Search the forum,

Discuss CWSC Regulations for Free Area Around Cistern? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

wild nomad

Hi There,

I may be installing a CWSC in a loft space soon. There is already a good support base in place but when the new rectangular tank goes on, the gap between the tank and the edge of the support will only be about 20mm on each of the two long ends. Plenty of space around the short ends.

I know it is recommended to leave 150mm but can't find anything about it in WRAS or Building Regs. Does anyone know if this distance (150mm) is just a recommendation or is it actually regulation?

Thanks in advance :)

WRAS guidelines state that the cistern should be adequately supported. If you are happy that the 20mm is adequate and you are happy to stand up in court should there be an accident and explain how you came to the conclusion that 20mm was adequate when the recommendation is for 150 then go ahead. Bear in mind that the 150mm recommendation has been introduced following 2 deaths from scalding when an inadequately supported cistern was subject to boiling water from a failed immersion heater causing the cistern to collapse and dump the water through the ceiling below.

in my city an guilds textbook it states, the base should be at least 21mm thick and for cwsc less tha 1000L 150mm larger all the way round with 350mm clearance from the top

''WRAS guidelines state that the cistern should be adequately supported. If you are happy that the 20mm is adequate and you are happy to stand up in court should there be an accident and explain how you came to the conclusion that 20mm was adequate when the recommendation is for 150 then go ahead. Bear in mind that the 150mm recommendation has been introduced following 2 deaths from scalding when an inadequately supported cistern was subject to boiling water from a failed immersion heater causing the cistern to collapse and dump the water through the ceiling below.Yes, well the plan was to make a rim about 1 inch high all around the base for the cistern to sit in so it doesn't move anywhere. It's that or extend the base by about 300 mm in one direction.''

Yes well, the idea was to put a rim about 1 inch high all around the support base for the cistern to sit in or extend it by 300 mm in one direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same as Highway Code, it isn't law but you will have a job on your hands trying to convince a court that your deviation was safe (you are in court after all, so that kinda answers the question of you being right or wrong doesn't it)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to CWSC Regulations for Free Area Around Cistern? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock