Search the forum,

Discuss DFE Ventilation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I know this has prob been discussed but I can't find the thread.

So my boss calls me today and says:

"Jay, I'm at blah blah property, you turned off a DFE as there was no vent?"
"Oh yeah" I say.
"How'd you work that one out, it's only 6kW?"
"All DFE's need a 100cm2 vent even if under 7kW" I say
"Nah, they use adventitious air" he says and reinstates the fire.

I've read my book 3 times now which clearly states that all DFE fires less than or equal to 20kW require a 100cm2 vent - unless MI's say otherwise. No MIs were available.

Am I right or am I wrong?

As confirmed in absence of MI's the default for DFE fires is 100cm² vent!
Your boss is a muppet!

Generally yes if you don't have the MI's but not always.
Under 7kw if the flue can clear 70mÂł/hr of products it doesn't need one.

Basically if you don't have the book and haven't a spare hour to pis about on the internet looking for it, Its going of and if your boss wants to turn it back on wgaf. Its his problem not yours.

Only if MI's confirm this is acceptable tamz. It is not a general standard.

Basically if you don't have the book and haven't a spare hour to pis about on the internet looking for it, Its going of and if your boss wants to turn it back on wgaf. Its his problem not yours.

Maybe but is his choice and he is paying the wages.
Just cause he pays the wages it does not exempt him from being a muppet!:tounge_smile:

its his gas safe reg if he gets pulled up tho

Last edited:
At the end of the day he is the responsible person now its back on and generally, not always, being an employer makes you pretty fuc kin switched on about what can and can't be done as he has a lot more than a job or a couple of quid to loose.

Well, my name is on paperwork turning it off so I did what I was meant to. And I'll carry on with this rule. Thanks for all the replies guys ;) much appreciated

Are you sure it was a DFE fire and not LFE? I've had this quite a few times with the guys at work where they aren't sure.

As Tamz said generally a gaffer who is on the tools with a GS card will probably know what can and can't be done, and have a bit of savvy about him, and if he's reinstating something you turned off will probably double double check.

Are you sure it was a DFE fire and not LFE? I've had this quite a few times with the guys at work where they aren't sure.

As Tamz said generally a gaffer who is on the tools with a GS card will probably know what can and can't be done, and have a bit of savvy about him, and if he's reinstating something you turned off will probably double double check.

It was def a DFE, without a doubt.

Well, my name is on paperwork turning it off so I did what I was meant to. And I'll carry on with this rule. Thanks for all the replies guys ;) much appreciated
I bet, your Boss won't call you again. :45:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to DFE Ventilation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I am new to this forum and was wondering if anyone can help me with recognising this DFE gas fire and locating a manual for it. I have a Wonderfire Gasflame Special DFE gas fire and need a manual to look at to see the required ventilation for a gas safety certificate. I cannot find anything...
Replies
Views
I'm building a new build bungalow and have 3 stub stacks coming up through the block and beam floor. I will be installing an external Soil Vent Pipe at the head of the drain, but I am unsure of how to terminate/ventilate the 3 stub stacks. My ideal solution is to put an AAV at low level behind...
Replies
Views
K
Quick question about ventilation for gas fires with cavity wall insulation We would like to get cavity wall insulation, we chose a CIGA registered installer and have been told we need a vent in our lounge as we have a fire. I have looked at the "CIGA flues, chimneys and combustion air...
Replies
Views
I know DFEs under 20kW have 100cm2 vents, if a DFE is 25kW, would you just put in another 135cm2 vent as you would with 2 DFEs? Had a fire today that I had to cap off as the flame was about a foot and a half high and coming through the fire guard and no ventilation - it also had no gas valve...
Replies
Views
A
Hey all just wanted to get your thoughts,ive always been under the impression that a fire under 7kw doesn't need ventilation,after talking to a colleague who needed some advise on a fire another colleague over heard and said that all fuel effect fires need 100cm2. In my viper book there is a...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock