Search the forum,

Discuss Cant drain combination cylinder to change immersions ???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

bgec

Hi all

I know im missing something here, i cant see a drain off tap or any way of doing it. I thourght i got it undone the immersion and got soaked not to metion the panic in the loft that the nice new room below was ruined. I cleaned up and made my excuses and left. I do have to go back tommorow and get this done so any help would be great.

Hi, You could push a hose down the feed and syphon it out. these things can be a nightmare with no drain cock.

Is it going to be used again?

If not turn off water supply, open hot taps, when cistern empty make a hole in the top of the cylinder/ bottom of cistern and attach a 1m length of copper pipe to a hose and syphon the water out

there should be a drain of in a tapping on cylinder failing that you need to get a hose into the cold feed to syphon it you might need a length of smaller than normal hose to get down the pipework and join it to your normal hose with some gaffer tape

or Similar Idea, turn water off , open hot tap wait unti dry, now my guessing is that water level should be at top of cylinder, so cut pipe above cylinder connect hose to it and then try to lower pipe until it is below feed to cylinder.
does this make sense?

Hi, You could push a hose down the feed and syphon it out. these things can be a nightmare with no drain cock.
Is that the pipe in the top (or bottom of the expansion tank attached) is this the only way and sorry to be a nov but can you give me a clue how to syphon ?
oh and thanks for the quick replys all

Is that the pipe in the top (or bottom of the expansion tank attached) is this the only way and sorry to be a nov but can you give me a clue how to syphon ?
oh and thanks for the quick replys all

no i have to cahnge the immersions and put back into service unfortunatly.

or Similar Idea, turn water off , open hot tap wait unti dry, now my guessing is that water level should be at top of cylinder, so cut pipe above cylinder connect hose to it and then try to lower pipe until it is below feed to cylinder.
does this make sense?

Not 100% but tell me more ?

at the bottom of the cold there should be a pipe poking up from the bottom feeding the bottom cylinder. push the hose down there till it hits the bottom. take the other end of the hose as low as possible to somwhere you can drain it suck the water out. or you can maybe pump water back up it to get it going. also putting in a drain valve might be a good idea while its empty.

How to syphon:

1. Understand the principles first:

a) Bottom of hose at lower level than level of water you're syphoning and lower level than other end of pipe (not quite as easy as it sounds!)
b) Hose must not have air in it or an air lock will stop the syphoning
c) Syphoning starts with a vacuum and (I think) maintains a vacuum

2. Find a way that works for you!

The way I do it is to fill the hose with water, keep one end in container to be drained, block other end with finger and poke into drain. If this doesn't work I try sucking. If this doesn't work I use a jug and funnel to fill the hose from the draining end.

at the bottom of the cold there should be a pipe poking up from the bottom feeding the bottom cylinder. push the hose down there till it hits the bottom. take the other end of the hose as low as possible to somwhere you can drain it suck the water out. or you can maybe pump water back up it to get it going. also putting in a drain valve might be a good idea while its empty.

Thoourght thats what you ment great i will do that can i ask just one more? Do you think i could get away with a 10m hose or will i run out of puff ??

You might manage. I sometimes push the hose up against a tap to fill it with water to get it started. just make sure not to swallow any water if you do decide to suck it.

The way I do it is to fill the hose with water, keep one end in container to be drained, block other end with finger and poke into drain. If this doesn't work I try sucking.

I always suck. I'll suck a mouth full of filthy water out of an over-filled f+e, a mouth full of crusty bitty water out of a WC cistern, this job has turned me into a man without any squeamishness - even where it would be sensible. I'll run my hands around a toilet to tighten up a toilet seat and then eat my sandwiches without washing my hands.

I always suck. I'll suck a mouth full of filthy water out of an over-filled f+e, a mouth full of crusty bitty water out of a WC cistern, this job has turned me into a man without any squeamishness - even where it would be sensible. I'll run my hands around a toilet to tighten up a toilet seat and then eat my sandwiches without washing my hands.

Will remember not to shake your hand if I ever meet ya then!

Meh, I'm still alive. The way I see it is any hygeine beyond that which is strictly necessary to prevent you getting ill is superfluous.

.....Hardcore!

Yes a wetvac will start the syphon process, I can't believe most of you guys still don't have a wetvac, to hell with sucking on a dirty hosepipe. :rifle:

.....Hardcore!

Yes a wetvac will start the syphon process, I can't believe most of you guys still don't have a wetvac, to hell with sucking on a dirty hosepipe. :rifle:

Problem with vet vac is wet vacs are around 10-20 litre, tanks are 120 litre plus, so thats at least 6-12 trips up and down to the loft, also mine seems to leak when it is full, really, really annoying.

I have seen those hose pumps you can get, which are powered from the drill turning, just never got round to getting fittings for hose

Last edited by a moderator:
get to the home brew shop and get yourself a self priming syphon pump.

Problem with vet vac is wet vacs are around 10-20 litre, tanks are 120 litre plus, so thats at least 6-12 trips up and down to the loft, also mine seems to leak when it is full, really, really annoying.

I have seen those hose pumps you can get, which are powered from the drill turning, just never got round to getting fittings for hose
Your wet vac must be like mine from Wickes as mine leaks as well!!!!!

im amazed that plumbers dont realy understand how a syphon works you dont have to suck till the water comes just enough to get the water in to the pipe a 36 inch cylinder only needs the first 38inches of hose filling then it will run on its own

I suppose it is a big part of our job, syphonage,

However it isnt very often we actually syphon something out, the pipes,toilets i.e. all do it for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Cant drain combination cylinder to change immersions ???? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi, Can anyone advise as to why the cold water to my bathroom keeps airlocking? This originally happened about 12 months ago and has happened 3-4 times since. It’s an upstairs bathroom, fed from a tank in the attic. The tank is about 8 Meters away and feeds a bath, sink and toilet. The tank...
Replies
Views
Hi all I'm hoping someone can shine a light on this for me Since our stop tap on the pavement has now been filled with sand for whatever reason, we are relying on our property fitted stopcock (this is outside on our garage wall) Unfortunately turning this to the closed position only reduces...
Replies
Views
Hi, basic question, any insight much appreciated. Looking to have an outdoor tap in my front porch fed from 15mm pex coming up from suspended floor. Pic 1 is inside porch, pex temporarily clipped to give an idea of pipe placement (ignore shoddy blockwork of booted cowboy builder!), Pic 2 is...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock