Discuss changing trvs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

novice1

Have had a leak from a valve causing big cost for carpets etc (only part covered by insurance). Plumber said replace all trvs as they are 15 years old. Quoted about £500 plus valves. Fairly modern 15m system.
Questions:
1 - Do the valves tend to fail together, i.e is it wise to replace the lot now as I have to drain the whole system down?
2 - what is the way to do it? Is it turn off the outlet to the tank in loft, turn off CH boiler, open valves on all radiators (and boiler?) and drain from bottom point, replace trvs from top down, add fernox or equiv to header tank and refill slowly checking for leaks from bottom up?
3 - Do I need to do anything with the boiler?
4 - Any other tips on trv choices etc?
Any help gratefully received

twelve valves means rather than mess around in future then change all at once as system will be drained anyway
boiler off or clock off isolate feed tank and drain then just replace each valve prob only days work though good trvs about 20quid less flash about 5-8 quid each

stick some inhibitor in your header tank too!!when filling back up. oh and check header tank for debris before draining/ filling or a blockage is imminent

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi, a lot of the cost will depend on whether any of the pipework will have to be modified. This can turn a relatively straight forward job into a longer one :)

No. it's very straightfoward, modern house with standard pipework and easily accessible trvs. I'm weighing up whether to do it myself or to use a plumber. second estimate next week will help me decide!

Even "standard" pipework, whatever that is, can be a problem if you have no movement on it, like when its buried tightly in the concrete floor. Having said that, £500 labour seems possibly a bit steep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to changing trvs in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

My 3 way actuator valve has gone on my central heating. I think it's a combination of the valve motor burning out due to a stiff valve on the...
Replies
Views
D
Hi all - hoping someone knowledgeable can help as I'm super confused by this.... I have a standard system / gravity fed boiler, large cold tank...
Replies
Views
Deleted member 120897
D
Hello I want to replace the old single panel rad in the bedroom with a K2 double panel Stelrad one. I think I'm OK in general and relatively...
Replies
Views
So I bought my first flat recently (am in UK) and in a bit of a pickle as the bathroom has turned up lots of problems that weren't picked up by...
Replies
Views
My kitchen radiator is filling with hot water despite my TRV being set to 0. It's blazing at maximum. This goes for the rad when I try two...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock