Search the forum,

Discuss damaged cooker ring - unsafe situation? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

bassmonster

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
Hello all,
what would you classify a damaged cooker ring as in photo? AR or ID?

IMG_20140226_215821.jpg

Thank you.

Wouldn't that depend on room co levels and colour of flame? If co level of room is ok and flame colour is ok, then AR? Just checking. Also on the subject, what if it is really dirty, would you at AR it? I mean proper proper dirty, like you can't even see the original colour of the hob

Wouldn't that depend on room co levels and colour of flame? If co level of room is ok and flame colour is ok, then AR? Just checking. Also on the subject, what if it is really dirty, would you at AR it? I mean proper proper dirty, like you can't even see the original colour of the hob
do you need glasses?its so dirty most of it has disintegrated

i was quite surprised that the cooker ring has literally melted. if you take the ring as a clock, the damage is between 3 and 4 o'clock....

No I am not an idiot, my point is that to classify it as combustion effected, you need to prove it!! To class it as dangerous due to damage is more to the point.

He comment on a thread regarding the situation of a hob ring that has suffered severe heat damage and has had a lack of maintenance for quite some time

If he would class this as AR and only turn off. IMO and by the looks of it other peoples opinion, he would be massively wrong. And this needs to be a ID situation

The comments regarding the combustion of the gas. My experienced opinion would say that due to the lack of uniform resistance on the gas flow throughout the ring will cause an increased flow of gas to a concentrated area. And also directly affect the stoichiometric mix of the gas. This causing incomplete or dangerous combustion

Fair enough, but why start calling somebody an idiot??

like I say he asked a question and you just shot him down, there was no need to start calling him an idiot and telling him never to work on gas again.

All that need to be said is that the appliance was ID and point the chap in the right direction.

He comment on a thread regarding the situation of a hob ring that has suffered severe heat damage and has had a lack of maintenance for quite some time

If he would class this as AR and only turn off. IMO and by the looks of it other peoples opinion, he would be massively wrong. And this needs to be a ID situation

The comments regarding the combustion of the gas. My experienced opinion would say that due to the lack of uniform resistance on the gas flow throughout the ring will cause an increased flow of gas to a concentrated area. And also directly affect the stoichiometric mix of the gas. This causing incomplete or dangerous combustion

were you born experienced or did you get it through doing the job.
if jace only does installs and no cp12's then he wont get the range of work.
its a perfectly valid question and he has the right to ask without being ridiculed!!

would you prefer us to not ask for fear.of you branding us as idiots for it.

you're a trusted advisor on here so please act like it.

It's only because of some of the things jase comes out with

Sometimes I think some people need extra training.

It's concerning to me that people can get gas tickets and then play with people's lives

Over the years I have cut appliances off becuase of a bad feeling. Done some research and then gone back. Better to be safe than sorry

Theres giving people extra training and then there's calling people stupid though.

If you call someone out for asking a question then next time they won't ask the question and then they'd never learn and end up leaving dangerous situations anyway.

To to be fair to jase, I've never seen him make a comment that makes him look stupid. And if I remember properly I'm sure he's only just qualified.

were you born experienced or did you get it through doing the job.
if jace only does installs and no cp12's then he wont get the range of work.
its a perfectly valid question and he has the right to ask without being ridiculed!!

would you prefer us to not ask for fear.of you branding us as idiots for it.

you're a trusted advisor on here so please act like it.

image.jpg

I don't call everyone an idiot.

As a TA I give as much adivce as I can

Sometimes I think a little tough love can be more beneficial than a meere pointing out

I was not born with experience but have worked very hard to get to where I am

I am more than willing to also help those less experienced than me to progress and develop further

I will also supply my mobile number for anyone who would like advice when "on the job"

In another thread I am posting to jase and we have already found another way of improving or potentiality improving his solder technique not only for appearance but for time saving too

So I'm not always horrid

Calling someone an idiot is not tough love.

Do you think if you call someone an idiot they will come to you for advice in the future?

Tbh I have seen loads of hobs but they are all fine, not a single thing wrong with them, mainly in new builds round here. I was asking the other question to See what you would do if it was really dirty but not effecting the combustion or the flame!! But when you move it you can feel the stickyness and you put it on the side and it needs a crowbar to pick it up again.

Well if jase. You. Or anyone else would like advice. I don't hold grudges. And I would think that other don't hold grudges too

We are all grown ups.
We all live in the big bad world.
And I think that being in this game you have to be fairly thick skinned to take the flack we get

You definitely need thick skin but I wouldn't expect to have to use it for the words of another engineer on a forum though.

Tbh I have seen loads of hobs but they are all fine, not a single thing wrong with them, mainly in new builds round here. I was asking the other question to See what you would do if it was really dirty but not effecting the combustion or the flame!! But when you move it you can feel the stickyness and you put it on the side and it needs a crowbar to pick it up again.

I think hobs are one of the most neglected gas appliances there is.

In my experience people only ask for a service on them when something is wrong.

I once worked on an estate in birmingham and was forever isolating hobs due to lack of maintenance.

The previous firm that had the contract has completely ignored the hobs on the cp12 and it was never recorded.

I found lots lots like the picture in this thread and even found one with a hole in the centre of the hob about the size of a fiver. God knows how it got there and the hob was to filthy for me to even investigate.

My point is that in the initial picture it looked as if the ring was dirty or a little worn, I would not be happy to just say it was burnt and is ID, it could of been dust or dirt, (I'm guessing most people zoomed in, I didn't) if this was cleaned up and was producing a good flame and co levels were fine then it would be ok, if it was damaged but still producing a good flame and co levels of the room were fine then possibly an AR. My emphasis was on seeing the different possibilities, you are assuming that it was burnt (probably from years of experience) I did not see that it was burnt. I have just looked at my gsiup book and a damaged hob due to inadequate maintenance (10.1 I think) is ID regardless of flame or combustion readings. I like to cover my jarse!!

Surely this should be advertised more?? People never ask for a cooker/ hob service, I usually offer for free when doing a boiler service to gain more experience.

I found doing ha cp12s I was giving more warning notices for cookers than boilers some were never cleaned since they were installed meaning grease milk,water were rotting the hobs.Sometimes it was the oposite and they were scoured and had so much cleaner sprayed on them they would get blocked up or rot the injectors

I found doing ha cp12s I was giving more warning notices for cookers than boilers some were never cleaned since they were installed meaning grease milk,water were rotting the hobs.Sometimes it was the oposite and they were scoured and had so much cleaner sprayed on them they would get blocked up or rot the injectors

Thats where I used to find loads of dodge hobs and cookers. Cp12 work was a right pain the back side, I could easily AR 7/8 appliances a day easily. Mostly though lack of maintenance.

I disconnected a cooker that was leaking, the cooker and the kitchen was covered in grease and mice droppings put on gloves to move the cooker so much grease on the side that when I pulled my hands away the gloves stayed stuck to the side,this was in a ha house the guy had a 50k merc was wearing a500 quid suit on.Went back the next year to cp12 and had to disconnect the same cooker he had refitted to sublet the place

anyone who does there ccn1 or appliances would recognise that burner ring, saw it 3 times today, and you get a classic flame lift as if you remember all those little gaps on the ring are there to prevent flame lift, coz I'm grumpy and good I,m not going back for another day of exams on Friday, just sitting and waiting to kill the delivery man who didn't leave my parts today. He is going to learn not to be such an arsssses in future when he arrives, you lot haven't ever seen grumpy being grumpy, but he will tomorrow!!

hobs/ cookers are the number one appliance i disconnect and label up. 9/10 its just lack of cleanliness, if its an old dear or disabled person i may find it in my heart to clean it up. But most of the time i tell the tennant/home owner there kitchens minging and get a signature and tell them its fish and chips tonight.

jase, not get fixated on co readings unless its a modern boiler, use your eyes, if the flames not correct its fish and chips time!

Last edited:
scabby knackered hobs and cookers are the main reason ive never wanted to venture into the catering side of gaswork.

I just wonder "how" melted , incorrect cleaning method ?
Maybe a combination of cheap, crappy hob and poor cleaning/build up of crap concentrating more of the flame onto that section of the ring.

little tip if you have a poor flame and it looks like the jet drop some brown vinegar in it,wait 10 mins,dab it out problem fixed

I've never serviced a hob or cooker since starting out doing cp12's. They aren't included in the contract and are visuals only

Do not forget to turn on burner rings and then turn down to low and see if the flame stays on or goes out but still leaks unburnt gas exiting the jet, many do due to poor cleaning, ID, many tenants do not report just say 'oh that ring does not work on low'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to damaged cooker ring - unsafe situation? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum but it looks great so far. I have a question about classifying a cooker .... Is a cooker with missing knobs AR or ID? I can work the hobs using the metal parts so they do work, but the plastic control knobs are mostly missing. Any ideas? thanks
Replies
Views
Hi, my mother had an electric cooker installed yesterday. The guy who fitted it said it shouldn't be close to the gas pipe but it is. The red arrow shows the gas pipes, the blue arrows are the electric supply for the cooker and the purple is the back of the cooker. I know nothing of plumbing...
Replies
Views
Hi there, Big gas noob here. We got a gas cooker installed a few days ago, and the gas cooker is now sitting quite far away from the wall (3cm which sounds like not much but throws the balance off of the kitchen), which means there's a large gap now between the cooker and the wall, but it now...
Replies
Views
    • Love
It's DIY forums like this that have helped countless people fix, repair or replace things in their homes, which helped prevent additional damage and/or save a bunch of money in the process, not to mention that amazing feeling you get once you're done with the repair. So thank you to all the...
Replies
Views
R
Is it possible to change my rayburn royal from a cooker which also runs the hot water in my house to just a cooker. I want to have a combination boiler put in. Can you just disconnect the water side of it and still use the cooker or do we have to do something else to it in order to just use...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock