Search the forum,
  • Thread starter Fedup
  • Start date
  • Replies 86
  • Views 9K

Discuss Disaster and stress! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fedup

Hello, any advice would be extremely welcome. This new external boiler only has a tiny spout as a condensate pipe, and the same with a vapour pipe. Am I right that they should go into a drain? I am also not happy with it being butted right up to the conservatory - is there a rule as to distance? ( there is loads of space)
Hopefully some photo's will explain things a little better. Thanks for reading.

Attachments

• DSCN0990.jpg
    DSCN0990.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 163
  • DSCN0989.jpg
    DSCN0989.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 147
  • DSCN0991.jpg
    DSCN0991.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 149
MFIs will detail distances needed for clearance. re the condensate drain off, it needs to go to a drain or soakaway, thats just going to destroy your brickwork in the long term. re the isolating switch, I prefer mine to have some protection, they are water resistant but there are limits and the cable run should be in conduit. All in all not very satisfactory. I prefer a decent concrete base as well not slabs on sand/cement

the cable used should be heat resistant and it is not best practice to lay it over pipework and from the pictures seen, I havent noticed any earth bond cabling to the oil feed pipe , you should have a 10mm yellow/green cable to oil supply but as this an external boiler it may not apply, although Im not sure, I would rather have it earth as when your cable on the pipe work deteriorates over time making the pipework live a decent earth bond would be nice to stop it killing the likes of me servicing your system. worst case scenario here, not always going to happen but!

Thank you lame plumber ( again). There is a green and yellow earth wire, it was attached to the old boiler. However, the end of it has been chopped off, so it isn't connected. The workmen managed to blow up two showers, there hasn't been any 'making good' in the holes in the walls, I have one soaked carpet, with rust stains, from a leak. So hope you can understand the distress!

So this copper wire isn't an earth wire? Is ok to pull it to see if it's attached? DSCN0966.jpg

No no no!

That's your fire valve remote phial.

Break that you'll have no heat!

So this is a fire valve ( very old one that was for the oil AGA ) now connected to a tiger loop? Where will I find the yellow and green earth wire?DSCN0997.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've seen worse but it's not good. Cables should be sleeved, pipes should be insulated, condensate to drain or soakaway, boiler too close to wall (the expansion vessel is at the back of these and you'll never get at it), hole through wall should have been closed up etc etc etc.

Couple of questions for op.
1. Where's the tank in relation to oil boiler? I find tiger loops are generally fitted by people who don't know what they are doing.
2. How far from boiler is the fire valve?
3. Have you had the building control certificate from your local council for the installation?
4. How many quotes/estimates did you get for the install? Did you use the cheapest? Did you ask to see previous work?

So this is a fire valve ( very old one that was for the oil AGA ) now connected to a tiger loop? Where will I find the yellow and green earth wire?View attachment 10848

You probably won't find an earth cable. If the oil is only going to the external boiler then it is no longer an incoming service so shouldn't need it. Or so the electrician I use tells me.

if you cant see it it aint there. if your fire valve now rests in your new boiler its the wrong spec, but better than none

You probably won't find an earth cable. If the oil is only going to the external boiler then it is no longer an incoming service so shouldn't need it. Or so the electrician I use tells me.

thought that might be the case, but its nice to have a good earth if your the muppet touching things!!

re tiger loop, I keep getting told they are good to use even when not req as they reduce air in oil line and prevent pumps cavitating and wearing out. Not sure on that one but dont fit unless height issues involved.

thought that might be the case, but its nice to have a good earth if your the muppet touching things!!

re tiger loop, I keep getting told they are good to use even when not req as they reduce air in oil line and prevent pumps cavitating and wearing out. Not sure on that one but dont fit unless height issues involved.

He bonds the htg f & r, hot and cold pipes as they enter.

The tiger loop will reduce the wear on a pump if it's near it's limits. But I generally find them fitted when not required because the installer doesn't even understand the use of them. Took one out last year. Bunded oil tank by front gate, garden dropped down a few feet and an old worcester heatslave in the utility room. Burner was probably two foot below bottom of oil tank.

He bonds the htg f & r, hot and cold pipes as they enter.

The tiger loop will reduce the wear on a pump if it's near it's limits. But I generally find them fitted when not required because the installer doesn't even understand the use of them. Took one out last year. Bunded oil tank by front gate, garden dropped down a few feet and an old worcester heatslave in the utility room. Burner was probably two foot below bottom of oil tank.

thought as much re tg loop, re bonding, 4mm supplementary bond isnt really the same as a 10mm earth bond, esp with a external boiler, I like to think I wont be jigging it if cables split esp on an install such as this! no offense to op

I've seen worse but it's not good. Cables should be sleeved, pipes should be insulated, condensate to drain or soakaway, boiler too close to wall (the expansion vessel is at the back of these and you'll never get at it), hole through wall should have been closed up etc etc etc.

Couple of questions for op.
1. Where's the tank in relation to oil boiler? I find tiger loops are generally fitted by people who don't know what they are doing.
2. How far from boiler is the fire valve?
3. Have you had the building control certificate from your local council for the installation?
4. How many quotes/estimates did you get for the install? Did you use the cheapest? Did you ask to see previous work?

1. The tank is about 30 feet away.
2. 26 inches away, and about 23 inches from the vapour release spout.
3. No, do I need one?
4. I had 3 quotes, this was for new combi boiler, so the old tanks had to be removed. Ā£3,980!

1. The tank is about 30 feet away.
2. 26 inches away, and about 23 inches from the vapour release spout.
3. No, do I need one?
4. I had 3 quotes, this was for new combi boiler, so the old tanks had to be removed. Ā£3,980!

1. What height is the tank in relation to the boiler?
2. Too close to boiler.
3. Oh yes, as a famous dog would say. Was it commissioned? or have you not got the extended 2 year warranty either? i.e. the installation registered with worcester

OP is now feeling as stressed as Irish supporters, you may want to get your boy back to remedy things.

1. What height is the tank in relation to the boiler?
2. Too close to boiler.
3. Oh yes, as a famous dog would say. Was it commissioned? or have you not got the extended 2 year warranty either? i.e. the installation registered with worcester

Worcester Bosch 7 year guarantee, parts and labour. Yes it was supposedly commissioned, but I'm not sure what that would entail.
Please tell me what commissioned is? I guess you've all realised it's a woman writing this!

a piece of paper confirming the boiler is set up and running correctly, normally part of service manual paperwork and essential if you want a warranty to work

I'd be interested to hear how you've got a 7 yr warranty on an oil boiler!

Commissioned is the act of completing a CD11 and all the necessary checks that go with it to confirm correct and safe operation.

The installation/commisioning should have then been registered either with a competent person scheme or with building control and you should have had a certificate off of them that you keep with your house docs when/if you sell. You'll need it.

Oh and welcome to the forum :)

Even if it has been registered under warranty Worcester can still refuse to honour it as the boiler is not installed to the manufacturers instructions (clearances).

You may find that they'll replace an oil pump if needed, but if the expansion vessel goes you could very well be told 'we can't touch that, too close to wall, health and safety'

Yes, it was commissioned then, I have it all filled out in the instruction manual. It states on the receipt that it is guaranteed for 7 years, parts and labour.

Thank you for the welcome, and thank you to all of you.

Fedup can you take a picture of this so we can check it for you? Welcome to the forum :)

Tigerloops def seem to help the oil pumps last longer.
What can't be argued is that they remove air from the oil & the oil will be slightly preheated due to the friction of the pump. Warmer oil in winter & less nozzle drip will save money. I think they are worth their price & it means the oil tank can be more hidden, being lower sometimes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Disaster and stress! in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
I want to reconnect some outbuildings to an existing water supply. The supply pipe is old 22mm MDPE and buried for a fair distance so not going to dig it up and replace it šŸ˜¬. Question is can I use normal 22mm plumbing push-fit connectors to make the connection as finding 22mm MDPE fittings...
Replies
Views
Hello all, Iā€™m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. Iā€™m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. Itā€™s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock