Discuss customer wants reciepts to claim vat back in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like they want it both ways. The VAT obviously and then the downstream hassle for you if the bits don't work. We are VAT registered so don't care either way but at least you have a get out when the bathstore ( or similar feel free to fill in ) c**p has an issue.

Why don't you give them an invoice for labour and materials. He would then use that to claim anything back?

The only way they can claim back the vat, is if the invoices were invoiced to them, in their business name. Yours are no use to them.

The only way they can claim back the vat, is if the invoices were invoiced to them, in their business name. Yours are no use to them.

This is true. However, if the OP paid cash, and the VAT invoice was issued without a name on, then the customer might get away with it. But it still wouldn't make it legal, and thats just another fraction of a penny tax each that the rest of us have to pay.

Told them cant give them our invoices as we need them and they wouldn't be able to claim vat back from our receipts.
They have asked us to invoice for the materials separately as they can claim from that???
Not vat registered and my fn accountant now seems deaf n invisible to my questions about this grrr

Tell them you will ask the vat mans thoughts on this directly, mentioning names. They might not be so keen then.

Told them cant give them our invoices as we need them and they wouldn't be able to claim vat back from our receipts.
They have asked us to invoice for the materials separately as they can claim from that???
Not vat registered and my fn accountant now seems deaf n invisible to my questions about this grrr
Waste of time. They can't claim the vat content of your invoice.

if they are stopping you tax from the money then it benifits you to split the bill up as you dont pay tax on materials. If they are claiming it as a taxable expense they will still get at least 20%back on the whole bill rather than just the labour part and the vat back so there isnt much in it for them either way Imight be wrong but if they pay tax at more than 20% they will be better of if its a limited company then its all different

sounds like you need a new accountant???

Invoice them separately for the labour and materials and then go your separate ways

But I must emphasis that all plumbers should add 15-25% onto materials. That's why trade accounts give you discounts (amongst other reasons)

You get a better price than Joe public and as you supplied it you get the hassle if something goes wrong, especially when the symptoms of the issue could be installation or faulty product, still costs an hour or two

Last edited:
It also sounds like this company/custard has no idea what they can/can't claim back!

I wouldn't be wasting my time going back & forth with them.

Tell them straight, they've got your invoice, you want paying.

amazing how all the big stuff we price for for them...they can supposedly get cheaper.
£16k worth of cast rads.....they can get for 3.5k cheaper ...grr

amazing how all the big stuff we price for for them...they can supposedly get cheaper.
£16k worth of cast rads.....they can get for 3.5k cheaper ...grr

That's probably because they are getting the VAT back on theirs which off 16k of rads would be around 3 grand.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to customer wants reciepts to claim vat back in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock