Search the forum,

Discuss DFE Ventilation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaydebruyne

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
I know DFEs under 20kW have 100cm2 vents, if a DFE is 25kW, would you just put in another 135cm2 vent as you would with 2 DFEs?

Had a fire today that I had to cap off as the flame was about a foot and a half high and coming through the fire guard and no ventilation - it also had no gas valve, literally just a tap to open the gas and ran at 25kW - hence my question.

Ive never seen one anywhere near those Kws lol.
Just little paltry ones up newcastle

Lol that's what I thought when I switched it on haha but no it was like an effing pyrotechnic display in their lounge

And while doing the meter tests, I stumbled upon this little fella.. After googling it turns out its a false widow poisonous spider!!!!!

e4d09323bb7ab696297f352d0e7b0d16.jpg

blow torch it !!!
Next to a gas meter? Lol the web is really different to normal spiders, a lot tougher.. Little fecker kept looking at me - a year ago I would have run home crying! Now I just mess myself... Haha

kills the poor lickle spider and checks for gas leaks in one fell swoop, easy peasy

Hopefully now I let it live I'll have good spidy karma and all his brethren will leave me be for-evvvv-errrr

Youll only go back next year and all theyll find is a pair of steel toe capped boots near the meter box and a manometer hose sticking out of its gob.

Kill kill kiiiillllllllll

Undo the union leave the blow torch on full wack and drive away quickly, Kill it and any others in the street!

I don't think I've ever seen a gas fire over 6kw

Literally the flames were going into the chimney..

And while doing the meter tests, I stumbled upon this little fella.. After googling it turns out its a false widow poisonous spider!!!!!

e4d09323bb7ab696297f352d0e7b0d16.jpg

Just wear gloves and shoo him away.

I can't stand spiders but wouldn't kill one unless it was climbing over me then it's only self defence whilst running around screaming!

I know DFEs under 20kW have 100cm2 vents, if a DFE is 25kW, would you just put in another 135cm2 vent as you would with 2 DFEs?

Had a fire today that I had to cap off as the flame was about a foot and a half high and coming through the fire guard and no ventilation - it also had no gas valve, literally just a tap to open the gas and ran at 25kW - hence my question.

I would be recommending a new fire to them. That one must be a gas guzzler and also must be ancient! I've only come across 1 gas fire with no gas valve or controls and it was installed in the 60's.

25Kw DFE never seen one with that output, what make was it ? & what size gas supply, don't know about flames going into chimney, they must have been coming out the top ! Bet they had horrendous gas bills !!

I found one of those hateful little sods hiding under unvented cylinder in the box nearly hit the roof when I saw it. image.jpg

I should point out that I really don't mind spiders either

25Kw DFE never seen one with that output, what make was it ? & what size gas supply, don't know about flames going into chimney, they must have been coming out the top ! Bet they had horrendous gas bills !!
No make and 8mm pipework.. At high flame I coulda sworn it was guy Fawkes

Just wear gloves and shoo him away.

I can't stand spiders but wouldn't kill one unless it was climbing over me then it's only self defence whilst running around screaming!
Didn't have any on me, so just pulled my sleeve over my hand.. Literally a year ago I would have told the office I didn't make the job and got someone else to go haha

they are not poisonous arent they ?

Looks just like a false widow to me, markings on the back and everything.. People have had limbs amputated and some people have died from their bites - there was an influx of them in the UK not so long ago

It's when you have to shut the water off externally and you lift the manhole and there's about 20 of the buggers! I then shut the lid and go find my stopcock key. I refuse to put my hand down that spider infested hole!!!

Looks just like a false widow to me, markings on the back and everything.. People have had limbs amputated and some people have died from their bites - there was an influx of them in the UK not so long ago

Read the Daily Mail less.

You are less likely to be bitten by one than you are to be stung by a wasp, should you encounter both. They are less aggressive than wasps and their bite is less dangerous to most people than a wasp sting.

Read the Daily Mail less.

You are less likely to be bitten by one than you are to be stung by a wasp, should you encounter both. They are less aggressive than wasps and their bite is less dangerous to most people than a wasp sting.

Have you not seen pics of people's limbs after a bite??

how bad individual cases of unlucky people can be is no grounds for regulating your caution. aussies live among endless dangeous critters yet remain largely panic free. perspective, innit.

how bad individual cases of unlucky people can be is no grounds for regulating your caution. aussies live among endless dangeous critters yet remain largely panic free. perspective, innit.

Everything is perspective I guess.. And knowing the facts. If you don't know the facts then your perspective is based on either ignorance or fear (I've had way too many glasses of wine lol)

Don't get me wrong. If I saw one I'd **** myself too. But what I'd be trying to tell myself is that there is very little reason to do so. Tabloid hysteria (like advertising) works on you even as you're laughing at it's ridiculousness, that's why it's so pernicious.

The problem is then you get lynchmobs waving firey pitchfork looking to exterminate hoardes of local paedos, baby stealing foxes or puppy savaging seagulls

I may have imagined it but seem to remember Chris Packham doing a tour or tv and radio shows during the height of the hysteria to call bull**** on it. I seem to remember him having one on his hand at some point while talking about them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to DFE Ventilation in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have recently had a conservatory installed, covering the full length of the kitchen. I have just failed my gas safety inspection due to lack of ventilation. I have a ventless extractor fan, thinking that would do that job… but apparently not. Is there any other solutions to it? and why...
Replies
Views
Hello - I have installed a garden sump-pump. In the photo you can see that I’ve replaced the Cloakroom-sink bend that previously went to the gulley with a Tee. Water in Sump vent hose now goes past the cloakroom outlet. Predictably the pump causes gurgling as it creates a partial vacuum going...
Replies
Views
Full disclosure, I am an Electrician. One of my older clients has just had her fire capped off because it doesn't comply with today's regs and was told the regs are now retrospectively applied. This is the opposite of what I am used to. For example, if I do an electrical inspection and find a...
Replies
Views
Hi all Wondering if you could help with this strange issue. I have a Vaillant ecotec 637 (set to 20kw part load) which was connected via a LLH to my system of 3 zones; DHW and 2 radiator zones. The gas usage was high and didn’t feel the boiler was modulating, so yesterday I decided to remove...
Replies
Views
T
For about a year, my shower on a third floor is giving an on off gas smell sometimes after a shower and particularly in the morning not long after the sun rises enough to hit our roof. I usually run some water into my p-trap and the smell goes away after a few minutes. There is a tub right...
Replies
Views
Timmy1
T
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock