Discuss Credit Card Customers, Is It Worth It? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

village idiot

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
In this month of October, I have lost THREE boiler replacement jobs simply because customers say they can't afford to pay cash but are willing to pay me by Credit Card. (Yesterday I lost another one in Bromly). I have never been tempted to accept credit card payments, but am beginning to wonder if taking credit card payments is the way forward?

You have to move with the times and most people can't afford big purchaces without some kind of credit.
I bought one of those payleven things from screwfix for about £50 but there are a couple of others out there. It bluetooths to your phone and is easy to use Does the job and the money is in your bank a couple of days later. Takes a few days to set up as they have to run a couple of checks and send you a nominal amount and you tell them how much it was etc.
The charges vary from 2.75% to 1.5% depending on how much you put through it in a month. I add on 2.5% if they pay by card and just explain it like if they book a holiday on the internet the card charges are added. Nobody has moaned about it.

Thanks Tamz, but I'm not so sure I want to go down the CC route while I'm still a 1-man band outfit. I think hammers reasoning are the way I see it for the moment. For now, I will let the CC jobs slip through my fingers.

When given the 3 options I reckon it`s around ......

10% pay cash
15% pay with cheque
75% pay with card
Bills are between £100 to £750.

Thanks Tamz, but I'm not so sure I want to go down the CC route while I'm still a 1-man band outfit. I think hammers reasoning are the way I see it for the moment. For now, I will let the CC jobs slip through my fingers.
I use worldpay zinc. Very similar to payleven and i zettle.

There are no standing charges and it is easy to set up. They merely take a commision per sale of 2.75% (last time I checked).
The customer pays that as i add it on.
Never had any drama and other than keeping the batteries topped up works as it should

Its good to put things through the books now and again ;)

Well, 90% of my receipts from customers are direct bank transfers (method I recomend and encourage them to use) with all materials being paid in advance of work being done except for small jobs. I even ask CP12 payments to be transfered directly to my bank account.
5-7% pay by cheque and only a small minority pay by cash. I will always ask that a bank transfer is made as it shows an ''audit trail''. Failing that I will take cheque. I only accept cash as a last resort. I will not refuse to accept payment if customer says all they have is cash.
Where labour is over £500, I request payment in stages

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Credit Card Customers, Is It Worth It? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi guys. I'm trying to identify a toilet model before ordering a seat for a customer. I went to what used to be a Roca stockist (they no longer...
Replies
Views
Every two weeks or so I have to go and top up the system because the hot taps are running cold. Boiler display is flashing 0.6 bar and I fill up...
Replies
Views
PSxxxxxx
P
Hello, I am seeking some advice, I have a POTTERTON PROMAX 28 COMBI Boiler and I noticed yesterday that the water around the house is no longer...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason...
Replies
Views
Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock