Discuss Central heating leak found but not sure about how the plumber has welded the pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cammy0102

Hi guys,
After some quick advice as my builder's plumber is about to finish hte job.

Basically I had a leak in the central heating system (it's all brand new and the combi boiler started losing water pressure few months ago and it gradually got worse) after months of looking for it, I think tey'v efound the issue. It was a small leak under the bath and yesterday when they removed the bath and dug out to expose the pipes they foudn the leak.

The leak was in a T junction of one of the big copper pipes (22mm I think) and the drain (to empty water in central heating pipes) going outside the bathroom/house. This new plumber used by my builder/contractor yesterday created this apparatus to connect a compression meter and left it overnight. This morning we found there was no pressure loss in the combi boiler (phew!) and the plumber said the compression test passed. So we know that small leak was what was causing the loss in water pressure.

Anyway this morning the plumber left pretty much all of the apparatus but I am not entirely happy with it so wanted hear expert opinion. There are lots of joints in there (probalby 5,6) plus he's got joints going from big diameter pipe (probably 22mm) to small diameter copper pipe (probably 15mm) back to big diameter pipe. I've read that leaks are likely to happen in joints and the more joints you have surely the more chance of future leaks?

What do you think of this work? See picture attached. You can see how it was before and how it is now.
I probably prefer it to one straight pipe like before (but without the leak obviously)

Thanks guys.

DSC_1017.jpg

DSC_1018.jpg

http://*********/a/rPVWp

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Central heating leak found but not sure about how the plumber has welded the pipe

Pipe straight through in 22 mm,with slip coupling, and put drain off at rad valve where any future plumber can find it. Get rid of plastic fitting.Sheath pipe to allow movement. Original leak probably caused by restriction of tee piece in screed.

Re: Central heating leak found but not sure about how the plumber has welded the pipe

Pipe straight through in 22 mm,with slip coupling, and put drain off at rad valve where any future plumber can find it. Get rid of plastic fitting.Sheath pipe to allow movement. Original leak probably caused by restriction of tee piece in screed.

Thanks Joni. I told my main builder/contractor and I think he had a chat to the plumber (they are Czech) and he said he's happy with it and he'll take any responsibility if there are any future leaks.
They aer going to insulate all teh copper pipes (it looks like some of the pipes weren't insulated previously) and fill it with cement.
Yes it's a bit frustrating but the builder has given me his gurantee. What does the plastic bit do?

All brand new work, - you said?? Looks very poor DIY job. Those pipes should have been insulated to begin with.

i agree poor effort, also to insulate correctly they would have to dig up more than is there. all the copper needs protecting from the concrete, not just the small section shown.

And the 15mm valve is not rated for central heating.

If it's all buried as it looks just in concrete then prepare for many leaks in the coming years as concrete attacks copper and rots it over time.

If it's all buried as it looks just in concrete then prepare for many leaks in the coming years as concrete attacks copper and rots it over time.

Has either of these guys ever heard of the Building Regulations?

Have either of these guide heard of the Building Regulations? :banghead:

Poor effort I'm afraid alot of things wrong there

is he gas safe and also have you seen/ check he is ?

also is the benchmark completed in the back of the instruction book?

also any pics of the boiler install?

The pipework ( new and existing) is terrible. No insulation, nothing to stop corrosion. That's just the pipework!
Where's your damp proof membrane, where's the floor insulation? Your guarantee is not worth anything.
I would get building control to have a look at this, as your looking at all sorts of problems in the future.

The pipework ( new and existing) is terrible. No insulation, nothing to stop corrosion. That's just the pipework!
Where's your damp proof membrane, where's the floor insulation? Your guarantee is not worth anything.
I would get building control to have a look at this, as your looking at all sorts of problems in the future.

Double post

Guys, thanks for the replies but I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place. I did a full refurbishment as soon as I bought the flat about a year and half ago. At the time I had no idea about anything building related but I've learnt quite a lot (and important lesson not to trust most tradesmen and always keep an eye on them) but there's still a lot I don't know. I relied on my builder to do the right thing and whilst I think he's a good guy (he's sent his men around numerous times to fix things) he wasn't supervising them.

I dont' think the the plumbers he's used are gas certified. I believe the boiler installation was done by a separate Gas engineer and I've already got a gas safety certificate for that. Anyway I'm going to get an annual boiler service done by a British gas engineer soon so I'll ask him about the installation.

I go the plumber to dig out and expose the pipes in the bathroom and insulate all of it before adding concrete. I don't know if rest of the pipes that's under concrete (in the kitchen and part of the living room) are insulated or not but when I spoke to the plumber who did the work originally, he said he did insulate them but not sure what happened in the bathroom. He said he did insulate the pipes in teh bathroom and someone else has removed the sleeves.

It appears there's no damp proof membrane or insulation installed on the floor. Could this be causing damp issues? I had another thread created a while ago about tiles breaking in a section of the bathroom floor and how the floor was damp when the tiles were removed. Teh damp could be as a result of the leak from the pipes but the section of the floor that's damp seems to be about 1.5m from where the leak was.

Realistically there's not a lot I can do. What if I get building control? What's he going to tell me that I don't know? It's really not an option to rip out living room floor (wooden), bathroom and kitchen and re-do the whole thing. I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and hope that no leaks/other problems appear in the next 10 years or so. After that I could do another refurbishment but this time armed with the knowledge I'll make sure the builders follow proper guidelines.

PS: A quick googling of copper in concrete revealed that there;'s no conclusive evidence that concrete corrodes copper in fact some studies found it has no effect but they seem to suggest that joints could be damaged.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Central heating leak found but not sure about how the plumber has welded the pipes in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back