Search the forum,

Discuss Cold water tap won't drain after mains turned off..??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

rhinatron

Hi all,

Just moved into a new house with a leaky tap, and want to change the washer over. Easy, right?

Turned the mains off, but the cold (leaky) tap in downstairs loo won't stop running. All other taps (kitchen, bathroom etc. hold AND cold) went off. I left it running for maybe 15 minutes, and the pressure definitely dropped but there was still a decent stream.

It's a combi boiler and as far as i'm aware, there's no tank/cisten anyway (as there's no space for one!). We have a converted attic so no tank there, and the loo is under the stairs so no tank there?!

There must be a seperate feed from somewhere, but why then was this tap's pressure affected by the mains being turned off??? Any thoughts?

Try open all upstairs taps and see if it drains out. Sometimes it gets an air lock in pipes above so won't drain down. Imagine holding your finger over a length of pipe full of water and then release to let air in. Could be wrong but wouldn't hurt to give it a try.

Cheers Sparky, I opened all taps upstairs to check if they'd run dry and they had... !? Any other thoughts!??

Maybe close all but one tap upstairs open the tap that's running so only the 2 taps open and if you can try and blow a little through upstairs tap and see what happens downstair. All pipes should be joined if its on combi. Other than that it could be the main stopcock not being off fully or its knackered. Close taps and just try turning it on and off a few times maybe it's just a bit stiff and not closing fully.

Stop tap not turning off fully. Try one in the street or tweak stop tap with a spanner, carefully.

How old is the House?
It could have had an outside toilet with a branch off the feed into the house before the stopcock.

It may be a case of turn off in the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold water tap won't drain after mains turned off..??? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

I live in an apartment block where generally hot water is supplied from the communal hot water cylinder and cold water to bathrooms is supplied from cold water tanks in the loft. It is a vented system. However, in a basement flat and a ground floor flat cold water supply to bathrooms is...
Replies
Views
M
Hi, I woke up this morning with cold water (mains) from downstairs tap but no hot water from downstairs tap, and no water at all from all the upstairs taps, I have a combi boiler and no water storage
Replies
Views
Mike Young
M
Hi everyone, I turned my cold water feed off in the airing cupboard which supplies only cold water to my bathroom but it also turned the water to my toilet off is that a correct set up? Because it didn't used to before the stop valve in airing cupboard only turned off the cold water supply to...
Replies
Views
Hi I've recently had a new bathroom installed. I've noticed when I flush the downstairs loo there was a hammer type noise under the bathroom floor when the cold feed for the loo turned off/ same with the washing machine. So I turned off the mains water supply. Opened the highest tap first...
Replies
Views
Can anyone help me with an ongoing issue I've had since I had an annual service on my combi boiler, which is a Potterton Performa 24. Literally after they left I started experiencing yellow water (pale) from all my taps - hot and cold, including the toilet. This was intermittent and then...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock