Discuss Can you help me? Combi boiler or condenser? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi

just a quick one been looking into this myself also be aware that there are 2 types of condensor boiler:

Condensor combi (sealed system no tanks) and condensing regular (Y plan with tanks)

Have a look at both and work out which is best for you

Hmm!

One of the problems with a combi is the hot water flow rate. In a very simple way. Imagine you had a metre long piece of metal pipe and you put cold mains water in one end and heated the pipe with a blow lamp.
Now the water has only got a metre to travel before you want it to come out hot. So you need a lot of heat and the hotter or the bigger the pipe the more heat you need.

It's also why the amount of heat for the central heating side of a combi, is usually well within the amount of heat needed for the hot water. And why the bigger the boiler the more water you can get out of it.

So you may get something like a 12kW combi but the central heating would only require say 10kW. It is possible to get it wrong of course and get a boiler that is enough for the hot water but not enough for the central heating. So you have to get some idea of what you want first.

A condenser is more about efficiency than anything else. If you stick your hand in a boiler flue plume its hot I can tell you. But the heat goes to the atmosphere and is wasted. So a condenser recirculates it and makes it heat more of the water in the boiler. That's basically it. It isn't that simple though its just to give you some idea.

So basically a condensing boiler either of a standard type or a combi is supposedly more efficient than the none condensing boiler. And if you have got a lot of taps you need a big boiler and you need the water pressure and flow coming into the house to be able to supply all those taps as combi boilers usually have a lot of resistance and require decent pressure to push the water through it.

There are plenty of websites that will tell you more about combi's. But as has been said you are very reliant on them for both heat and hot water and they are reputed not to be all that reliable and so I would advise you to get yourself one of the repair plans going about.:):):):)

Last edited by a moderator:
Some would argue that with the new regs coming in soon then looking forward you could do worse that putting in a condensing system boiler with a new twin coil unvented cylinder, them you will have high pressure for shower etc, lashings of hot water and a cylinder which could be connected up to a renewable source such as solar in the future,

Oiley:

Is that a 'system boiler'? They latest guy suggested going down that route - ie pressurised system, but retaining the shower pump and hot water cylinder and having to heat water each day. Sort of half way between the combi route and what we have. BTW I have asked the neighbours - they do have combis and like them, so I know our mains pressure should be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can you help me? Combi boiler or condenser? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

PLUMBING ADVICE NEEDED Combi boiler in our house, downstairs water seems to be piping hot. Upstairs basin, bath and shower only ever seems to...
Replies
Views
I have just had a boiler, hot water tank and power shower pump replaced on advice by my plumber. I have two separate boilers, heat/hotwater...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I have a combi boiler for hot water and heating but have 2 showers in the house. Obviously low water pressure if both showers are used at...
Replies
Views
We have hot water, tank for hot water why is the hot water boiling hot from tap,and shower, We are on a schedule for hot water via our hive app...
Replies
Views
J
Boiler broke over Xmas and needs replacing and I’m tempted to move away from our 1985 gravity fed system and get a combi as many other parts of...
Replies
Views
Jack Canfield
J

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock