Search the forum,

Discuss Cold water tap won't drain after mains turned off..??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rhinatron

Hi all,

Just moved into a new house with a leaky tap, and want to change the washer over. Easy, right?

Turned the mains off, but the cold (leaky) tap in downstairs loo won't stop running. All other taps (kitchen, bathroom etc. hold AND cold) went off. I left it running for maybe 15 minutes, and the pressure definitely dropped but there was still a decent stream.

It's a combi boiler and as far as i'm aware, there's no tank/cisten anyway (as there's no space for one!). We have a converted attic so no tank there, and the loo is under the stairs so no tank there?!

There must be a seperate feed from somewhere, but why then was this tap's pressure affected by the mains being turned off??? Any thoughts?

Try open all upstairs taps and see if it drains out. Sometimes it gets an air lock in pipes above so won't drain down. Imagine holding your finger over a length of pipe full of water and then release to let air in. Could be wrong but wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

Cheers Sparky, I opened all taps upstairs to check if they'd run dry and they had... !? Any other thoughts!??

Maybe close all but one tap upstairs open the tap that's running so only the 2 taps open and if you can try and blow a little through upstairs tap and see what happens downstair. All pipes should be joined if its on combi. Other than that it could be the main stopcock not being off fully or its knackered. Close taps and just try turning it on and off a few times maybe it's just a bit stiff and not closing fully.

Stop tap not turning off fully. Try one in the street or tweak stop tap with a spanner, carefully.

How old is the House?
It could have had an outside toilet with a branch off the feed into the house before the stopcock.

It may be a case of turn off in the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold water tap won't drain after mains turned off..??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock