Discuss Cold water tank used as F&E tank. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was doing a job yesterday and happened to notice that the cold water storage tank was also used as the F&E tank. The cold fill had been connected about halfway up the tank and the vent over the top as normal but the top of this and the top of the hot water vent only went about 150mm above the cold water storage tank before bending back down. I would not thought this was legal as contaminated water from the central heating system would get drawn in to the cold water tank, although not drinking water it is still classified as potable water.

I've had this before. Possibly done when someone has ripped out a primatic or a DIYer looking to save money. If it's not a primatic this needs correcting and the cold water storage cistern needs disinfecting.

I have not had a lot of experience with primatic cylinders but from what I know they do not have a cold fill and vent as this is done in the cylinder. As Mike said it may have had a primatic before and when it was changed they just connected the cold feed and vent to the cold water storage tank. The hot water cylinder is in a cupboard in a bedroom with the cold water tank above so no space beside it to fit an F&E tank. This is a rented property and the whole system has been done on the cheap, there are no central heating controls, hot water and central heating are off or on. I think in the summer they have to use the immersion heater as there is no way to turn off the central heating.
I will recommend that it is changed but as I say being a rental property then it may get ignored.

If you aren't sure if its primatic simply visit when rads are cold and hot water is hot drain off from a rad if hot water comes from your hose you got yourself a primatic

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cold water tank used as F&E tank. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello, I have just installed a vented McDonald 250L thermal store, it is for multi fuel but currently just connected to a standard oil boiler in...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Got a nightmare situation with a central heating system I recently adopted. It's an open vent system with a combined F&E pipe, with a...
Replies
Views
Hi, I wonder if you could help me. The overflow pipe drips intermittently from the large cold water storage tank in the loft. Not the small F and...
Replies
Views
I have been facing central heating low pressure on unvented hot water RM Cylinders but can't see any leak on the PRV, expansion vessels and...
Replies
Views
losing pressure
L
I had my indirect hot water cylinder removed a few days ago and the central heating boiler and pump is turned off at the fuse spur right next to...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock