Search the forum,

Discuss Changing 2 tap hole basin taps for single tap. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a customer who would like a single tap on their 2 tap basin, like the bath filer taps. However he centers are 200mm and I cannot find any single taps with 200mm centers. Anybody know of any? Another option is to blank off one hole and put a monoblock on the other, would a monoblock fit in a single tap hole?

Yes to the second question.

I have a customer who would like a single tap on their 2 tap basin, like the bath filer taps. However he centers are 200mm and I cannot find any single taps with 200mm centers. Anybody know of any? Another option is to blank off one hole and put a monoblock on the other, would a monoblock fit in a single tap hole?

change the basin, i can do anything. but miracles don't happen.

change the basin, i can do anything. but miracles don't happen.
I have just done that. It is flat above a restaurant, not an English restaurant. There are about 8 guys that live there and the owner just wanted to tart the bathroom up a little at minimum cost. It is a old building and the bathroom is probably 30 years old at least. It was a 2 tap hole basin and he was muttering about the taps and I just thought he meant they did not work properly,which they didn't. His English was okay but with a thick accent and he spoke very fast so I assumed he meant change like with like. The walls are crumbling plaster board mainly held together by the woodchip wallpaper that covers it. It was a nightmare to get a fixing and Mr Silicon helped to fix the basin so it is nice and secure. When he came back and saw it he said he wanted one tap but he was talking about a filler tap like a bath filler, I said I don't think they make them but he insists they are available. There reason is because the hot water is so hot that you cannot put our hand under it so he wanted a mixer. I said no great problem I can turn the water temperature down but he said that he wants the water hot for the kitchen downstairs which is on the same system. Last thing I want to do is take the basin off and change it again. The bathroom will have a shiny new basin and toilet but the bath and shower cubicle is still 30 years old, the floor and walls are all a mess so I think having a monoblock in one tap hole and a blank on the other will look fine.

One of those jobs you wish you'd never started.

oh well lesson learned,
its better than what there used to {a bucket}
why not get a blending valve.

I think a TMV would be the way to go, however I think it would cost more than fitting a cheap monoblock so I know which way the owner will go. Thanks guys for your help.

Im with Steve, never tried it as it sounds ludicrous but I reckon dual tap holes are smaller than single so no you wouldn't get a monobloc in

basin tap holes can vary a bit in diameter, but you'd be lucky to get a monobloc tap to fit through one of the holes.
if you really dont want to replace the basin again, blank off the 2 tap holes with ceramic blanks, then drill a new hole in the centre of the basin with the correct size porcelain drill. porcelain drills are not cheap though, but you should be able to use it again on another job. it wont look as good as a proper 1 hole basin, but it sounds like that wont matter to your customer.

I've been asked many times over the years,and have never found a monoblock to fit in , sorry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Changing 2 tap hole basin taps for single tap. in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hello plumbers in my internet. So the Mrs want a spray mixer tap in the kitchen as we had two separate taps. I changed the tap for a temporary two hole mixer but the cold water pressure is high mains fed and the hot is low pressure immersion tank fed. I've been trying to find info on what I...
Replies
Views
Hi bit of a weird issue, I installed a grohe bathroom tap successfully 2 months ago bought from screwfix. Last week the right hand hot tap makes a squeak noise as I turn it on or off, left tap is 100% perfect and noiseless. This grohe tap is like one unit, so no screw notch or way I can remove...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm would like to extend an existing outside tap to another point in the garden. I'm about to pour a concrete patio and was hoping to run the water line underneath. There are existing drain (and who knows what) pipes running along the same wall so I'm nervous about digging too far...
Replies
Views
Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock