Search the forum,

Discuss Detached Exit Pipe - Need new part? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

fusional

Hi, hope someone can help!

So the main pipe which runs down the side of our building taking water from our flat and the flat below's bathroom seems to have come loose from where it meets the ground floor flat. Photo hopefully shows this. All bathroom water is going onto the roof of the garden flat below. Not nice.

I can't see any part that has fallen off - but the pipe does seem an inch or two short. Right now all I have is leak-sealing tape and gaffer tape. Is there a part I need to buy or how else can I fix this?
Drain.jpg

Welcome to the forum. That rubber slip coupling where the 2 pipes join should be half & half on both pipes then tighten the jubilee clips so it looks like something has come loose and moved.

Thanks for the quick reply - so I should be able to just pull down the pipe and then fasten?

I did try to yank it down a bit but there wasn't a lot of give - but I'll try again.

Don`t go yanking anything! You have to find out if a pipe has slipped down or is it the rubber coupling that has slipped down.

Either the upper pipe was cut too short
Or the upper pipe has crept up with thermal movement
or the lower pipe has dropped.

Check in the flat below to see if the lower pipe has dropped

In the worst case if the gap is too big and wont close, you'll need another Marley coupler and a short piece of pipe.
Cut a piece of the existing out and then cut a new piece to fit exactly in the gap.
You'll need a coupler at both ends of the new piece.

Ok, thanks. Well the pipe at the bottom meets the ground floor roof just below - so that can't haev shifted - and don't understand how the upper pipe could/would have shifted upwards - so I think it must have been the rubber coupling.

Sorry - one more question - if I shift the rubbber coupling up, how do I fix it in place? That jubilee clip doesn't look like it is attached to the rubber coupling.

One more photo in case that helps.

Drain 2.jpg

Jubilee clips are metal on outside of the rubber coupling not the plastic clip below the coupling.
Looking again at the pictures the Marley coupling looks a lot newer than the pipes ????

Just noticed the pipe clip is doing nothing so has the lower section dropped even though the OP said it hasn`t but the Marley coupling still has the paper on it so it`s not that old.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Detached Exit Pipe - Need new part? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I need some help on this shower drain installation. I’m about to install a corner shower kit in my basement bathroom. But I just found out the shower drain is actually extruded from the bottom of the shower base and I have concrete floor with the drain pipe rough in. I have the drain pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Bit of advice needed. Waste water pipe from bathroom sink came loose last night caused some water damage to ceiling below. My question is the brown pipe seems to have came loose, but seems to have just been pushed into thread above.There is nothing holding it in place, is this...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing with it as a matter of course. If I'm wrong can someone let me know and I'll shift it to a better place.] I have a condensing boiler installation...
Replies
Views
Hello friends - I really struggle to understand my heating and hot water system I posted my question on Diynot but it ended up being five pages and couldnt get to the bottom of it and I thought worth asking the elders on here for their view - Hot water temp is 40 Degrees - Ideal Mexico 2...
Replies
Views
Background I have a small one-bedroom flat in the roof space in a victorian house. There are three floors below and each floor has a single one-bedroom flat. The mains pipe bringing water into my top-floor flat is 15mm copper pipe. There is a water meter in the flat and a stop valve. There is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock