Discuss Central Heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

alanthompson

I am planning to change my free standing gas boiler with a combi. boiler.
My central heating system has two circuits. A parallel system (conventional), down stairs, and a ring system upstairs where the radiators are connected to the same pipe with only the radiator width between the two connections. The system has worked well for 40 years but my plumber says the upstairs has as to be changed to aparallel system. Is he right. We don't really want all the floor boards lifted upstairs.
Thanks

I would imagine a 1 pipe system was a pretty rare bird these days. It would no doubt work but be very inefficient.

It basically means the whole upstairs circuit would act like a single radiator, which it does now.

So depending on how your pipework runs you could probably leave it like it is, if you want too.

But if your doing it for the likes of a HIPS pack, then change it to the more standard 2 pipe system.

my plumber says the upstairs has as to be changed to aparallel system

In reply to your question all boiler maunfactorers state that they boilers have to be installed on a fully pumped system! Therefore your plumber is right you must have a 2 pipe circuit to run you radiator system from.

A 1 pipe system could be classed as a fully pumped system.
Fully pumped basically means hot water and central heating are circulated via a pump and controlled in various ways.
A 3 pipe self balancing system is also fully pumped.
A gravity Primary and pumped central heating is not a fully pumped system. :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central Heating in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4...
Replies
Views
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock