Search the forum,

Discuss Detached Exit Pipe - Need new part? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fusional

Hi, hope someone can help!

So the main pipe which runs down the side of our building taking water from our flat and the flat below's bathroom seems to have come loose from where it meets the ground floor flat. Photo hopefully shows this. All bathroom water is going onto the roof of the garden flat below. Not nice.

I can't see any part that has fallen off - but the pipe does seem an inch or two short. Right now all I have is leak-sealing tape and gaffer tape. Is there a part I need to buy or how else can I fix this?
Drain.jpg

Welcome to the forum. That rubber slip coupling where the 2 pipes join should be half & half on both pipes then tighten the jubilee clips so it looks like something has come loose and moved.

Thanks for the quick reply - so I should be able to just pull down the pipe and then fasten?

I did try to yank it down a bit but there wasn't a lot of give - but I'll try again.

Don`t go yanking anything! You have to find out if a pipe has slipped down or is it the rubber coupling that has slipped down.

Either the upper pipe was cut too short
Or the upper pipe has crept up with thermal movement
or the lower pipe has dropped.

Check in the flat below to see if the lower pipe has dropped

In the worst case if the gap is too big and wont close, you'll need another Marley coupler and a short piece of pipe.
Cut a piece of the existing out and then cut a new piece to fit exactly in the gap.
You'll need a coupler at both ends of the new piece.

Ok, thanks. Well the pipe at the bottom meets the ground floor roof just below - so that can't haev shifted - and don't understand how the upper pipe could/would have shifted upwards - so I think it must have been the rubber coupling.

Sorry - one more question - if I shift the rubbber coupling up, how do I fix it in place? That jubilee clip doesn't look like it is attached to the rubber coupling.

One more photo in case that helps.

Drain 2.jpg

Jubilee clips are metal on outside of the rubber coupling not the plastic clip below the coupling.
Looking again at the pictures the Marley coupling looks a lot newer than the pipes ????

Just noticed the pipe clip is doing nothing so has the lower section dropped even though the OP said it hasn`t but the Marley coupling still has the paper on it so it`s not that old.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Detached Exit Pipe - Need new part? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I was stupid enough not to check the position of the pipes under the tiles when installing a toilet and drilled right through the center of a 16...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock