Discuss Combi conversion from vented gravity system - wall of text and questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Certainly welcome to come and have a look and quote :) As I said before, you'll have to be able to accept a card in some way though otherwise we can't pay!

I'll drop you a PM.

If I am grasping some basics right, radiator outputs vary depending on the temperature difference between the water in the rad and the air in the room. The higher the difference the higher the heat output of the rad.

So, for example (using the info in this pdf) a Stelrad Softline 600x800 K2 with a 50c delta will output 1386w. At 40c delta it will be 1037w and at 30c it will be 714w.

So, if you planned on running with a 80c flow and 69c return, and the room was say 20c, that radiator would be putting out a fair deal of heat. However with a condensing boiler you want a return of 55c or lower, assuming the same 20c room temp then that same rad is now only shifting 860w ish.

So, if the room in question lost 1000w your choices for that particular radiator would be to a) run at a 40ish delta or b) increase size of rad to that the delta can be kept lower but still heat the room.

Did I get that right?

If so, does that mean on a condensing boiler the way to keep it most efficient is to have rads sized to run at say 35C delta rather than 50?

Correct and it is this principle that weather comp works on, when cold and more heat is requires the flow temp increases to match this increase in load.

Another one.

For the condensate pipe I understand connecting to internal waste is preferred to prevent freezing.

Does condensate pipe have to be rigid or is there some kind of flexible alternative like a washing machine waste?

Also does the run from boiler to waste have to be continual drop? It couldn't run along the floor and up to said waste?

Just looking at where this is going to go and where the existing cupboards are. Even pulled the sink cupboard out to get a better look!

some boilers it comes out in flexible tubing but i would check with the manufactures on that one, if you pipe out side i normally upgrade the pipe to 32mm to help prevent freezing

you can set your hot water to whatever temp the boiler allows as it is instantaneous
and there is no risk of legionellae

That is so wrong, there is legionella risk with water that is not heated above 50 degrees. There is less risk from water that is not stored at less than 50 but on long pipe runs there will be water laying at an ideal breeding temperature for bacteria. A higher temperature will sterilise the pipe each time it is used.

Ok maybe that's not 100% accurate but at 50 they can survive but do not multiply 66 degrees it takes 2 min to kill legionella. i suppose saying no risk was wrong but i would not be concerned about it with a combi

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Combi conversion from vented gravity system - wall of text and questions in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

• Question
Central Heating Pump - G Pump Force HE-RS25/6PWM-130 Hi, I would be grateful if someone could explain whether our CH system can cope with the...
Replies
Views
Hello, I live in a two floor semi with a gravity fed conventional gas fired boiler (Potterton Kingfisher MF). The boiler is fed cold water from...
Replies
Views
Home owner looking for some advice pls. We have a megaflow system which we are considering removing as the tank takes up a lot of space and we...
Replies
Views
Hi thank you for letting me join this forum . We have an air to water heat pump but the bungalow is piped in micro bore 10mm pipe which doesn’t...
Replies
Views
S
Hi, I'm after some advice for a current system which I'm looking to replumb. Our house has had various extensions of heating system with newbuild...
Replies
Views
Sandy Rivers
S

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock