Discuss Cheap cooker fitting jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

It's not just plumbing and gas work though. You say they will pay hundreds for solicitors but people would still phone around and get the cheapest. It's just the way it is, thing to do is give them your price if they query it then dont worry just move on to the next customer.

We live in an age where large companies RIP off loyalty so people have no loyalty anymore. Unfortunately it's just the way now nothings going to change that so dont lose sleep over it. If they pay someone £20 cash and then have pay hundreds further down the line then it's their own fault, just be nice and say sorry I cant help you then when you see their house is now a pile of rubble laugh and carry on.

£85+VAT if no parts are required.
In Buckinghamshire (close to London prices)
I guess I win about 70% of calls to connect a cooker.
People do sometimes get in a huff and say they "have to check with their partner".
Others are just happy a GS engineer has picked up the phone.....

Cooker jobs etc , give them a price !!
Its up to them.

Exactly.

Why does everyone take it so personally. I suspect these comments appear regularly on every different trade forum.

It is our job as business owners or self employed to maximise income and minimise expenditure.

But it as also the job of homeowners and family providers to maximise their income and minimise their expenditure.

Would you pay £600 a day for a decorator, or carpenter. ?

I assume you all pay Wolesley prices for everything, and do not demean yourself by negotiating terms? God forbid that you go to Screwfix.

Why would homeowners not be expected to ask about a price before committing. ?, and they are used to some providers offering "discounts". Give a price, stick to your guns. If you feel neccesary, explain your reasons for your charge being so much more than the other guy. Who knows, when something is explained properly, they may well see the point and engage you.

The point is that they are often actually telling you that they want you. You just now have to agree a price. Sometimes you lose, sometimes you win. But

Last edited:
I have a standard reply when I am asked if the quote can be made any cheaper:
"Yes! Would you like me to drop the quality of the materials or the standard of the workmanship?"
That has got me a few faces with mouths like a cuts butt hole...

I stick to my prices which are not excessive and as a result I don't get these cheap cooker jobs. It doesn't bother me too much as I wouldn't want these sort of customers in the first place. But it shows that they do end up getting the job done for the price they're after.

Yes, perhaps they need educating a bit. It's easy to see from their point of view that all you need to do is to connect that rubber hose and job done. Unless you're a GSR, how are you supposed to know what goes on? Then again, maybe they're not interested to know and just want to get the job done...

Don’t know how you can have a guide price as prices vary up and down the country but to have something to show a customer and say will your other fitter be doing this. This is why there is a cost and my trained skill required

Reply to Cheap cooker fitting jobs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Not sure what my options are here. Basically a friend of mine recommended his father in law to do our plumbing/gas work for our renovation. First...
Replies
Views
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2023/05/12/the-heat-pump-farce-has-finally-been-exposed/?li_source=LI&li_medium=liftigniter-rhr I realise not...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
So I've got a gas pipe in my kitchen, but due to a miscommunication on my part it's got the wrong fitting for the cooker I intend to buy. It's got...
Replies
Views
Hi all, We recently purchased a house and nothing seems to work correctly here, I've spent weeks rectifying issues. Plumbing, electrical...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock