Search the forum,

Discuss Changing lockshield in bedroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

gavla

Hello everyone,
I have currently just passed my city & Guilds level 2, and already the family think i am a qualified plumber (not).
My Sisters Lockshield is in her bedroom and is leaking from the gland slightly.
I realise i will have to drain down the system, but i have been told dont fully drain down, just do the top level.
How will i know when the water has fully drained down from the rads upstairs, can you hear it or is it just a time thing?

Any answers would be great.
gavin

Shut the two valves going to the rad, drain down just that radiator, take rad off, and open the lockshield until water stops flowing out, fit new lockshield, reconnect rad and fill system back up, go and bleed all upstairs rads, job done.

Maybe I would isolate header tank and turn off power to heating system,open up heating motorised valve to manual,place hose pipe on drain off and open,when water stops through hose,open vent on radiator with valve requiring replacing,when water again stops through hose,close other valve on radiator and remove valve to be replaced and fit new,then open other valve,close drain cock remove hose and put straight in van otherwise I forget it,open supply to header and refill system as required,vent,place motorised valve to normal position,turn boiler thermostat down and run boiler for 5/10 mins,if near the next hr maybe 20mins while writing out invoice,turn up boiler thermostat ,get cheque made out or drive customer to cash point,make date with customers daughter for weekend,feel rads on way out and thats it really
jobs a good un

imho

Last edited by a moderator:
why not just freeze the pipe with the lockshield on it, having isolated the other end and drained the rad, saves lots of time and grief, and you learn to work under pressure, lol

Why not do it properly and repack the gland :confused:
That is one of the few useful things you have (or should have) done for level 2

Last edited:
as above just repack the gland,don't even need to drain down just close the lockshield and your away.this is basic level 2 stuff

cheers jimmy

Unless you are lucky and have a good quality valve,(very rear now and in which case it probably would not be leaking anyway),the days of repacking rad valves have long gone,even if you can,will start leaking again and then the customer will want discount for you to drain down and replace anyway,if it is leaking because used as room gets to hot,stick a thermostatic valve on there,in fact ,when you are doing the job,suggest putting on all

If they are teaching you to re pack rad valve on level 2,would not put in the useful column,unless doing as a temporary measure
imho

tbh i have repacked many glands(stop taps,lsv)never had a problem leaking again if you do it right.how often is it when turning off stop tap and then it starts leaking,customer only starts blaming you and wont pay to replace stop tap,so just repac the gland,which costs nothing and your away

Have you tried just nipping up the gland, I often just snatch rad valves live, it makes things more exciting.

Am not saying you can not stop rad valves leaking ,just if used will leak again

stop valves are different

I like the towel,valve off,thumb over,new valve on bit,makes me feel alive and in and out quick on a price

Am working on a bag you can put over valve, pressurise greater than the pressure of the water in the system so when you remove valve or fitting no water will come out and just swop over with replacement also placed in bag

look out for me on dragons den !!

now that would be a good bit of kit to have (the pressurised bag) when you get it to work let me know.

Cheers mate,
Ill take your advise, ill let you know how it goes!
gavla

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Changing lockshield in bedroom in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, I need to drain my vokera 29 boiler in the attic as Im going away for 4 weeks at least to make sure there are no frozen pipes. In my small 3rd floor flat, I have a radiator in the front room and one in the hall (very close to each other), there is a drainage valve on one of these. My back...
Replies
Views
Hi All, I have a leaking drain valve off the CW inlet on a Range Cylinder. Am I right in thinking I have to empty the Cylinder below the CW inlet to change the valve? To isolate cold water to the tank to prevent refill, should I just lock off the 1 stop CW inlet or all 3 red stops? Turn mains...
Replies
Views
newbie184
N
  • Question
Have a sytem boiler with unvented cylinder with 2 heating zones plus hot water in a house we moved into recently. To start with we were always amazed at the water pressure so on the odd occasion that the water was only luke warm it was easily forgiven, but over time we have come to realise that...
Replies
Views
Hello I want to replace the old single panel rad in the bedroom with a K2 double panel Stelrad one. I think I'm OK in general and relatively sensible (!) but I just want to check the steps involved to make sure I'm not missing anything before starting. System info- Steps (I think)- 1. Turn...
Replies
Views
A bit of history first. 2 yrs ago visited a grant boiler with boiler and pipework kettling. I added SentX200 noise reducer. It is standard open vented system S plan Also found there was no bypass and this was an external boiler with frost stat so boiler would start with no valves open...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock