Search the forum,

Discuss Circulating chemical flush additive without heating on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Potterton Profile boiler will soon be 20 years old and for some years British Gas has been shaking its head about spare parts being available, though at the last service the engineer did admit to carrying the most needed on his van. (I've just Googled "Potterton Profile spares" and it would seem that there are still a lot readily available.)

So I'm thinking about having a new boiler fitted next Spring or next autumn (that's in 2017).

Because the 1970s pipework is "delicate", I'm a bit neurotic about having a power flush and gather that I can probably get away with a chemical one. It seems that the additive needs to be in the system for a couple of weeks and presumably needs to be circulated, at least for a short time, during that period?

Except in the depth of winters, I don't need much central heating on and wouldn't really want to run it much just to circulate the additive.

That reliable source, "a friend", reckons I could just operate the pump which presumably means turning off one or two of three switches.

Before I start experimenting with which ones, I would welcome your professional views to raise my awareness from not very much at all. And if you're in the Reading area you may be able to cultivate me as a potential customer - next year.

Moonraker

Just checking as from time to time people from USA do drop in.

There are many opinions on this and you really need a pro to take a look at the system and ascertain how dirty it is and what your requirements are. Many engineers will say that circulating The chemicals while the system is hot will improve the clean, some will some won't.

You would also be advised to get your pipework. I am assuming that you will be replacing your boiler with another open vented option so not a combi?

Yes, I would go for another open-vented option. I'm all too aware of "many opinions", and it can be very confusing to sort out what is best. At least I'm leaving myself plenty of time. I shall probably start approaching local companies (in the Reading UK area!) in the New Year.

I did my own chemical flush a couple of years back and flushed out a lot of dirty water, but I expect that there's still a lot of muck in the system.

ok good luck then. If it's filthy you may have to examine all options including a re-pipe

Or even think about changing some of the rads if there old

If you are looking to change it next year, why not get a magnetic filter fitted to the system prior to winter at the same time put a cleaner in then flush out and inhibit after a week or so then you can gradually take out the crud over a long period.

Also talk to a couple of local engineers. Explain your circumstances and how you want to approach the job and engage with them you will find you will get a better job done in the end. I don't mean it in a negative way but you do sound rather on the defensive before you've even contemplated getting the job done you need to be prepared to take on board the advice of the people doing the job which is why I would recommend strongly getting at least three Quotes

Last edited:
We are based near Reading and are happy to give you advice.

Iv sent you a private message as I'm not sure about the rules of advertising your business on open forum.

Thanks for all your comments to date. Riley may well have a point about my appearing defensive. I admit to being neurotic about the original plumbing in my house, having had several issues with it and comments from plumbers about the poor workmanship. And I'm sorting through all sorts of advice (some conflicting) about the best way ahead. I quite like Stoney Ground's idea of fitting a magnetic filter and shall look in to this (though an initial search suggests differing opinions).

I also admit to having asked a comparable question here back in June, following a specific emergency though this time around I'm getting some extra information.

So far, no one seems able to endorse the friend's "advice" of merely running the pump (see my opening post).

Thanks for your patience and advice so far. I'm making some progress.

Moonraker

Personally speaking if I were doing a full power flush I would like heat in the system just running the pump will not give you this. If you are looking for guarantees and that sort of thing it might be best to enlist a Power flushing company. They will do this day in day out and will also come across all sorts of standards of plumbing workmanship. What I will reiterate is though get some quotes and as I told a customer the other day at some point you will have to trust somebody otherwise its never going to work and you and the contractor will fall out I guarantee it

Last edited:
Essential new boiler installed on clean system. As you are reluctant to power flush use time available for chemical flush, install magnetic filter and y filter to return pipework, if not already on system. Absence of particles on filter and magnet will at lest confirm system clean. Sentinel X800 is my cleaner of choice and I have left it in systems in excess of 20 days with
no problems. Flush out existing with clean water first and add chemicals as system is refilling.
With heating on, chemical reaction will be better and by ensuring all rads are hot you will confirm circulation throughout your system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Circulating chemical flush additive without heating on in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello all, I’m replacing a concrete paving slab patio in the back yard. The original patio used 50mm deep concrete slabs on hardcore & sand. I’m planning to pour a 100mm deep concrete patio on 100mm hardcore. In order to achieve the same final height to line up with the rest of the patio, I...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
We run a community village hall and have a large kitchen provided for the use of hirers. This includes a Lincat SLR9 gas cooker which I believe is a 23.8Kw appliance with all six burners and oven on max. This was installed some 10 years ago and has passed all subsequent Gas Safety inspections as...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock