Currently reading:
Chris F's being taken for a mug thread.

Discuss Chris F's being taken for a mug thread. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris F

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
@croppie to top it all I was working for another firm on a schedule of rates. They wanted me to fit a pump for the following prices :) this is supply and fit.
uty2ana4.jpg

Last edited:
Re: good price for that job?

Funny you say about them sleeping in Chris, was talking to a plumber mate this morning who arranged a 9am visit for today last night yet when he got there she was still in bed. "Sorry I forgot" she said to him when she eventually opened the door. He wasn`t a happy bunny!

Yeah I've been in a few of the female hostels and found them a strange place to work, at least you are guaranteed something.

Very strange mate. A lot of the women in this one are just trying to jump the council list. They are forever being caught meeting or phoning the dudes they have apparently fled from.

thoses prices are shocking. nhmf rates are what most HA and council QS's have to adhere to. You have to wonder at what point does safety go out the window, id say about 100% ago.

Chris F, you're now my favourite person on this forum because I have to read every post you write in the voice of your avatar.

IS THERE A "OTHER" COLUMN?
is there extra for pipework change???
I think thats where you make the money!!!

IS THERE A "OTHER" COLUMN?
is there extra for pipework change???
I think thats where you make the money!!!

No mate, they cover all the holes . The book is 500 pages. The boiler installs even cover exterior brickwork, interior plastering and decoration.

No mate, they cover all the holes . The book is 500 pages. The boiler installs even cover exterior brickwork, interior plastering and decoration.
How about if you change 2-3 things at once?? could you make money that way?? pump has gone, needs new valves and 3 way valve has gone oh and thermostat!!!

No mate cause if you check the prices they barely if at all cover the costs of the materials. So I would just be getting stuffed repeatedly. Those prices are not labour mate, they are supply and fit.

B and q offered me pricework, basically you go and work out price from sheet. but there was "other" codes at £10 a go. so for instance for a power flush you would put 35 x other at £10 each.

All materials bought from b and q were severely reduced (apparently)

Only catch was that I needed a sparky to sign off anything I plugged a plug into/ any electrical work. so needed their registration details and they would need crb check!!!

finding a sparky is hard enough, let alone a good one, that is available whenever you want them as well as willing to give reg details and get crb checked!!!!

Yeah my mate does a bit for bandq and wickes kitchen fitting. He said its a nightmare.

Who would actually do this work. How are you supposed to make money. Seriously how is it done? If no one worked for these prices they would have to put them up

Who would actually do this work. How are you supposed to make money. Seriously how is it done? If no one worked for these prices they would have to put them up

I think, from how it was explained is based on fraud. You go out to change a syphon and "noticed that the taps are loose, or toilet pan needs refixing . These are then added to your job. But the problem is you need photographic evidence via your pda, so you would have to start dismantling the bathroom, take a pic then put it back together again. This is then paid at the discretion of the surveyor for the HA and most times they don't pay the extras. Or they will pay one extra. And argue that "if the Tennant phoned to report a non flushing toilet why didn't they report the loose pan and loose taps??
It's a load of cack and only works if you are direct. If you are a subby there is no way on earth you can make it pay.

This was my argument. The company I subbed too have a different schedule of rates. So where I get 79 they will book it out at 190 , I get 290 for a bath they get 600 so it's only the subbys that suffer. While the main contractor can rake it in.

Some of the gas call outs were shocking, called out to a smell of gas 9 quid. Bearing in mind this job can be up to 40 miles away and you go on the hope you can "make up" some work that may or not be paid.

When I took the job they showed me other lads invoices for 2 grand a week. Turns out he had 3 lads working for him and they were doing voids on the same street. So it was all a bit misleading, where I was meant to be responsive maintenance.

At those prices, I am not schocked, I am CONFUSED. And to think you may have to do a 40 mile trip??? I personally only work within a 10 mile radius of Croydon, Surrey. I only venture further if I am recommended. And I attend at a price. For instance, last week I was in Westerham (13 miles)

If you are a big employer with loads of staff that need paying and not enough work, then it will be the perfect opportunity to keep them busy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Chris F's being taken for a mug thread. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock