Search the forum,

Discuss Can you Cut Back Old Lead Soil Pipe inside Block of Flats? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Scorps79

Hi,

We are having a new Back to wall toilet fitted
with a 'box' built to hide the cistern.
The plumber/bathroom fitter has said he cannot
cut into the old lead soil pipe which will be behind the
pan. if we could cut it back though it would mean this
'box' could be reduced which would be great otherwise
the toilet pan will stick out very close to the towel rail.

I assume this soil pipe runs to the other flats above/below
in the block, is there a way it can be cut back?

Please see the photo - the soil pipe is the lower pipe
with black bag in it. Above it I think is a vent pipe
running from the loft- again in lead - can this one also
be cut back?
I have no idea how difficult this is or if it may
affect any of the flats but it would make a
difference to our small bathroom if we could do
something with these pipes.

[DLMURL]https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/D7M_5oBNoAu1zCm9d_9xQFA8aixrQ2p05cACHpcKovo?feat=directlink[/DLMURL]

Last edited by a moderator:
A 3"" adaptor and bent multikwik with section of 4" pipe plus another mulikwik £30 worth of fittings,the top pipe will need knocking across otherwise will foul flush pipe a board will prob need fitting to sit flush of top pipe to mount cistern on you really cant make boxing any smaller so I would go with what your plumber is saying and just make connection into existing lead pipe..brum

you need a proper old style plumber, trouble is they dont exist any more, or do they?

Amazeballs! Flat u say, vented internal stack I see? Clear standing of that one I am!

With out ripping the whole lead system out; you will need an old school plumber that can do lead work. Not many about now a days. Oxy/acetylene portapack with some code 8 lead and the plumber with the skill and all will be resolved. You could get it done by wiping a joint with plumbers metal, but doubt if many can do this.

the joinery work is away over the top 4x2 by the looks of it ? you could put your feet out in the hall if it gets any further out from the wall ?

With out ripping the whole lead system out; you will need an old school plumber that can do lead work. Not many about now a days. Oxy/acetylene portapack with some code 8 lead and the plumber with the skill and all will be resolved. You could get it done by wiping a joint with plumbers metal, but doubt if many can do this.

Hi
Ware are you used to do a very good lead burn

Thank you all for the replies.

We have agreed to leave the lead pipes as they are
and just try and use fittings which mean the toilet pan
is as close to the pipe as possible.

could be cut back to 50mm infront of where the vent pipe joins in difficult to tell how far that is from picture then use a muliquick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reply to Can you Cut Back Old Lead Soil Pipe inside Block of Flats? in the Plumbing Jobs | The Job-board area at PlumbersForums.net

Similar plumbing topics

Hi , i'm new to this forum & would like some advice , i have an upstairs bathroom & was wondering if i could put a cloackroom loo downstairs , my worry is how do i connect to the existing soil pipe , or is it possible to dig under where the new loo will be in case the soil pipe runs along the...
Replies
Views
Hi, I've not posted for a while, not a plumber, but a keen DIYer who likes to try and do things without bodging if I can. Basically I'm wanting to create a cloakroom toilet in our utility room, theres already hot and cold feed so thats one job made slightly easier, thankfully. The problem I'm...
Replies
Views
Hi - I'm not an expert but wondered if anyone might be able to assist. I've replaced an old toilet with a new one. I've used the same water inlet pipe, and have just replaced the right angled soil pipe connecter (110 at toilet end to a 97-107 connector end to existing soil pipe). It's secured...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Have got an old 60/70s PVC soil stack, the Toilet is going into a Hunter branded socket which has an old O-ring design (quite flat with 3 or 4 ribs on it). It's painted in a fetching pink/purple colour in the photo. Tried to revive it with some grease before inserting a short length of...
Replies
Views
Trying to connect up new 40mm waste into the old soil stack (which would be an absolute pain to remove), it's all Osma pipe, from the 70s. Pulled out the old waste from the boss and discovered the seal is pretty knackered, hardened and cracked everywhere (red coloured seal in the photo)...
Replies
Views
Creating content since 2001. Untold Media.

Newest Plumbing Threads

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock