Search the forum,

Discuss connecting platsic wast to lead in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

world9563

hi guys

Looking for some advice as not seen it before but the main wast stake to the house is internal and made of lead someone as fitted plastic wast pipe from bath to main wast stack (lead) and only used silcone and its still leaking i was thinking use epoxy putty but looking for advice of best way to fit.

kind regards

mitch

do you mean the main waste stack 110mm to the 40mm bath waste?

yes its from bath to the main stack but its lead and the main stack has a pipe coming off it for the bath waste but it lead. Someone else has done the job not me but its connected with cyl and the 40mm pipe fit in the lead pipe which is just a bit bigger.

mitch

Can you manage to get a strap on bossed connector and take a 40mm flexi compression from it?

i would use some of the ct1 silicone, it would stop the leak.

however if you want to do the job properly, replace the stack!!

shaun

hi guys

Thanks for your responses but the stack is internal inside the house all boxed in and cannot put a connection on as its already there coming off the lead stack and thats the problem its also lead. looks like it was manufactured that way. Another plumber who install bathroom suit had put cylicone round it but its still leaking. dont think thats worked as he as put plenty on.

mitch

Not quite shure what the situation is but if you are trying to connect two sizes of
waste pipe, it matters not what material, just use a rubber Fernco,

If you have to make a connection to the lead stack there are several choices,

Wipe in a piece of copper and connect new waste to it.

I would hesitate in using a strap boss but I would consider using a two piece boss,

I would consider cutting a section of stack out and replacing it with plastic again using Fernco connectors,

But I have to agree with Migo you would generate the most money and probably
end up with a better job if you replaced the stack.

cut 40mm pipe back clean with shave hook insde and out,smear cleaned surfaces with tallow open end of lead pipe with bentbolt or turnpin ,clean and tin with solder a peise of 42mm copper pipe,push copper pipe into lead pipe,heat pipe and bar of plumbers metal ,push softened plumbers metal into joint between lead and copper using mole skin wiping pad smooth to a neat workman like seal between lead and copper, fit platic to copper fitting on copper pipe when cool

cut 40mm pipe back clean with shave hook insde and out,smear cleaned surfaces with tallow open end of lead pipe with bentbolt or turnpin ,clean and tin with solder a peise of 42mm copper pipe,push copper pipe into lead pipe,heat pipe and bar of plumbers metal ,push softened plumbers metal into joint between lead and copper using mole skin wiping pad smooth to a neat workman like seal between lead and copper, fit platic to copper fitting on copper pipe when cool
i wonder how many plumbers can still do this though;):D

Wish i could charge and change complete stack but they are realy tight with the money and would not go for it. will have to see if they are going to go to the cost of the copper pipe then joing to the lead and then plastic but dont think they go for that so think im going to give job a miss as they not geting me to try other and then keep calling as its leaking still and make things worse they only round corner so no i would get grief lol. Thanks for your advice guy im realy greatfull

kind regards
mitch

My son Ian who is 41 years old wiped his first joint when he was 7,
I used to give him a blowlamp and a stick of metal to play with,
Over the next 12 years we also gave him 19 motorbikes (mostly brand new)
He retired from MX at 18 only to restart again recently, but not MX...Trials this time.
Any other plumbers on the forum into offroad sport?

not from se20 originly se9 but dover now and yes i can still do this.bit of a dinosuar realy.

My son Ian who is 41 years old wiped his first joint when he was 7,
I used to give him a blowlamp and a stick of metal to play with,
Over the next 12 years we also gave him 19 motorbikes (mostly brand new)
He retired from MX at 18 only to restart again recently, but not MX...Trials this time.

Hi Bobpape
I did MX for quite a few years schoolboys(BSMA) and adults (AMCA)
Spent a fortune on it but don't ever regret it.I consider myself quite lucky as in 13 years I only broke my collarbone

Cheers

hi guys

Looking for some advice as not seen it before but the main wast stake to the house is internal and made of lead someone as fitted plastic wast pipe from bath to main wast stack (lead) and only used silcone and its still leaking i was thinking use epoxy putty but looking for advice of best way to fit.

kind regards

mitch
quite often you can use a multifit coupling shave the lead to fit might have to use 2 inch coupling and reduce it

I made love to one of my girl friends in the Bushes once when I was younger,does that count :D

My son started with carting for a while but then moved on to horses,cross country events,cost a furtune,trust him to pick a sport with no money in it

I have not touched lead for years now,served my time as an industrial plumber worked alot with lead,used to get paid by others a college to wipe jonts and lead burn for them,not that I approve that of course ,see we had a new member the other day who works with lead,I must say I miss it really,sometimes we would get old lead hoppers ect to repair
once we got a lead lined coffin to seal with someone inside,I went to the funeral parlour with the tradesman doing the job,he lead burned all around but the last bit kept popping,must have been due to the gases from the body,anyway he just tapped it around to seal last bit :)

hi guys

With regards to connecting plastic to lead well i have been pestered for days and days one phone call at 1145pm to do the work. I stated what was needed and the extra cost and they still wanted cheap job. Ive ended up doing it on the cheap for them. I put cylicon around and then used the epoxy putty and it has done the job. I also got a agreement typed up that the job may not work etc and they was insisting on the cheap basicaly and that the job has not being done as i was advised to do by others and that they take full responsibility for the work. do you think i have covered myself just wanted to keep away from them told them they get what they pay for and they should have used a proper plumber in first place and dont ever call me again.

kind regards

agrement from client will not release you from duty of care if you no its wrong you are still liable

,see we had a new member the other day who works with lead,I must say I miss it really,sometimes we would get old lead hoppers ect to repair
once we got a lead lined coffin to seal with someone inside,I went to the funeral parlour with the tradesman doing the job,he lead burned all around but the last bit kept popping,must have been due to the gases from the body,anyway he just tapped it around to seal last bit :)
me:D
i was offered a job the same as that over here years ago but turned it down,wish i had done it now:(
gas escape whilst lead welding is easy when you know how,leave small holes between the main weld runs,turn up the torch and dab around the edges till it ponds/seals then weld over the top:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to connecting platsic wast to lead in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock