Users can remove all display ads (not sponsors) for a small fee. Click for info (must be logged in)

Discuss Changing TRV's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JimmyPlumber77

Hi Guys
Bit new to all this but was hoping for a bit of help/advice please?
Whats the best procedure for changing TRVs like drain down, time & cost and do you use aids, like freezer packs or 'Aquavac' or similar?
Any help would be great :)

Depends on type of system but I usually perform a chemical flush while I'm at it and refill with inhibitor

Primarily pressurised systems, how long would it normally take? And is there much cost in doing so? Or is that relative to what procedure you take? Ta.

i would usually allow 20 minutes per radiator and some time for other activities, a 5 rad system won't take as long as a 13 rad system, so you work out how long it will take and x's that by your hourly rate.

If sealed system I usually just take the pressure off the system and replace each valve.
Turn off any auto vents.
Then the only water that you need to worry about is from rad tail - just stuff a rag into it.
I only ever had a couple of times this went bad. Once when an old diaphragm in a gas boiler failed and the other job was one of the valves at a gas boiler wall kit leaked and gas engineers had to fix

Last edited:
depends if the rads are fed from tails below the floor or drops from above..
without draining down you can get a fair bit of water coming out of a drop from above so I usually take no chances, drain down and have an aqua vac on hand when I do the changeover.
I usually have a waterproof mat or dust sheet down too

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Changing TRV's in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi folks, I have a combi boiler. The trv for one of the rads needs changing. Do i follow these steps: Shut boiler Make sure the lockshield side...
Replies
Views
Hi There was no shut off valve on the tank feed to the hot water cylinder, and I needed to move a couple of hot water pipes, so I shut off the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm hoping someone here may be able to help me out with an issue I have with my baxi duotec boiler. Basically, the hot water temperature has...
Replies
Views
Hoping somebody can help, So, in a nutshell… Standard 90s Westbury home – condensing boiler, pump, wall thermostat, etc etc... Normal, common or...
Replies
Views
I have a home with an oil boiler in a garage turned into a flat, heating both flat and main house, running c plan with two pumps, two motorised...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock