Discuss Career change /Fast track in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

solutions

Plumbers Arms member
Plumber
Gas Engineer
What is the general consensus regarding career change late entry fast track course engineers? Wondering how many gsr forum members with access to the arms have entered the trade via this route. I have although my journey started a fair few years ago now.

Dependant on the individual really, but as a general rule of thumb would say that the courses are very limited and a lot of the people entering them are chasing the myth of gas engineers earning 100k a year. Many people come out of them with a piece of paper, can't get a start with anybody, start on there own and experiment on the general public which in my opinion leads to a dumbing down of the profession.
Having said all that, there are some people who come on here and have entered the trade via that route who I would be happy to employ. There are some who entered via the traditional route who I wouldnt let carry my tool bass.

My cousin is a plumber, worked with me loads on jobs.

passed his acs couple of months ago, he's now working in jaguar pipe fitting.

i think ye mad to put yerself through doing ye gas ticket if ye new, too many people have got it sewn up if you're trying to start off, you'd need to go cards in IMO an some of the prices people pay, I'd rather work in Tescos.

I've a related question to ask: Do we think the fast track bubble has burst?

When I first joined this forum it was a buzz topic. Nowadays it's rarely mentioned. Obviously lots of people went through the centers and are now working/competing/try to but do we reckon far fewer are being trained in them now? Or has everyone just got used to it and stopped mentioning it?

I think people google it now, find this forum and see our views and find others saying how they wasted months of time and savings.

I know three people who did it at about 6k a pop. None of them stayed in the industry

I did after leaving the army in 2006. I got a place with the local council (my dad was a hight up in a different department) and knew the gas manager. I was lucky and given uniform and all sorts,worked there for 18 months unpaid as I didn't want to just jump in without knowing anything. It was planned over 12 months and I saved money to live during that period. I got a start about 5 weeks after my ACS and now I work for Transco. I think I went about It the right way,plenty research and a lot if hard graft and hard times with no wages. But I know it was right for me,I'm here now and probably here for a long time. It pays really well too.

I think people google it now, find this forum and see our views and find others saying how they wasted months of time and savings.

I know three people who did it at about 6k a pop. None of them stayed in the industry

Thats because it's a carp job. As said above, some of these late starters are annoyingly good. And some seem to have have more confidence than skill.

I am one of the 'fast trackers' and I did my c&g 6129 level 2 domestic plumbing course whilst still in the military. I found it a huge challenge going self employed straight off this course, but I could not afford to work for free for any length of time.

I was determined to learn the trade though and put in a lot of my own time reading, practising at home and learning the hard way too.

you get idiots through into the trade from both training methods. The person and their attitude to work is much more important than how they are trained in my opinion.

I am one of the 'fast trackers' and I did my c&g 6129 level 2 domestic plumbing course whilst still in the military. I found it a huge challenge going self employed straight off this course, but I could not afford to work for free for any length of time.

I was determined to learn the trade though and put in a lot of my own time reading, practising at home and learning the hard way too.

you get idiots through into the trade from both training methods. The person and their attitude to work is much more important than how they are trained in my opinion.

Its oue military background. Good work ethic

Once you know something, how you acquired that knowledge is irrelevant.

If you are planning to go self employed, attitude and personality are key - they can't be learned, and tbh don't change much after the age of about 20.

I know some technically skilled plumbers who could no more run a business than I could play a violin concerto.

Having said that, it does make me chuckle when I see people who really think that 6 or 10 weeks is enough to learn about plumbing. Its a trade, in which it takes about 10,000 hours to become an expert - the same length of time that it takes to become expert at many other things.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Career change /Fast track in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi there, I am currently in the forces looking to leave in the next year or so. i have a level 3 apprenticeship in electrical and mechanical...
Replies
Views
    • Funny
So err Hi 👋. Names Dave and I’m a banker (yeah feel free to mock). Always felt in the wrong type of career. Looking to change and gas career...
Replies
Views
Some advice please about a really worrying problem. I live in a terraced 2 bed room house. 10 days ago the gas combi boiler stopped heating the...
Replies
Views
[ASIDE: I did wonder if this was the best forum for this but figured as it was a boiler related issue that the gas engineers would be dealing...
Replies
Views
Vacancies within our Plumbing Team at City College Norwich Full time, ÂŁ23.789 - ÂŁ34,606 per annum dependant on appointment An exciting...
Replies
Views

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock