive than manual ones

I would advise that you look for a shower pump

Pop it next to the base of your HW cylinder and your good to go

the product you have bought is not suitable for low pressure systems. you will need a pump as said above

Many thanks for your comments.
Just thought I'd check before I try the pump route or take it out and install an electric one.

Be careful if putting in an electric shower as if you have low pressure then you may experience problems there too. Your money would be best spent on a pump.

it should state the min head and flow rate on your bar mixer guide.
typically a low pressure type would be efficient at 0.2bar, that is-shower head 2meters below storage tank.
if not pump it.

A lot of bar mixers have built in check valves,which are unnecessary in a low pressure system,as long as the hot and cold are equal.On some models these valves can be removed,greatly increasing the flow (and possibly invalidating the warrenty),but on the right system,this can make a massive difference.If the cold is on mains,don't even think about it,though!

if and by the sounds of it you need a pump look at stuart turner

Been looking at pumps, but this shower is supplied through the loft, mostly through 15mm pipe. It only becomes 22mm as it drops down into the bathroom. The 15mm runs are around 4m. Should the hot be in 22mm for the whole run? If it should be then I've no idea why it's not. It's the hot that is the problem.

i dont know if your old mixer had mains cold or not, (un-ballanced pressures) but if your going to pump, which i also think you should. (its a nicer shower :) ) but if it was un- balanced just make sure you have a cold distribution pipe from the cistern aswell as hot but tap it in just under the hot outlet incase it ever runs dry ( you wont get burnt)

Sounds like hot gravity, cold mains

I would pump it defo, ideally would need to refit the cold supply to come from Cold storage tank to pump so completely balanced to hot

yeah tap the cold just below the hot, doesnt have to be on same side, can if you want. its just incase it runs dry. hot will run out before the cold and you wont get scoulded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Do more bends = less pressure? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

We have a gravity fed hot water system in our the house we have just recently moved into. It works fine with the downstairs shower, however we are...
Replies
Views
I have just had a boiler, hot water tank and power shower pump replaced on advice by my plumber. I have two separate boilers, heat/hotwater...
Replies
Views
Hi, We moved into a new property yesterday and are a little baffled by the heating/water tank situation. The previous owners unhelpfully left any...
Replies
Views
Can central heating / gas engineer expert help me with below issue. During winter time only, I have been having issue with low pressure or...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock