Search the forum,

Discuss Customer supplying goods in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

magicno1

Gas Engineer
Had a real crappy day today. One customer asking about supplying his own boiler etc just one after another at the mo!
how do you all deal with this scenario regards them supplying etc?
would be good to get a few opinions together!
cheers

chris

Definite no no for me as you end up with bits missing which they don't want to pay you extra for standing about for or they want you to tell them exactly what they need to buy- for nowt of course or their boiler has a fault which they expect you to sort - for nowt again.

Work it to your favour. Apply idiot tax.

Make sure you agree exactly what you will be supplying and charge accordingly.

Don't turn the clock off when he has to go and get something he's forgotten.

Depends on how you are for work, avoid it if you can.

Let them supply it , warn them your price goes up if anything is wrong , missing , damaged etc
Just put your labour up to compensate .
I find this is happening all the time these days , the reason ... THE INTERNET

Let them supply it , warn them your price goes up if anything is wrong , missing , damaged etc
Just put your labour up to compensate .
I find this is happening all the time these days , the reason ... THE INTERNET

I am happy to install a customers own goods that they have supposedly got a bargain buying on the net with. They know my hourly rate before I start any work and I make it perfectly clear that the clock is ticking even if things are missing or defective and they need to go and get more materials. It usually turns out to be more expensive for them in the end and they regret it afterwards, but hey I get payed and you can't educate corned beef can you! Oh and I don't guarantee their gear neither.

Last edited:
If I have supplied and fitted a boiler, and there is any issue I will go back to the customer and see what it is and try to resolve. I will contact manufacturer or supplier and arrange repair or replacement even meet engineers on site.

If they have supplied it and I have just installed I would go to site but it would be chargeable, even if it was just to tell them they need to phone manufacturers.

If I have supplied and fitted a boiler, and there is any issue I will go back to the customer and see what it is and try to resolve. I will contact manufacturer or supplier and arrange repair or replacement even meet engineers on site.

If they have supplied it and I have just installed I would go to site but it would be chargeable, even if it was just to tell them they need to phone manufacturers.

I avoid it if I can help it, and recently the workload has been good. I have found out these customers in the past would argue about everything, and god forbid if anything goes wrong with their stuff and incurs extras. They are slating you left, right and centre saying you put up price mid job.

Agree with the sentiments of just fitting and charging if anything of theirs is wrong but as to getting paid it never happens and you end up getting slagged off as said for extra charges if you try. You don't get people saying to a builder I'll buy all the materials and you just turn up to do the work- and it only happens because we as gas engineers collectively allow it to happen

One cust last week argued the cost of a new pcb for an ideal icos- so he bought a recon on flea Bay!!! Then fitted it himself!!!!! Then had the balls to ring me saying he's got explosive ignition so I told him ÂŁ100 call out and probably a new fan or electrodes and ain't heard nothing more!
Unbelievable!
I'm ok for work load always am fortunately but as you say it's getting a lot worse

One cust last week argued the cost of a new pcb for an ideal icos- so he bought a recon on flea Bay!!! Then fitted it himself!!!!! Then had the balls to ring me saying he's got explosive ignition so I told him ÂŁ100 call out and probably a new fan or electrodes and ain't heard nothing more!
Unbelievable!
I'm ok for work load always am fortunately but as you say it's getting a lot worse

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Customer supplying goods in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Article
A Plumber Who Worked Illegally Gets A Suspended Sentence After Falsely Claiming To Be Gas Safe Registered. A Plumber in Herefordshire was prosecuted after Hereford Trading Standards Team found that he was falsely claiming to be on the Gas Safe Register when he was not, putting members of the...
Replies
Views
  • Question
Ideal Logic 24, Previous problem was that the hot water was only cold or barely warm if the heating was in use. If heating was off and boiler cold then would get hot water most of the time. Changing the flow cartridge about 2 years ago (when I moved in) solved this problem enough to suffer it as...
Replies
Views
B
    • Friendly
Hi, I've followed this excellent forum for several years but have never posted, so decided I'd better give some details. My status is the upper end of DIY and I've a couple of house renovations under my belt (my own homes) I am retired but do volunteer handyman jobs for the elderly. Not...
Replies
Views
We are from Alberta, and I own an electrical company. I have been asked by a BC Mechanical P. Eng. to install an emergency STOP button at the man-door to the boiler room. It's intent is to 'halt' the operation of the boilers in the room should there be an emergency. He is demanding that I do...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I'm installing a concrete patio out back. By the wall under the kitchen sink I have an existing P-Trap gully for the grey water from the sink, dishwasher, washing machine etc. When I pour the concrete there won't be any chance to dig it up anymore. From my own research I get the...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock